Native Instruments Session Guitarist Electric Vintage

cclarry

3 hours ago, simon said:

I'm at nearly 50 years playing and I agree - love the session guitarists series.  

tempted by this but might wait for a voucher or sale.....not quite cheap enough for an impulse buy.

Good point.  I'm going to upgrade to 13 when the spring/summer sale hits.  I think a voucher comes with that.  

It's possible--but not certain--that this will be on sale on Black Friday.  I waited for BF to get Picked Acoustic--but it wasn't included. I don't know how old a release has to be before NI includes it in their sales, and policies can chang. 

I too have played the guitar for decades. But in my maturity I realize there is some social and cultural value in others not having to constantly hear me say, “I can’t hear the guitar”.😁

Edited by LAGinz
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I should also point out that you can play a bass part on a bass or on your guitar or any instrument, put it in EZBass and you'll have a bass part, which you can further edit.  

I do this with MIDIGuitar into Ample Sound guitars. It captures the (mis-)timing and amplitude changes but I still need to edit the various right hand and left hand techniques (slides, hammer-ons, etc). This is mainly due to a lack of good tracking space for recording a real guitar (AC vent noise, outdoor drive-by trucks, etc), but it also allows me to deal with all the sympathetic string vibrations that bloom and smear up the audio. My playing is not clean enough to keep that from happening. I had no idea I was that sloppy until I heard the recording of myself.

29 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

One still has to have some knowledge of an instrument to make it sound authentic.

Or experiment with piano roll data and controllers to make it sound interesting.  Anyway, that's not the point. This instrument is so exceptionally good and easy to use that anyone with basic computer skills can dial in an impressive guitar performance. The same is true for other great software instruments that make session musicians a thing of the past.

56 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

The same is true for other great software instruments that make session musicians a thing of the past.

A year or two ago I saw this guy on youtube reviewing a chord progression pack for Cthulthu or Scaler (don't remember) and saying something along: for the same price I would prefer these chords packs over music lessons. He was a kind of an influencer, this all made me sad.

5 hours ago, chris.r said:

A year or two ago I saw this guy on youtube reviewing a chord progression pack for Cthulthu or Scaler (don't remember) and saying something along: for the same price I would prefer these chords packs over music lessons. He was a kind of an influencer, this all made me sad.

I've been a part time teacher before.

Honestly you can get way more out of Scaler for $50 than you could from a single music lesson as long as you are not a total beginner.  Way more, not even close.

I certainly appreicate the disappointment with the statement but there is the reality of it.  

• Sad 1

On 2/25/2021 at 9:38 PM, antler said:

to recreate a convincing lead/solo

I have never heard a convincing guitar solo made with a VSTi ! It almost always sounds sterile and lifeless.

On the other hand I use VSTi's for rhythm guitar at times, because I am too lazy to practice until the part is perfect! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/26/2021 at 11:31 PM, Brian Walton said:

Honestly you can get way more out of Scaler for $50 than you could from a single music lesson...

I get it that the software may be worth spending money, the math is on your side ;) I'm only trying to say that I don't think it's a good idea when the kids are being told that they should invest in the software instead of playing skills.

Eventually some of them could become the new Hendrix or Zawinul in the future. And most of all, they'll miss that joy and fun you get when playing a real instrument and end up only clicking a mouse, that won't take them much further. 

1 hour ago, chris.r said:

I get it that the software may be worth spending money, the math is on your side ;) I'm only trying to say that I don't think it's a good idea when the kids are being told that they should invest in the software instead of playing skills.

Eventually some of them could become the new Hendrix or Zawinul in the future. And most of all, they'll miss that joy and fun you get when playing a real instrument and end up only clicking a mouse, that won't take them much further. 

Trust me I get it.

My counter point is that $50 in lessons isn't going to give you much progress.  

These days it is an investment in both.  If you know the basics $50 in scaler and individual time spent will give you theory knowledge thousands of dollars in music lessons.  If you don't know how to use an instrument or construct/play some basic chords - scaler would indeed be a totally different tool for that person.

Edited by Brian Walton

2 hours ago, marled said:

I have never heard a convincing guitar solo made with a VSTi ! It almost always sounds sterile and lifeless.

I think this sounds pretty darn good.

Honestly, I'd be  hard pressed to tell it's a VST instrument. In a blind test, that is.

59 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

These days it is an investment in both.

Couldn't agree more. But I'm not one of these youtube influencers, these guys should be more responsible for what they're saying.

As to our $50, spending once on a software surely will give you overhead over any lesson, but in the long run it's the playing skills where you win. Artificial music will always be, well, artificial 🤪.  Scaler in the hands of a skilled musician, that's another story :D I see on that we both agree.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

I think this sounds pretty darn good.

Honestly, I'd be  hard pressed to tell it's a VST instrument. In a blind test, that is.

I agree that it sounds near a real solo, but still I am not convinced. A real solo guitar player varies much more with the timing, i.e. the appearance of the transients is definitely more driven by the feeling of the player. The sound reminds me somehow of Gary Moore. So just listen to one of his songs and you may hear the difference!

2 hours ago, chris.r said:

I think I had a better example but could not find it right when it's needed :), so there's just that (maybe except a few notes here and there)

It sounds near a real guitar solo, but as I said above it clearly misses some of the feelings and variations a real player brings in! This is also a problem e.g. of Melodyne and other programs that try to quantize and improve pitch of more complicate instrument/vocal parts. They try to make some usual decisions that are not 100 percent standard when playing with feeling!

3 minutes ago, marled said:

It sounds near a real guitar solo, but as I said above it clearly misses some of the feelings and variations a real player brings in!

It would require more editing afterwards for bringing out more articulation nuances that are impossible to play live, I believe it's doable.