Waves WUP Sale - 25% Off

cclarry

10 minutes ago, Zo said:

No it's when you have a component that has a lot of dayz reamining , witch is the case of last cla stuff , unselecting this dropped me to 180 , and 159 from Koby 

Yes, if you are trying to buy WUP for something that the WUP has not expired, then YES, it will also go over the $240 cap

6 hours ago, mibby said:

What do I get for that?

The non-tongue-in-cheek answer is:

a) Find out when your WUP expired

b) Go to https://www.waves.com/downloads/release-notes and read what has been updated since (note that the page initially shows v12 and you'll need to click on the tabs for v11 etc). You probably want to search the page for the bundles that you have (except the Abbey Road bundle, of course) and see which plugins have been added to them.

Example: If you have Mercury, the following plugins have been added to it over the last few years:

(2017) BSS DPR-402, X-FDBK, Scheps Parallel Particles, Waves Tune Real-Time, Greg Wells series, Primary Source Expander, Smack Attack, F6 Floating-Band Dynamic EQ, Brauer Motion, CLA MixDown, Torque

(2018) Scheps Omni Channel,  PRS SuperModels, Electric Grand 80, Sibilance,

(2019) CLA MixHub, Submarine, Infected Mushroom Pusher, Berzerk Distortion, MDMX Distortion Modules

(2020) MultiMod Rack, Playlist Rider, Kaleidoscopes, CLA EchoSphere, CLA Epic,

(2021) Vocal Bender

Like many other products, if you can wait and not upgrade right away but every 2 or 3 years instead, then upgrading becomes more effective

• Like 2

Never WUPped but might have to for v12. Some observations on the pricing.

Nothing on duplicate licenses here because I don't have any.

I think when pricing goes over $240 pre-discount, the rate it uses is still $240 per year, and WUP just goes for longer. In one case I have a plugin that is still under wup and expires Sep 2 2021, or six months from now. If I include that one, everything is wupped for 18 months rather than 12, but I pay $360 rather than $240 to extend out. Then the discount applies.

But this seems generally NOT worth doing. It might be in one small case, where you're not going to buy any waves plugins soon, want WUP for over a year, and think there will not be a sale like this again. Otherwise if you buy a plugin next month it will expire in 13 months. If you would have WUPped for 12, then in a year and a bit WUP for another 12, that plugin would be covered. If you WUP for 18 months now it would expire sooner probably.

The one "bonus" in the new system is that if you have plugins expiring in the next month, they get included without increasing the cost and you get another month free. For example, only the expired plugins is 12 months for $240. Including a plugin that expires in 2 weeks does not raise the cost and WUPs everything for one year and two weeks. But this is a small victory and only works for some people... it is not possible to just acquire a plugin that expires in two weeks if you don't have one already.

• Like 1

sent my request number off to Koby but can't help thinking a year of slate bundle is $12.50 a month, and WUP is more than that for plugins that were already "purchased." We get OS/DAW compatibility updates but they would need to create those even without WUP to be able to be able to keep the plugins on the market.

Edited by mister_tea
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, BassDaddy said:

Waves is and has been a subscription

Seriously, it's not, and I think that unfortunately there is some degree of "fear" factor, fueled by WUP complaints, that cause people to "subscribe" when they don't need to.

You can mix and match waves versions (e.g., run v9 IM Pusher, v10 CLA Guitars and v12 OVox) installed in the same machine and in the same DAW session and it's perfectly OK. You really don't need to WUP.

There are cases where upgrading gives something valuable (new plugins added to a bundle, support for new OS  requirements like happened for Catalina, or support for new hardware such as higher-res screens, the 2nd license, etc). If this is your case, just evaluate what you get and decide if the price is right. New plugins in 2017 is a good example of what I mean. In 2017 if you added up the (2017) prices of the new plugins added to Mercury, it is noticeably more money than a year of WUP. If you wanted the plugins you'd be better off getting WUP instead of purchasing those plugins separately.

Then, plugin prices went down and WUP prices didn't, making it less interesting. Time will tell if WUP prices come down and it will become a better deal again.

In any case, since Waves is allowing the coexistence of versions and not forcing the upgrades, WUP is something good to have as a choice.

• Like 2

I still love and use my Waves plugins. V9-v12. 

I also use and love the sound of my UA plugins.  But  Waves reverb emulations, WavesTune, SSL, and API plugins are almost as good sounding as the UAD stuff. The only thing I can really see that UAD has the Waves doesn't is the Unison Technology.

Will I WUP? Eventually yes. But I haven't had a need yet. Even though Koby quoted me a great price, I just don't see a need yet.

2 hours ago, Grem said:

I still love and use my Waves plugins. V9-v12. 

I also use and love the sound of my UA plugins.  But  Waves reverb emulations, WavesTune, SSL, and API plugins are almost as good sounding as the UAD stuff. The only thing I can really see that UAD has the Waves doesn't is the Unison Technology.

Will I WUP? Eventually yes. But I haven't had a need yet. Even though Koby quoted me a great price, I just don't see a need yet.

Now hat i have both i can fairlly say  that compression wise , uad smashes waves ... for the rest diff is there specilaly on the low def and high s and mainlybimho due to quality and upsampling ... 

Reverb wise , a lot of brands got it right , official ones (lexicon , eventide , tc ) have been consistant from'start ...

• Like 1