2021.01 Fails to install and then doesn't start

@DeeringAmps thanks for sending that. I see the same output on my system so nothing abnormal there.

Can you save the attached batch file to any folder on your system such as the root directory C:\

Then open an administrator command prompt by typing "command" into the search box. (right click on 
the command prompt item and choose run as administrator)
When the command prompt opens, navigate to the folder where you saved the batch file by typing:

cd c:\

next run the batch file by typing

registerauto

Let me know what is displayed by the batch file.

registerauto.bat

• Like 1

I am getting this exact error as well.

1. Opened Cakewalk by Bandlab 15min ago
  2. Was alerted to an upgrade in the lower right corner
  3. Began that process
  4. Closed Cakewalk
  5. Continued that process
  6. Got the "Unable to register the DLL" error above.

Now I can't access any version of the software.

When I try, I get:

• "The code execution cannot proceed because libmp3lame.DLL was not found.", and then 
  • "The code execution cannot proceed because sndfile.DLL was not found.", and then
  • "The code execution cannot proceed because lame_enc.dll was not found."

Edited by Silver_Stretch

Hi Folks,

Thanks to @DeeringAmps I was able to reproduce the issue on his PC remotely. It was indeed a missing dependency. He didn't catch it the first time since he ran the dependency tool on 2020.11 rather than 2021.01.

Here is an updated installer for 2021.01 that should fix the problem. Download and run it and please report back if it solves your install issues.

• Thanks 1

1. I am running Waves
  2. I don't have any Waves V12 plugins
  3. Waves Central is updated to the latest version
  4. I don't see any tasks or services in Task Manager that look like anything Waves
  5. I tried to open CbB before and after a clean reboot
  6. The only rollback I could find errored out saying (essentially) I didn't have the right version to roll back to

Thank you very much for noticing my post and for your quick reply.

Chuck

Noel I ran the installer you posted above 15min ago and it appears to have worked. The application opens, claims to be up to date, and assures me that "27.01.0.098 is the latest available version." That is a relief.

Thanks for your reply and for staying on top of this stuff. 

Chuck

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Decryptid said:

I'm having the same problem, my computer says it's missing a necessary part and I tried the updated installer, but it said it required a different version (2020.11).

Which installer are you trying to run and from where? The current version of the installer should read "Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Update_Setup_27.01.0.098_r3.exe" and should update any valid install from 2020.11 through 2021.01. If you're seeing r1 or r2 for the update setup, please try downloading the installer again from either the Check for Updates option or BandLab Assistant. 

13 hours ago, Decryptid said:

I've already tried reinstalling the installer and got the same thing. Here's a screenshot of the error message, if that helps.

Screenshot (111).png

okay, so for this particular file, you're in the "something is blocking this file from being able to register" scenario. This is distinct from the main issue originally in this thread that was a missing dependency from an updated Visual Studio redistributable package. That was resolved in the updated installer.

If you see this error for items in the Shared Plugins folder, you should be able to skip that and the rest of the main Cakewalk install will be fine (and if you're updating those files are already registered). The issues with the sndfile.dll and cwauto130.dll are more integral parts of the app.

Your issue is likely either an antivirus program or pending Windows update that's preventing the file from being able to successfully register here. Try forcing Windows to finish any updates and/or temporarily disable your antivirus while running the installer and it should ultimately go through.

Alternately you could try reinstalling the included redists manually, but I wouldn't expect this to be the necessary case. Something else currently running in Windows is much more likely to be the issue. If there has been an issue with the redists since the last full Cakewalk install, they can be manually downloaded from Microsoft here:

VS2019:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads-2647da03-1eea-4433-9aff-95f26a218cc0 

VS2013:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

VS2010SP1:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13523

VS2005:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26347

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 1:05 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Hi Folks,

Thanks to @DeeringAmps I was able to reproduce the issue on his PC remotely. It was indeed a missing dependency. He didn't catch it the first time since he ran the dependency tool on 2020.11 rather than 2021.01.

Here is an updated installer for 2021.01 that should fix the problem. Download and run it and please report back if it solves your install issues.

I downloaded that installer. it still gives me the exact same error message stating that version 2020.11 is required. The revert program also gives me the same message. How do I get the install for 2020.11? I was able to install from File version 24.4.0.13 that I downloaded back in 4/4/2018. But that will not update successfully.

Ok I have some bigger issues to handle. I have sonar x2 and platinum. I then had cakewalk by Sonar. When Cakewalk by Bandlab was introduced, I did that as well and did any updates through the assistant.

Well now the Assistant just shows the picture, no buttons nothing but the pic. The desktop Icon for Cbb says its missing dll's and I can see that there has been multiple updates that havent gone thru because of the assistant not working. And yes I have uninstalled multiple times but nothing I do brings back the assistant to working properly. Can Someone please help me? I also went into control panel to fix Microsoft C++ but now I dont know what is wrong and It's way beyond my pay grade! Please help me!