CA-2A by Cakewalk

EnglandBross

On 3/5/2021 at 12:35 PM, bitflipper said:

it might be a bitbridged 32-bit plugin

Just curious - what makes you suspect that? The download is an installer, and when I ran it, it gave me five choices of what to install:

• AAX
  • 64-bit VST
  • 64-bit VST
  • 32-bit VST
  • 32-bit VST

Yes, you read that right. There are two 64-bit VST options and two 32-bit VST options. I chose the 64-bit option and on the next screen the mystery was solved: One of the 64-bit choices went into the default VST2 folder and the other one went into the default VST3 folder. I assumed this was accurate nomenclature. Wouldn't it be some kind of developer malpractice not to disclose the bitbridged thing, especially if you are also offering a 32-bit option?

On 3/23/2021 at 3:32 PM, Larry Jones said:

Wouldn't it be some kind of developer malpractice not to disclose the bitbridged thing, especially if you are also offering a 32-bit option?

Not when the software comes from pre-BandLab and was fashioned to function the same as all of Cakewalks installers from the 2013-2017 era.  My SONAR offers both 32 & 64 bit, as does all of the installers that are downloaded through the Command Center.  Not many remember that Windows 8 offered either bit version also, it was trendy i suppose.  I refer to that time period as the "Great PC Resolution Evolutionary Transitional Revolution".   But thats just me, its bygone days now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I've gotta go back and read the thread through... Not that it matters to me personally, but I like to know things...

I have had the CA2 since it was originally released and use it a lot... It is excellent ac is the PC75

I recently acquired the UAD 1176 collection and the Free UAD La2a Tube Compressor which are excellent as well. Just as with hardware I've owned, they're all similar, but different, so knowing/choosing your gear is a matter of taste.

I have others as well, but these two sets are my go to most of the time for these devices.

The CA2 has been invaluable to me so I hope more people get to appreciate it!

58 minutes ago, fitzj said:

Universal Audio are offering the CA2 for free until the end of October. Doesn't require the Audio PCIe card to work.

Yup. Got it. They are "comparable". I like different qualities of each but they are very similar.

Note that the UAD free release (called La2a Tube Compressor) is the same algorithm as the la2a Silver from the UAD La2a Collection, but sounds different than the silver anyway.

I’m still very satisfied with the Ca2a most of the time, but glad to have the choices!

One difference is that the Cakewalk PC2A (in Pro Channel) includes the R37 control to add gain reduction above 1kHz:

image.png.ddd25943239c119051b51c12cdc2e5dd.png

The Universal Audio LA2A plug-in appears to have the R37 control, but it is actually just part of the GUI image, not a settable control:

image.png.cf566f4b9aa5d55813e33b38f745393c.png

I haven't tested the LA2A yet to find out how their compression responds to higher frequencies.

45 minutes ago, Tim Elmore said:

One difference is that the Cakewalk PC2A (in Pro Channel) includes the R37 control to add gain reduction above 1kHz:

image.png.ddd25943239c119051b51c12cdc2e5dd.png

The Universal Audio LA2A plug-in appears to have the R37 control, but it is actually just part of the GUI image, not a settable control:

image.png.cf566f4b9aa5d55813e33b38f745393c.png

I haven't tested the LA2A yet to find out how their compression responds to higher frequencies.

Interesting...

That's strange. Why put it there if it's not gonna work? Maybe a bug?

2 minutes ago, Jacques Boileau said:

I read that UAD does not allow tweaking R37 on this LA2A, but that they have it fixed at a useful setting. Whatever that is.

Then why leave it in the UI? Bad decision in my opinion...

I guess this is a reason some might op to upgrade to the full la2a collection. It's cheap enough if this is important to you?