Sonar 8.5: No sound from Dimension Pro

Shaade

Hello~

As the title states, I'm getting no sound from Dimension Pro in Sonar 8.5.

I've been googling and found plenty of other people with the same problem, but have not seen any solutions.

My inputs/outputs are all set up correctly, other soft synths work fine, Input Echo is on, and the volume monitor shows activity when I use my midi keyboard - yet, no sound.

Anyone know what could be wrong?

The only time I know Cakewalk sfz synths go silent is when they receive unexpected MIDI data usually from 3rd party MIDI files. Once silenced the project must be restarted to get the synth back. The fix is either clean up the data or enable "Do Not Intercept NRPNs"

3Oa2ztH.png

41 minutes ago, scook said:

The only time I know Cakewalk sfz synths go silent is when they receive unexpected MIDI data usually from 3rd party MIDI files. Once silenced the project must be restarted to get the synth back. The fix is either clean up the data or enable "Do Not Intercept NRPNs"

3Oa2ztH.png

Ok, so I do not have the same options as you've shown - but I did look and I found this little options button.

There was an option in it that I checked based on what you said about the midi data, then tried again and it is now working - so thank you :3

Below is what I did, incase it helps anyone else;

DimensionProNoSoundFix.png

You shouldn't need to set Dim Pro as Multitimbral to get sound out of it.  It should operate in omni mode by default and respond to any MIDI channel assigned to that instrument track.

When you do that are all assigned  elements playing? That setting spreads them out over MIDI channels 1-4. So only element 1 would be responding to MIDI channel 1, etc.

My guess is messing with the DP engine the way the OP reset it. I was not going to follow up with the OP. I can understand running 8.5 but ignoring the free updates to DP and just now having issues with a 9 year old synth seems odd.

7 hours ago, scook said:

My guess is messing with the DP engine the way the OP reset it. I was not going to follow up with the OP. I can understand running 8.5 but ignoring the free updates to DP and just now having issues with a 9 year old synth seems odd.

What free updates? I'm not "ignoring" anything.

I have also not been using it for 9 years, this is the first time. All I've really needed in the past is Session Drummer 3, Cakewalk TTS-1 and occasionally DropZone.

I think you are right about it resetting something though, because it's working even when I uncheck that option now too.

8 hours ago, abacab said:

You shouldn't need to set Dim Pro as Multitimbral to get sound out of it.  It should operate in omni mode by default and respond to any MIDI channel assigned to that instrument track.

When you do that are all assigned  elements playing? That setting spreads them out over MIDI channels 1-4. So only element 1 would be responding to MIDI channel 1, etc.

Checking it must have reset something, as I can hear it with it unchecked now too.

10 hours ago, Shaade said:

What free updates? I'm not "ignoring" anything.

I have also not been using it for 9 years, this is the first time. All I've really needed in the past is Session Drummer 3, Cakewalk TTS-1 and occasionally DropZone.

From your pic it appears that you are still running the old Dim Pro  DXi 1.2, or earlier. The Dim Pro v1.5 (final release) is VST2 only and has a different plugin window header, like the one shown in scook's example.

Dimension Pro 1.5 Update

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shaade said:

And it can do everything my 8.5 Producer can?

Yes, and much more.

Just don't uninstall 8.5 - CbB doesn't come with DP Pro or any of the free 3rd party plugins/instruments, but it will pickup all the stuff you got with 8.5.

• Like 1

I think for me, the biggest improvements of 8.5 are the Pro Channel, the ability to swipe the mouse with the left button down to mute/solo etc several tracks at once, and of course ripple edit.

The whole skylight interface might take a bit of getting used to, but the vast majority of the keyboard shortcuts are the same.

The only thing that might be a bit of a learning curve is the change to track layers / take lanes. They behave slightly differently, but with the right settings you can get close to 8.5 behaviour.

• Like 1