Steinberg UR44-No Sound

Mark Oakley

Hi Folks:

Still working through the problems described in this thread. It seems to be the Waves Soundgrid driver more often than not causing the high latency and then dropouts when running Cakewalk. I've been in almost daily communication with Waves, and one of their suggestions was to try a different driver/interface and see if the problem persists. 

I own a Steinberg UR44 that I use as a mic interface for SMAART, so I tried installing it on my recording DAW. I went through Steinberg's list of order for the installation (their AISO drivers first, then the UR44 control panel). I have my Soundgrid AISO drivers set to Startup "Manually" ie: not when the computer powers on but only when I open the Soundgrid Studio Control panel. I've verified in  Latency Mon that they are not running in the background and have also have them disabled under Sounds in Device Manager. 

The problem is that I can see signal coming in on the Steinberg UR44 Control panel, but It's not reaching Cakewalk (see picture below). I've got my I-Pod connected and playing into the first two channels of the UR44. Everything is assigned properly in Edit/Preferences and I have 6 Tracks in Cakewalk assigned to each of the 6 driver channels. Tracks are record-enabled, but no signal. If I disconnect the USB cable from the UR44 Cakewalk will show the Audio Dropout warning in the bottom-right of the screen.  Anyone else have this problem? This interface works fine on my other PC.

PS: In my internet travels I've come across a great e-book on fine-tuning PC's for audio here.

-Mark

Steinberg UR44 ML.png

Edited by Mark Oakley

Hi Jon:

Yes I have. My computer has 2 USB-2 ports and I've tried them both. Same result: the UR44 "Tools" panel shows sound coming in, but when the drivers are assigned to Cakewalks inputs there is no audio going to the Tracks. I'm downloading Cubase today to see if I can get it to work.

-Mark

I use the UR-44 with Cakewalk, don't have any problems, I have other DAW's as well, it works perfectly with all of them. The only DAW I couldn't get it to work with was Cubase, the DAW it came with! Good luck with Cubase, I spent about 4 hours trying to get it all to work properly but failed unfortunately so I ditched Cubase.

I can't imagine what is going on in your situation, there really isn't much that can go wrong with a normal DAW (not Cubase). I cannot see anything in that small picture.

If the DSP mixer is showing that audio from the inputs is present and you can hear that audio directly from the headphones or speakers then all is ok with the DSP mixer and direct monitoring. Double check that you have the audio going into input 1 and being received in Cakewalk on the left side of the first stereo pair which will be input number 1. There should be audio there ready to record. If you are using front inputs 3 and 4 (line) that will be the second stereo pair. so you will have to assign the left side of the stereo pair for 3 and the right for 4.

Other than that I do not know what could be wrong. It must have something to do with the second ASIO driver you have on the system in some way or a faulty USB cable.

What about if you use software monitoring, clicking the monitor icon for the track in Cakewalk and turning the DSP UR44 relevant channel all the way down, can you hear anything then?

Hi Tezza:

Sorry about the small picture; I can't seem to find a way for it to show at full screen. The picture shows:

-incoming signal on the UR44 "Tools" display

-Cakewalk Tracks 1-6 record enabled

-the small pop-up box showing that Track 1 in Cakewalk is assigned to Steinberg AISO driver 1-Left, and no signal.

I was thinking that having two sets of AISO drivers on the same computer (Waves and Steinberg) was a bad idea, but the Soundgrid drivers don't start running on startup; only when I open their control panel. I checked this in Latency Mon, which shows all running background drivers.

I also thought it might be a bad USB cable, but UR44 "Tools" shows that signal is reaching the computer. I'm installing Cubase today and I'll see how that works. I'll also try Reaper. I have a brand new computer and have spent over 100 hours trying to get it stable.  Something has to work soon.

-Mark

• 3 years later...