Native Instruments Session Guitarist Electric Vintage

cclarry

UNMISTAKABLE VINTAGE TWANG

ELECTRIC VINTAGE captures the ubiquitous sound of the world’s most versatile solid body electric. It combines the powerful SESSION GUITARIST engine with an expansive library of riffs, strummed and picked patterns, mutes, tremolos, glissandi, and more, captured from an original 50s USA model.

$99

DISCOVER ELECTRIC

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Soundwise said:

Maybe I'm amazed or maybe it's very sad, that people don't need to master real instruments any longer as they can simply draw and readjust rectangles in the dadgum piano roll.

I’m a good drummer, ok bass player and mediocre keyboard player but terrible guitar player and I love the session guitarist series. I can’t see anything negative  about having tools like this available for people like me.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Joakim said:

I’m a good drummer, ok bass player and mediocre keyboard player but terrible guitar player and I love the session guitarist series. I can’t see anything negative  about having tools like this available for people like me.

I love Superior Drummer 3, and my (former) drummer - amazingly talented musician - hates it. Well, he still thinks it's an awesome software product, but he started getting so few studio recording calls that he had to quit playing drums for living and work in the office instead. Nothing negative, just a life story.

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, Soundwise said:

Maybe I'm amazed or maybe it's very sad, that people don't need to master real instruments any longer as they can simply draw and readjust rectangles in the dadgum piano roll.

Maybe, but you'd still need to understand how the instrument works and is played in order to recreate a convincing lead/solo. Also, sometimes it's just easier to record a live part if you've mastered an instrument, rather than drag in notes and tweak velocities/lots of CC parameters all day long.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soundwise said:

I love Superior Drummer 3, and my (former) drummer - amazingly talented musician - hates it. Well, he still thinks it's an awesome software product, but he started getting so few studio recording calls that he had to quit playing drums for living and work in the office instead. Nothing negative, just a life story.

there is nothing like a great live drummer.

• Like 4

I have been playing guitar for 50 years, but I love the Session Guitarists and a lot of guitar VIs.   While I can still play, I can't play as well as I used to, and I never was that great about playing in steady rhythm. 

The last time they did one of these there was a $49 upgrade.  But I guess this is a new product and you get no special points for owning all the other Session Guitarists. 

This seems to me to be the most sophisticated one in the series to date.  I would expect that there will be upgrades in the others to catch up to these new features.

The combination of this and Electric Sunburst with EZBass and the is unbelievable.  I can't wait to experiment.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about your drummer friend having to move to an office job to earn a living.
TBH though automation will likely leave many jobless.

On the one hand these tools greatly simplify making cookie cutter music (that's likely to also end up with a lawsuit).
On the other, if you want to make something unique, you can't always replace a real player with a tool like this.

27 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I have been playing guitar for 50 years, but I love the Session Guitarists and a lot of guitar VIs.   While I can still play, I can't play as well as I used to, and I never was that great about playing in steady rhythm. 

The last time they did one of these there was a $49 upgrade.  But I guess this is a new product and you get no special points for owning all the other Session Guitarists. 

This seems to me to be the most sophisticated one in the series to date.  I would expect that there will be upgrades in the others to catch up to these new features.

The combination of this and Electric Sunburst with EZBass and the is unbelievable.  I can't wait to experiment.

I agree, however, $99.00 is not a deal if this is the regular price.. , however, I screamed when I heard that Chaise Lounge Funk Demo... Oh My Goodness!!!

36 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I hope to get Komplete CE and TT Bass ASAP because, let's face it, the world has changed and the way we make and distribute our music has changed, too. Great tools for any aspiring hobbyist, no doubt about that! It's just sad to see so many people being replaced by virtual tools. I don't like the trend but can't fight it.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, Soundwise said:

Soundwise.

it's not always about not knowing how to play the instrument, it also about having access to a multitude of instruments one would not normally be able to afford and also have their distinct sound that instrument creates.   My physical bass collection is a single Schecter  DLX4 bass, but by using MODO bass, I have a vast array of basses and their sounds.  Also, I own one Korg TR 61 Workstation, however, I posses Yahmaha's, Moog, Roland, Kawai by purchasing soft synths. 

Real instruments are always needed, but it's the various sound we can get from the synths, is which we seek

I quite often use virtual instruments for writing, then re-record with real instruments; the exception being drums, as I've only got an electronic kit, and perhaps acoustic "strummed" guitars, cos... well, they sound a whole lot better than my £300 acoustic does!

But the beauty of instruments like NI Session Guitarist/UJAM Virtual Guitarist is that they provide some interesting riffs I wouldn't normally come up with. That's not to say I always keep the riffs as they are, but they're a great starting place for getting the creative juices going. In some cases though, they're bang on the money and I'm happy to use them as is.

• Like 3

While I greatly prefer Orange Tree Samples Evolution guitars approach because they permit you to play any ideas in your head instead of being limited to pre-recorded loops, regarding the criticism of virtual Instruments, I see enormous value in them. I spent two decades playing drums semi-professionally (mostly playing clubs, colleges, fests and sometimes touring on the weekends), so I am very aware of how little drummers are being used in recording studios these days. The joy and benefits of virtual Instruments to songwriters and hobbyists is especially invaluable. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

While I greatly prefer Orange Tree Samples Evolution guitars approach because they permit you to play any ideas in your head instead of being limited to pre-recorded loops

Exactly, being able to define what strings and what articulation is played for every beat is very useful. The NI guitars sound good but they are more limited, particularly if you venture into odd time signatures. 

• Like 1

It sounds great, no denying....but I find it sad that fewer and fewer people are playing real instruments. Just sitting down with an acoustic and twiddling around is so therapeutic, just as putting pen to paper beats typing on a keyboard every time, plugging in an electric and pretending to be Hendrix....how you gonna pose in front of the mirror in your spandex with this VST?

I guess this is why I gravitate towards 'left-field' music that could not be reproduced on a VST.  I'd love to hear someone try and pull off Thurston Moore or  the Pixies Debaser on this thing :D

The same with virtual drums or Piano - they sound great for certain genres, but try and do Elliot Smith...nah! 

Nothing beats a real instrument sound :)

Edited by 53mph
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I have been playing guitar for 50 years, but I love the Session Guitarists and a lot of guitar VIs.

I'm at nearly 50 years playing and I agree - love the session guitarists series.  

tempted by this but might wait for a voucher or sale.....not quite cheap enough for an impulse buy.