Reverb Tails using SENDS

Matthew

So im new to using Sends.........I know I know. FML for not knowing about them till now. I'm still kinda a newb but im getting there.

Heres my question.

So I Made a Bus, Named it Reverb. Smacked a really nice reverb on there and will use this as a send bus for all tracks I need to add reverb to. 

I have this track called ( white noise ) its a combination of white noise and other things. Its a audio clip, not midi. Really nice for background stuff. I decided I want to add reverb to this clip. So, I created a send and routed it to the reverb bus. Well, I also Made a ( White noise ) "bus" so I could add compression and other stereo effects to the clip. Then routed the track to that bus. So, I now have the track bused out to the ( white noise ) "bus" and sent out using a send to the "reverb bus".

I have everything sounding really nice, but the problem is I have a break in the song that I want the (white noise ) clip to stop and come back in. So I decide to do volume automation in order to silence the track at that point then automation to engage that track back when the break is over. However when I do that the trails from the reverb still linger and I dont want that to happen. So I also automated the original tracks send fader to silence the reverb as well. Now, the original tracks "volume" is automated and the original tracks "send fader" is automated, but I still hear the trails of the reverb lingering during that break. Im confused....?

So as a test, I brought the "send" fader all the way down so the reverb is not audible. I then listen back to the track with just the volume automation applied and I don't hear any reverb or reverb tails existing on the clip or during the break in the song. So one would assume that by automating the original tracks "Volume" and the original tracks "send fader" would achieve the desired effect im going for, but to no avail.

If anyone can enlighten me on what im missing so I can figure out what im doing wrong. It would be a great help. Thanks all.

Also, I know that was a lot, so I can clarify any questions or confusion there might be.

4 hours ago, Matthew said:

acks "send fader" is automated, but I still hear the trails of the reverb lingering during that break. Im confused....?

So as a test, I brought the "send" fader all the way down so the reverb is not audible. I then listen back to the track with just the volume automation applied and I don't hear any reverb or reverb tails existing on the clip or during the break in the song. So one would assume that by automating the original tracks "Volume" and the original tracks "send fader" would achieve the desired effect im going for, but to no avail.

If anyone can enlighten me on what im missing so I can figure out what im doing wrong. It would be a great help. Thanks all.

A few things that come to mind and to look at:

• Is the send pre or post fader
  • You can also automate the bus that the reverb is on with a volume envelope
  • I remember a function in Sonar (cakewalk), that you can enable to 'play effect tails' in the preference menu, make sure this is disengaged

Let me know if any of those work,

CJ

• Like 1

The send is post fader.

I dont want to automate the reverb bus because I have other tracks sent out to that bus, so if I do automate the reverb bus it will also automate reverb for other tracks that are sent to that bus, which I dont want.

Edited by Matthew

1 hour ago, HIBI said:

You might want to add one more reverb bus for that.

Yeah there is really no other way to do this other than having the reverb on an independent bus and automating the send. 

Or just put a reverb inline on that tracks effects bin which might be a simpler solution.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Or just put a reverb inline on that tracks effects bin which might be a simpler solution.

Ah yeah it might be a simpler solution if the target track which needs no reverb tails is only one.

• Like 1