On Board Sound with Cakewalk

John Vere

Well, I was 'this' close to giving up on Cakewalk (beginner user). Couldn't get any sound out of my laptop headphones even after a considerable effort via Google and YouTube.  You very clearly and succinctly covered this topic on the idiosyncrasies of motherboard sound card/chip settings. And, you know, sometimes it's the little things that are so valuable too,  like mentioning that ASIO is only pertinent for off-motherboard sound devices. I now understand, finally, that ASIO can be of no use to me unless I were to get one of those external USB sound thingies.

Thank you!!

Oh, by the way, that original song you recorded on your YouTube channel; quite good.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ToneDefLeppard said:

Well, I was 'this' close to giving up on Cakewalk (beginner user). Couldn't get any sound out of my laptop headphones even after a considerable effort via Google and YouTube.  You very clearly and succinctly covered this topic on the idiosyncrasies of motherboard sound card/chip settings. And, you know, sometimes it's the little things that are so valuable too,  like mentioning that ASIO is only pertinent for off-motherboard sound devices. I now understand, finally, that ASIO can be of no use to me unless I were to get one of those external USB sound thingies.

Thank you!!

Oh, by the way, that original song you recorded on your YouTube channel; quite good.

Thank you for the feedback. I made the video because I couldn't actually find one that was up to date. And Cakewalk is just a tiny bit more picky than some other applications that use your sound chip. It is one of the most commonly asked questions from 1st time users. " I can't get any sound!! please help!" 

In the past most Cakewalk ( Sonar) users always had an Audio interface but now because the program is free there is probably a lot more folks who can't afford real Studio gear but want to try recording.  It is amazing that it was not that long ago that any type of recording ( and sequencing) cost a minimum of well over $1,000. 

Example I now have a FREE VST that replaced my $1,400 Korg Poly 800. Sounds just as good if not better. 

But as you progress you most certainly will want a good audio interface and studio monitors.  

• Like 1