multiple sound card

opie1

Question

Has anyone ever tried to use more that 1 sound card? On the PC I can use 2 different soft synths, using 2 different audio sources, at the same time. Sonar Home Studio will only let me select 1 audio source. Is this even possible or am I barking up the wrong tree?

1 answer to this question

22 minutes ago, opie1 said:

am I barking up the wrong tree

Likely this

22 minutes ago, opie1 said:

Sonar Home Studio will only let me select 1 audio source

Possibly due to using ASIO driver mode. 

This is not a limitation imposed by the DAW. The ASIO specification calls for the host to use one I/O driver at a time. For most this means one audio interface but some manufacturers supply ASIO drivers that work with several of their interfaces at a time. IOW, it is down to the hardware and driver supplied by the manufacturer.

Other driver modes allow using multiple interfaces but unless the interfaces have the ability run off the same clock, chances are there will be timing issues when trying to use more than one interface at a time.

In short, unless the hardware manufacturers provide a way to link interfaces together, trying to run more than one interface at a time is probably a bad idea.

Need more I/O...get an interface with the appropriate number of ports or units designed to work together.

BTW, if possible, consider upgrading to Cakewalk by BandLab. It is free and a considerable step up from SHS.