If it isn't an audio or MIDI track, what is it?

jonathan boose

I wanted to print a metronome track as an audio track so I followed the Cakewalk Documentation recipe I found in a search.

I think this is the one but I'm not sure if it's the only recipe. See second picture.

Recording the metronome - Tutorials - Cakewalk Discuss | The Official Cakewalk by BandLab Forum

For clarification, I'm working on projects that require a drummer so I'm not constructing drums tracks.

I want to duplicate the printed metronome audio track so I can remove the audio from a section where it slows down before starting up without relying on the notoriously unreliable automated mute that most people seem to avoid.

So, a MIDI track has a MIDI jack icon, an audio track has a waveform icon... What has an arrow icon?

Win 10 Pro
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz, 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys
Lynx Aurora 16 ADC w/ AES16e card

metro3.jpg

metro 4.jpg

Edited by jonathan boose

Thanks, Hatstand. I've never seen that before because I use fx sends in console view.

I must have the wrong recipe because in the second picture right above where it says "in summary" the icon shows that it has been rendered as an audio track.

Apparently what I have done is create a send allowing me to use a fader in console view.

I somehow did that while following directions for rendering the metronome as an audio track because I didn't search how to create a send for the metronome track.

So is this the only link? Why did it wind up a send instead of an audio track? I don't have time to do any more research on rendering a metronome as an audio track. 

Edited by jonathan boose

Hi Jonathan, I haven't read the other thread but this is what I do.

If you start by creating a new project using the empty project template, There should already be a metronome bus created. Go to the send section of the metronome bus strip, click the + sign and choose New Aux track, This should create a new standard track. which will be automatically routed to the master.

Make sure you have the metronome set to play on record. This can be done via edit>preferences or via the control bar. Arm the aux track to record and hit record.

The metronome should then record as audio on the aux track. Once recording has finished, just mute the metronome bus

Edited by Hatstand
  • Like 1

Okay, that's the link I used. 

It works only as a send. When I go to record it as per instructions, It doesn't. 

It just eliminates the tracks usefulness as a send without rendering it as audio. So I hit undo recording so at least I can use it as a send.

I'm going to practice piano now, because I can at least get some forward motion there, while you guys see if you can figure it out.

fair enough. Enjoy playing. To make sure (as it is 05:30 in the morning here) I just followed the steps i provided and in actual fact doing it this way you don't have to enable the metronome for playback as long as it is enabled for record

The only reason I can think for it not working is if the metronome isn't enabled for record.

metronome.thumb.png.402915d87cbb213b5696fcf5c1ca171d.png

1689567263_metronome2.png.a442c84a482687f98addfdc16f89f66c.png

Edited by Hatstand