This program is impossible to use.

Matt Ramona

I have been fiddling with this program for 2 days and can not get any sound out of my computer speakers except during record I get the metronome. I was hoping this might be a replacement for garageband, but garageband is so much more intuitive and just plain works. Uninstalling. Really unfortunate.

• Meh 1

Thee is a manual that you should read. Garageband is a very simple program that comes with Macs. Cakewalk is more like Logic. Cakewalk needs to be on a Windows machine. If you're  running it on a Mac I can imagine you would have problems. 

• Like 1

@Matt Ramona  If you are Windows platform I would suggest trying Mixcraft

https://acoustica.com/mixcraft

When it is on sale it is a great deal and might be what you are looking for.

Also John is right about reading the manual.  Cakewalk is a very powerful DAW but it is not an entry level DAW.  You really need to dive in and spend time to learn the program to get the most out of it.   As an example I just brought Affinity Photo and it is a extremely deep program that is taking time to learn but I'm glad I purchased it for a great price.

Cakewalk DAW can't be learned overnight but if you spend time with it you will find out how great it is.   My "3 cents" today because of inflation :D

You are facing a change from Mac to Win and this sounds like a basic setup problem.

If you are serious about getting going with Cakewalk and not just trolling, take the time to describe the problem. Theres some real helpful people here.

Edited by twelvetone

3 hours ago, Matt Ramona said:

. . . but garageband is so much more intuitive . . .

There is nothing innate here, it is based on a variety of factors including personal preferences, past experiences, familiarity.  For example, this past year I found a software modular synthesizer that resonated with my early experiences using a Moog synthesizer.  The software was easy for me to use because I had hands on experiences with the Moog.  It has nothing to do with the software being innately intuitive or unintuitive.

I understand frustrations when trying to learn or do something new, something unfamiliar. However saying X is innately more intuitive or Y is innately unintuitive is counterproductive to buckling down and tackling a learning curve.  Why not just admit that something is new to you, has a different workflow, is unfamiliar to you, etc. and on that basis you are struggling with the learning curve? 

For example, there is another DAW which some people like. I have tried to use it without success in large part because all of the visual and functional elements are very unfamiliar to me.  They are not the same as other DAWs I have used. 

But, it is not innately unintuitive.  If I wanted to re-learn what I already know how to do in other software, I am empowered because I know why I find it difficult to use and can (if I choose) overcome those obstacles.  

• Like 1

The op will not return and no loss. Is it just me or are people getting stupider every year?  
Even us old farts know that there’s a YouTube for leaning about just about everything from How to kill a Chicken 🐔 to fixing your toilet seat.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, John Vere said:

The op will not return and no loss. Is it just me or are people getting stupider every year?  
Even us old farts know that there’s a YouTube for leaning about just about everything from How to kill a Chicken 🐔 to fixing your toilet seat.  

You are correct, people are getting stupider. They think they're getting smarter, because they know how to use search engines, and then act like they actually know something. What they don't teach anymore in school is how to actually think.

when the next Mass Coronal Ejection hits, like in the 1800s, and the grid is fried, we'll find out who the smart people are.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bdickens said:

Drive by troll.

Hard to tell, really. Yeah, could be  a plant from one of the paid DAWS; they have to be feeling something of a hit these days. Or just someone who has only used "user-friendly" programs, and expected to make award-winning videos in a day or two. Then they realized , uh yeah, bit of a learning curve here. If that's the case, they will find the same thing with every other DAW they try,  of course.  If they're serious, they'll put in the time. My guess is, naw, they won't be back.

He's following this thread so it's hard to say what his motivation is for posting. He's either upset and venting and looking for help in a roundabout way or just trying to upset people.

I try to take the "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar" approach. If the fly doesn't come then I don't give them the vinegar either and just move along. 

• Great Idea 1

39 minutes ago, mdiemer said:

..when the next Mass Coronal Ejection hits, like in the 1800s, and the grid is fried, we'll find out who the smart people are.

I beg your forgiveness, I couldn't resist. 

And yes, this was all recorded in Cakewalk (well Sonar actually, but just because Sonart wasn't as good as CbB, it still counts :)

Edited by Craig Anderton
  • Like 1

I don't think the OP is trolling. He's just frustrated because the application turned out to be more complicated than he'd expected. It makes sense; moving from Garageband to  Cakewalk is a big step, akin to going from making PB&J sandwiches to preparing a 7-course meal.

It's sad that Matt's response was to quickly give up, because we know we could have helped him along. But I'm guessing he's a young fellow who's never taken on a long-term commitment before. He may be back after he's older and wiser. Or Garageband may be all he'll ever need. To each his own.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Or Garageband may be all he'll ever need. To each his own.

Garageband is a pretty capable program, and it sounds like the OP is the target market for whom it was designed. Apple realized there needed to be an on ramp to Logic. Apple does make the interface and connection process, which is where he seems to be having trouble,  easier than Windows. However, you're right that if he'd persisted, we could have at least gotten him up and running.

What a lot of people don't realize that when they open CbB (or Logic, for that matter), they're being given the keys to what would have been a quarter-million dollar studio not that long ago - but without an engineer or tape op. It's as if the OP had walked into the Record Plant with no knowledge of what connected to the patch bay, how to sync to time code, etc.

I sympathize with people who want to express their musical ideas and then they run into technological roadblocks. But, learning an instrument isn't easy, either. 

• Like 3

Craig I agree with the notion that there is work to working with MIDI and audio. No one is born with how to work with it or with a computer.  I go back to my Army basic training when my drill Sargent said " we did it and you will do it too." This was said at the beginning of the day  usually in the dark and after he had told us what we were going to do that day.  Will can be replaced with "can".  He was right, we did do it. It was his and the training cadre's work with us that kept me alive in Vietnam. 

Anything of value requires work.  Cakewalk is an easy program to learn compared to many others but it is for those that want to learn. 

13 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

I beg your forgiveness, I couldn't resist. 

And yes, this was all recorded in Cakewalk (well Sonar actually, but just because Sonart wasn't as good as CbB, it still counts :)

Wonderful. It would be great if our fearless leaders took your advice and we were prepared for this eventuality. Unfortunately, as we know, politicians are reactive, not proactive. They're only worried about the next election.

I plan to live on acorns when this happens. The squirrels and chipmunks who now beg for a handout will grow to despise me.