CA-2A by Cakewalk

EnglandBross

On 3/1/2021 at 12:41 AM, Starship Krupa said:

One issue with the Cakewalk plug-ins is that they would need their licensing code stripped before inclusion with CbB.

It seems that CbB does report "yes" when a plugin asks "is the host SONAR?".

That means any plugins that had previously been exclusive to SONAR should work in CbB without alteration. At least, that's been my experience. For example, SONAR-exclusive plugins such as the TS-64 Transient Shaper won't work in other DAWs but it recognizes CbB as family. I'm guessing you could even uninstall SONAR and as long as you left all the plugins in place they'd still work in CbB.

None of this applies to CA-2A, though, as it was sold as a standalone product not locked to SONAR. I don't remember what kind of licensing scheme it used, though. If it required online registration, an emailed serial number, or challenge/response authorization, then the software for handling that would have to be reinstated. That shouldn't be a showstopper, though. I'm sure they could make a deal with one of the online stores to oversee distribution and payment processing, the same way many mom 'n pop vendors do.

(btw, +1 to your ADHD suggestion. It's not bad for a freebie, although it might be a bitbridged 32-bit plugin - I don't actually know.)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bitflipper said:

I don't remember what kind of licensing scheme it used, though. If it required online registration, an emailed serial number, or challenge/response authorization, then the software for handling that would have to be reinstated.

I'm one of those people who was using another DAW but went for the CA-2A freebie offer, so I can say. That act later came in very handy, as when BandLab took over and froze new registrations, I already had a Cakewalk ID. I was able to use it to download and install SONAR Home Studio, which came with some nifty add-ons that work great with CbB. Rapture Session was one of them. I could also post to the old forum while we were waiting for this one to come online. I think I was the only person active on there who didn't have a current license for SONAR in some form or other. Snagging CA-2A really worked out in a lot of other ways!

CA-2A is registered via Command Center like SONAR and the other Cakewalk FX and VSTi's that required licenses to purchase if you didn't have SPlat. I did the offline license thing in case the old Cakewalk licensing server ever goes down. Good reminder, I need to check and make sure I still have my code around somewhere.

• Great Idea 1

@Starship Krupa   Hey did you get that Home studio for free. I remember I started this thread. 

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Free-copy-of-Home-Studio-m3718860.aspx

If you follow the link on my post the web page is still there!  

https://thesoftware.shop/cakewalk-sonar-home-studio-giveaway/#buy-now

Everything seems to still work so I followed through using a dummy email- but here is the dead end for people who never had a Sonar Account. 

http://www.cakewalk.com/Redeem?kl=16&promo=CM250

There will be no response. But I do believe IF you have a  a sign on there's a chance you might get lucky and there will be a backdoor to CA 2A and Rapture. 

I got this far using my sign in 

1277474591_Screenshot(28).png.c103638ded9ff36cc53af5bfcae588b8.png

Yes, I scored Home Studio and Rapture, and I think it may have been thanks to your topic. I also pulled the trick of downloading a demo of SONAR and thereby scoring the Rapture Pro Factory Library (and most importantly at the time, a copy of the PDF manual. There are also some "free to registered users" loop and sample libraries, and I got the extra DX effects before they started including them in CbB.

I really rifled things once I realized there were still goodies to be had. I don't think you can get CA-2A, during the promo period you'd get your serial via email from signing up (I think that's how it worked, either that or they would put it in your account). But it's like the LP EQ's, if you don't have a serial, it's no go.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 12:35 PM, bitflipper said:

your ADHD suggestion. It's not bad for a freebie, although it might be a bitbridged 32-bit plugin

It shows up as 64-bit, I wouldn't have recommended it otherwise. I'm really diligent about sticking to 64-bit. Do you think that the developer is using some kind of wrapper to make a 32-bit plug-in look like it's 64-bit?

As I recall, at one point it didn't like being hit with the 64-bit precision engine AND upsampling, maybe that's why. I think they've issued an update since then.

Gibson still owns CA-2A. They did not give up their rights to the product when they shut down Cakewalk. They could start selling the product again, if they wanted to do so. There is no legitimate way to acquire new licenses or share licenses for CA-2A, SONAR or any products made by Cakewalk. unless Gibson allows it.

BandLab purchased the source code for Cakewalk products from Gibson and could use it to create their version of CA-2A just like they did with SONAR.

• Thanks 2

it is odd the conversation has gone on so long.

While the CA-2A is a decent plug-in, the only thing unique about it is the PC format.

For those who did not get a copy, the best course of action today is look to another manufacturer for a similar product.

2 hours ago, scook said:

While the CA-2A is a decent plug-in, the only thing unique about it is the PC format.

There was a big shootout of LA-2A compressors, plugins, including UAD, and hardware. CA-2A was of of the best. Not sure if the site with this test is still online.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, scook said:

it is odd the conversation has gone on so long.

For those who did not get a copy, the best course of action today is look to another manufacturer for a similar product.

This.

PC is really the only thing that sets it apart.  (which I do agree is rather significant given the lack of PC options)

Many good "normal" vst versions on the market.