Roland A-300 Pro Constantly Disconnects

sadicus

Roland A-300 Pro Constantly Disconnects from Cakewalk and even thought the controller itself is sending midi data Cakewalk is not receiving it. Divice Manager shows the device as working correctly.

As far as performance (latency, etc.) Is there any difference to using the USB connection vs Regular MIDI cables?
It's currently connected via USB, but this issue is making difficult to get anything done.

If the USB is physically disconnected  then re connected, Cake walk will ask to keep settings or route to another device, both options are hit or miss.

USB has a much higher transfer rate - 2 orders of magnitude, but people play just fine with MIDI. Have you tried moving the on/off switch? I normally keep mine switched on and rely on USB power. Once the on/off switch wasn't fully on and the display lit up, but the USB connection was flakey.

Edited by rsinger
  • Like 1

It may be possible that you moved the port the A-300 was connected to, and that can confuse Cakewalk, which will look like everything is fine, but really the internal identification of it has gotten whacky, and it won't respond to MIDI, but only in Cakewalk, meaning it will work fine in other programs, such as in stand-alone synths or a different DAW. 

I wish I could explain this potential cause better, but it has been several years since I have had this happen, because I never ever change which USB ports my keyboards are connected to.

I am hopeful that someone else can weigh in on this issue for you - I would have to dig through stuff to go back and figure out what I did to fix it, from 3 years ago, and I have a pretty adventure-filled day today.

If nobody else has helped you out by late afternoon or early evening, I will try to circle back to dig into my prior experiences with it. :)

Bob Bone

• Like 1

Checking a few things and A-300 is USB powered + The switch is set to "ON" and even with the PC turned off.
I have a set and forget cabling setup, once Every thing is working Cables are labeled and I don't move them!
Over the next few days I will really take note of when this happens. Currently it's all working as expected.
I did notice one strange thing when creating a new MIDI track, sometimes the INPUT settings have more than one device checked on and it won't work.
Yet setting it to "NONE" (Omni) still does not fix the issue. My other controller is sending data, but the A-300 does not.

Also is there a visual App to show in/out MIDI besides this ridiculously small icon?

cbb-A300-MIDI.jpg

Edited by sadicus