Alternative configs of CW?

grannis

Question

I work in several places with my laptop, with different interfaces that need different configs. Is it possible to to store the driver options, buffer sizes etc in an init file, and to start cakewalk with a different init file using Windows shortcuts?

I can see from the doc that there are init files, but I can't see anywhere that answers the rest of my question.

I find it a pain to have to start cakewalk, wait for the error "No devices... " then have to go an manually set the preferences each time.

4 answers to this question

3 hours ago, grannis said:

I work in several places with my laptop, with different interfaces that need different configs. Is it possible to to store the driver options, buffer sizes etc in an init file, and to start cakewalk with a different init file using Windows shortcuts?

Not out of the box, no.

However, if you are ok at scripting, you could write a script that copies your required INI files in to the respective folders before starting Cakewalk by Bandlab....  I am not sure how this would really, as I have not tried this. (or required to)

I do a similar thing with Workspaces - though that involves writing values to the registry prior to starting Cakewalk by Bandlab.

This is something that is on our "to do" list, but for the time being what I do is store the following in separate folders for each configuration:

Cakewalk.ini  (general cakewalk settings)
TTSSeq.ini  (MIDI device settings)
Aud.ini (Audio device settings)

If you're using a control surface, also copy ctrlsurface.dat 

Before starting Cakewalk, I just copy the relevant set files to %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

As @Promidi has said, you could create a batch file to do this for you.

One thing I would add though, it's important that:
- You always use the same USB ports
- If possible, start up your machine with all the relevant devices connected so that they're always picked up by Windows in the same order

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Perry said:

That doesn't swap between driver modes, which requires a registry change.

That could be scripted too. Is there any info on what the entries need to be?

2 hours ago, Promidi said:

Not out of the box, no.

However, if you are ok at scripting, you could write a script that copies your required INI files in to the respective folders before starting Cakewalk by Bandlab....  I am not sure how this would really, as I have not tried this. (or required to)

I do a similar thing with Workspaces - though that involves writing values to the registry prior to starting Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Ah interesting. I’m just discovering the power of workspaces and wondered about that