The All New Reference Coming Soon From Sonarworks

cclarry

We're excited to announce that on March 9 at 9AM (PST) we will reveal all details about our upcoming product update. For this special occasion, we have prepared a free digital event where we will introduce the new and long-awaited product features, improved user interface and will also reveal the story behind Sonarworks’ new brand identity. Moreover, you will get a chance to enjoy free masterclasses and panel discussions from leading industry experts and Grammy Award-winning producers and engineers.

Sign-up for the event

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

SoundID Reference is the new product name. Main features seem to include:

• Resizable GUI. Includes a dark skin.
  • Ability to apply correction only over a user-defined frequency range.
  • Ability to emulate a variety of playback systems - earbuds, laptops, car, phones, other studio monitors, etc.
  • Ability to specify a target frequency response - not just flat.
  • Lower latency correction filters.
  • GUI is easier to navigate. Very easy to pick any of the +280 headphone models.
  • On the music consumption side, a SoundID app is available to allow users to optimize their own listening experience. Currently only useable on Android phones and Windows/Mac desktops. It is not clear, but it may only work with streaming services, not locally stored mp3s.

Upgrade from Reference 4 Speaker & Headphone is $119.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.   Couple more details:

This will be a paid upgrade. Upgrade for Headphones is $49 / €49, for Speakers & Headphones $119 / €119. For information about other upgrade paths and prices visit sonarworks.com.

Users who have purchased Reference 4 products via online or distribution channels & first ACTIVATED their licence starting from the 1st of February, 2021 will be provided a grace period in which they will be able to upgrade their product to SoundID Reference free of charge via our web user accounts.

Buyers of Reference 4 Headphone edition will be upgraded to SoundID Reference for Headphones.

Buyers of Reference 4 Studio edition will be upgraded to SoundID Reference for Speakers and Headphones.

The free upgrade offer will terminate 2 months after the launch of SoundID Reference (9th of May, 2021).

I have regular issues with Reference 4 headphones systemwide app. Now I feel like I am being asked to pay an upgrade fee for a rebranded version of software I already own and not much else. What I really want is a stable systemwide app.

1 minute ago, teclark7 said:

I have regular issues with Reference 4 headphones systemwide app. Now I feel like I am being asked to pay an upgrade fee for a rebranded version of software I already own and not much else. What I really want is a stable systemwide app.

Ditto that. I'm not a fan of systemwide at all. I only use the plugin.

Rocky

1 hour ago, teclark7 said:

I have problems with it crashing whenever a program starts and changes the sample rate of my interface. It's pretty annoying.

1 hour ago, RSMcGuitar said:

I have problems with it crashing whenever a program starts and changes the sample rate of my interface. It's pretty annoying.

Funny, I only use systemwide Sonarworks with no problems at all. In fact, when I invoke the GUI it fixes samplerate problems for me. I've tried to get Windows to stick to 48ksps but when I close Studio One I can't then run Finale or Youtube. The cursor just spins and spins unless I reboot. However, if I first invoke Sonarworks then Finale and Youtube work just fine. No more rebooting.

Edited by fret_man

3 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Not really seeing anything that makes me want to upgrade.

I like the ability to emulate other playback systems. But I have a mono Avantone which handles much of that need. Still, the other systems would be nice, too.

Also, lower latency correction is nice. But those two items are all I would use, I think.

On my Mac, both systemwide and plug-in have always been very stable.  With that said, $119 is a bit steep.  The ability to emulate other speakers used to be available before until they suddenly removed it.  I don’t quite get the rebranding and new name.  Maybe need to watch some of the event videos to better understand.

Having used Sonarworks for years, I think what they are doing is having another crack at an end to end solution.

They tried a while back to launch a mobile app which would translate sound at the consumer end and I think the idea is to have SoundID as the branding for the studio software and the mobile app. I agree though that the translations for different environments was available before but they cut it back due to copyright issues. I assume they have now done a deal with Yamaha to use the NS10 name and so on. The big add ons with this version is the customisable eq translations and the ability to filter which parts of the sound spectrum you want to be affected by the translation which they didn't have in previous versions.

As an aside, that issue with coming out of the daw using ASIO and into Windows audio for YouTube etc. Is usually down to windows sound settings not matching and from memory you have to have the sample rate\bit depth set to the same value as ASIO for all enabled audio devices

Edited by Hatstand

Seems they have revised the prices. Good to know they listen to opinions.

How much does the upgrade cost?
Upgrade for Headphones is $39 / €39, for Speakers and Headphones $89 / €89. For those who upgraded for a higher price until today, you will get an automatic refund. For information about other upgrade paths and prices visit sonarworks.com

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hatstand said:

Upgrade for Headphones is $39 / €39, for Speakers and Headphones $89 / €89. For those who upgraded for a higher price until today, you will get an automatic refund. For information about other upgrade paths and prices visit sonarworks.com

Smart move.

27 minutes ago, Hatstand said:

At least a company that listen and adjust to complaints about upgrade price, that's refreshing

After realizing that I only have and use the headphones only version (my IK iLoud MTMs come with ARC built in) I will be upgrading ($39) to the new version just because.

Edited by Bapu
  • Great Idea 1

39 minutes ago, Bapu said:

After realizing that I only have and use the headphones only version (my IK iLoud MTMs come with ARC built in) I will be upgrading ($39) to the new version just because.

I would be interested to hear if you find this version of the systemwide app more stable. Of course, if you are currently not using systemwide or if you have no problems with it, you may not be able to make much of a comparison.