Live Stream Using ASIO?

JonnyHeyhey

Question

Hey guys....I am probably reviving old threads as I still can't find answers to this question...

I know how to OBS live stream and live play cakewalk using Reaper's plugin.

But I am currently trying to live stream on a website where it requires me to choose a video and an audio input.

For the audio input, I choose focusrite. But focusrite only captures my microphone. I need the focusrite to also capture my cakewalk sound....

Does anyone know how to achieve this? I've downloaded voicemeeter banana but just don't know how to use it to get it working.

It's dooable with ableton live since it just uses the FLstudio ASIO which allows drivers to be shared.

Thanks..!

6 answers to this question

3 hours ago, JonnyHeyhey said:

Hey guys....I am probably reviving old threads as I still can't find answers to this question...

I know how to OBS live stream and live play cakewalk using Reaper's plugin.

But I am currently trying to live stream on a website where it requires me to choose a video and an audio input.

For the audio input, I choose focusrite. But focusrite only captures my microphone. I need the focusrite to also capture my cakewalk sound....

Does anyone know how to achieve this? I've downloaded voicemeeter banana but just don't know how to use it to get it working.

It's dooable with ableton live since it just uses the FLstudio ASIO which allows drivers to be shared.

Thanks..!

I have two sound output devices. One is a ASUS Xoner PCI card and the other is a Focusrite 2i2 2nd gen.  Both of these come with their native ASIO drivers.

I use the ORB Studio ASIO plugin.  https://github.com/Andersama/obs-asio/releases  That allows ORB Studio to record from an ASIO source.

I set Cakewalk up to use the ASUS Xoner PCI card in ASIO mode as its output.

I set up OBS Studio to use the Focusrite 2i2 as its input.

I route the output of the ASUS Xoner PCI card to the input of the Focusrite 2i2 (I use an external 12 channel mixer for the physical signal path)

Then, when I use Cakewalk, ORB Studio screen records the session while capturing Cakewalk’s audio simultaneously - both in realtime.

I do need to make sure the sample rate, the bit depth and the buffer size matches on both the ASUS card and the 2i2.

• Great Idea 1

When I make tutorials using OBS I have to switch to WASAPI SHARED driver mode so OSB will capture Cakewalks output as well as my mike. Otherwise you need an external mixer. 

I end up with 2 input faders in OBS which is great so I can balance the mix between the narration and Cakewalk playback. Only issue is I have not figured out how to monitor this.  The other bummer is you cannot demonstrate an ASIO set up in Cakewalk. So for that I use an external mixer. 

I have 4x4 interfaces but you could get by with a 2x2. 

I run interface output 3/4 into a stereo channel of the mixer.  This will be my Cakewalk playback now.. I also plug the mike into the mixer  I connect the mixers output to input 3/4 of interface.  and then set inputs 3/4 as desktop audio in OBS.  I like the mixer best as now I can also monitor the balance using either the mixer or my interface headphone jack. I can also monitor the signal level more accurately. OBS meters are sort of off the mark.  

• Great Idea 1

18 hours ago, JonnyHeyhey said:

Ah Don't worry, figured it out!

let me know if anyone needs help with setting up theirs.

Actually it’s a good idea to post your solution so your thread can then be useful to others over time. I Get many answers to my questions about just about anything from old forum posts scattered around the net. 

There are 3 ways to get cakewalk working on livestream if you want to use ASIO drivers....so here are 3 ways.

1. Ok to get cakewalk to OBS, get https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

And follow the instructions on this youtube video

2. To get cakewalk working on Livestream i.e. where you have to choose separate input for video and audio, follow step 1 and the following instructions.

Download https://vb-audio.com/Cable/
Follow the instructions on this website

The relevant instructions are pasted below, not written by me but by the poster of that website

"Step 1: In OBS in the Audio Mixer panel at the bottom, click the settings icon next to your microphone, go to Advanced Audio Properties, and turn on Monitoring for your microphone. I have it set to "Monitor and Output" because I like to use the record function of OBS to test things, if you select "Monitor Only" the mic will not work with the record or stream functions of OBS but can still be used in other applications.

Step 2: Find and download a Virtual Audio Cable program (google). I'm using the VB-Audio Virtual Audio Device. Follow the instructions to install, in the cast of VB-Audio application I downloaded, unzipped, and ran the .exe setup file.

Step 3: In OBS at the top of the screen, go to File -> Settings -> Audio (tab). Under the Advanced panel look for "Monitoring Device". Set this to the input for the virtual cable application "Cable Input (VB-Audio Virtual Cable)" in my case. If you do not see this you may need to close and reopen OBS, restart your computer, or double check your install of the Virtual Audio Cable application.

Step 4: Open the application that you want to use with OBS audio. In my case Microsoft teams. Change the microphone input device to the output of your virtual audio cable application, in my case ""Cable Output (VB-Audio Virtual Cable)". Again if this doesn't appear, try restarting the application or your PC."

3. Alternative solution to do it without OBS requires the use of https://vb-audio.com/Cable & https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm & https://www.voxengo.com/product/recorder/

It requires a bit of setup and explaining...... but if you want to learn how to do it this way then can let me know otherwise I think the first and second option is easiest way to go.

Edited by JonnyHeyhey
making it clear