Weird MIDI problem

Leizer

I am trying to connect my Yamaha P-80 piano (MIDI out) to a RME UCX (MIDI in) interface. I got no sound at all and no reaction in the chosen CbB track and nothing is recorded, but on the other hand some keys trigger functions in Cakewalk. F.ex. metronome on/off, auto-punch toggle on/off and loop on/off. How do I get rid of the triggering keys and get the piano to actually play so I hear the sounds from the chosen track?

If I set Local On in the piano I can hear the internal P-80 piano sound. The rear-panel HOST SELECT switch is set to “MIDI”.

Easy fix? Please enlighten me.

1 hour ago, bdickens said:

Yeah.  MIDI doesn't make any sound. You have to either route the audio output of the piano into your interface or trigger a soft synth with it.

Sorry, I was unclear. It's a soft synth track I'm trying to record. My other USB keyboard works fine, and I have chosen both in the input list.

• Confused 1

Sorry if this is obvious, but have you checked whether the "Out" of the keyboard goes to the "In" of the interface? I am assuming that we are talking about actual DIN midi cables. This is probably the number one reason why midi does not work in my system after changing something, no matter how I thought that I made sure that I plugged everything correctly. 

Also, have you tested the midi out from the piano with a third party program (such as midi-ox) to make sure the data is being sent out properly?

18 hours ago, Leizer said:

. . . on the other hand some keys trigger functions in Cakewalk. F.ex. metronome on/off, auto-punch toggle on/off and loop on/off. How do I get rid of the triggering keys and get the piano to actually play so I hear the sounds from the chosen track?

Assuming note data and CCs are coming from the piano, is it possible you have it set up as a control surface that prevents note data and CCs from getting to the soft synth?

Edited by User 905133

Today when I was going to dig into it, ...it just worked. It was obviously correctly connected, but for some reason believed it was a control surface. I think I did a restart of CbB, but not a reboot so that seems to have solved it (like so many other times!). 😂

Thanks for all help, also for all the "obvious" answers, because often the answer can be stupidly simple. CbB forum is the best!