Cut'n'Paste Clips - Truncated

marcL

Description: I have 2 clips in different take lanes and I want to merge them, i.e. leave the start of the target lane and copy the ending of the source lane so that they OVERLAP with a crossfading.

1.  I Split the clips at about the same position, so that they overlap.
  2. I add a fade out/in to the clips at the overlap.
  3. I select both clips with the comping tool (unmute them). It sound okay when playing.
  4. I cut (or copy) the source clip and paste it into the same location of the target clip.
  5. I bounce the result to clips, okay.

I must add that I have set "Blend Old and New" in the Drag and Drop Options. Most of the time the above process runs perfect. But sometimes it drives me nuts, because the target clip is always cut off (truncated) at the overlap position, so that there is only a fade-in instead of a crossfade. The weird thing is that in the same session it runs with other clips/takes in the same track! WTF do I do wrong?

As a workaround I copied the 2 overlapping clips to a new empty track (same positions) and bounced them to clips. This worked like expected.

But still I wonder whether there is a proper solution? One thing I have to check next time when the problem occurs is whether it makes a difference if I copy the first clip to the lane of the 2nd one or vice versa.

I've seen and reported similar behavior years ago. No one had an answer that I can remember.

There's times when "the machine" just does what it wants to. :S

For me, clips would overlap as expected but then after awhile, for no reason,  just moving a clip over another one would cut it at the intersecting point.

When this happens, it may be possible to simply drag the clipped end back over the other clip where it should be, but I never tried that.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sjoens said:

When this happens, it may be possible to simply drag the clipped end back over the other clip where it should be, but I never tried that.

In my case it did not work to copy the 2nd clip behind the 1st one and then move it over. It was only pushing the separation of the other clip instead of overlapping. The only thing that worked for me was to copy the clips to a new track and do the whole bouncing in there and copy back the result clip into the lane.

Maybe you were in comping mode and it keeps thinking (and acting) like your selecting portions of the clips to comp. Can you change to sound on sound and see if it acts better?

If not can you get a recipe for a repro and submit it? 

I also come across some strange stuff using take lanes when trying to edit the takes as I would a regular trek. But have not been able to get any reproducible steps to submit.

22 hours ago, Grem said:

Maybe you were in comping mode and it keeps thinking (and acting) like your selecting portions of the clips to comp. Can you change to sound on sound and see if it acts better? 

If not can you get a recipe for a repro and submit it?  

I also come across some strange stuff using take lanes when trying to edit the takes as I would a regular trek. But have not been able to get any reproducible steps to submit. 

Yes, I am in comping mode. But I do not understand why it was working several times before with other clips and also when I copied the clips to an empty track it was working! To me it seems it just happens in about 5 to 10% of the cases. It is very strange! And even when I continued to work in the same project and assembled other clips, it worked!

Sorry, I was a bit dense that I did not backup the project for reproduction 🙃. Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the case anymore. ☹️

The only strange take lane behaviour I can always reproduce is when I COPY a clip and paste it into another lane at the same position, then the clip disappears in the original lane (like with cut and paste). But when I re-paste it into the original lane, then I get the required result!

Yep, now I have found out in what case the overlap goes wrong!

You can reproduce it with any 2 clips:

1. Just split the clips at 2 shifted positions so that they overlap (or split at the same position and shift one clip borders).
  2. Set the now time to the start of the 2nd clip (the one on the right side!).
  3. Cut/copy the 2nd clip and paste it into the lane of the first clip.
  4. RESULT: The first clip is being truncated!

If you cut/copy the first of the 2 clips, then it works as expected, i.e. you get an overlap. So it seems that most of the time I did it that way (it worked) and in some rare cases I tried to cut/copy the rear clip that caused the bug (yes, it is surely a bug IMHO).