CA-2A by Cakewalk

EnglandBross

6 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

CA-2A was a separate add-on you could purchase. It wasn't included by default with SONAR. That's extremely unlikely.

I'd recommend something like Sonic Anomally's SLAX, Analog Obsession's LALA or something similar if you want that LA-2A characteristic.

this plugin was developed  for free in the last days of Sonar life.
it wold be a nice thing to make it operative

If you had it in your old Cakewalk.com account, you still have access to it.

That, and many other former Gibson/Cakewalk Sonar plugins have never been made available by BandLab since Cakewalk by BandLab was released. Meng, the CEO of BandLab, has committed to keeping the Cakewalk DAW free, but never implied that the former plugins would be released for free, or at all.

We can always hope, but I wouldn't hold your breath. I would love to get my hands on Rapture Pro, which I only had a demo of when Gibson shut down Cakewalk.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 9:13 AM, e2studio said:

this plugin was developed  for free in the last days of Sonar life.
it wold be a nice thing to make it operative

Nope, it was actually a paid pluign starting in 2013.  They only offered it as a free gift for a short time at the end of 2016, many people already had it.

It still works for those of us that have it.

• Like 1

This has been a mystery to me since BandLab took over Cakewalk. You'd think they'd be looking for ways to make money off their now-free product.

As a standalone VST, it's not tied specifically to Cakewalk. It also happens to be one of the best LA-2A emulations around. I really expected to see several Cakewalk products offered for sale, such the Adaptive Limiter, which is also very good.

At first I wondered if it's because CA-2A had been licensed from a third party, but that seems unlikely. The DLL properties say "Copyright 2016 Cakewalk Inc.". When BandLab bought Cakewalk's assets, my understanding is that included all of Cakewalk's intellectual property.

That in itself does not definitely prove Cakewalk owned it outright, though. It could still rely on some licensed library. But looking at the DLL's dependencies, I see nothing listed beyond standard Windows files and the C++ runtime. No obvious third-party components. Even if it had been developed by a contracted third party like, say, Rapture, I'd think that any ongoing revenue sharing agreement could be revived. But I have asked Noel about it in the past, and all he'd say is that it was developed in-house.

So it remains a mystery as to why this great and potentially lucrative plugin hasn't been made available for sale again. But I'm guessing it is not a technical issue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very sad for all...

Well, almost all. Many of us do have this excellent model.

I have most, but I’ve wished I bought Rapture Pro when I could. I do have Rapture and Dimension Pro as well as Rapture Pro Lite as they work so well together as a single entity I miss not having full control.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

So it remains a mystery as to why this great and potentially lucrative plugin hasn't been made available for sale again. But I'm guessing it is not a technical issue.

Maybe selling plugins, and then supporting them, doesn't fit with the current BandLab business model. Which I have the impression is for first getting the Cakewalk DAW as stable and bug-free as possible under the BandLab brand.

Further spreading out the limited technical resources (Noel & his team) would take away from that primary mission. It's obvious that BandLab doesn't need the money, since they are giving the DAW away for free.

• Great Idea 1

45 minutes ago, abacab said:

Maybe selling plugins, and then supporting them, doesn't fit with the current BandLab business model. Which I have the impression is for first getting the Cakewalk DAW as stable and bug-free as possible under the BandLab brand.

Further spreading out the limited technical resources (Noel & his team) would take away from that primary mission. It's obvious that BandLab doesn't need the money, since they are giving the DAW away for free.

Good observation.

It's not always about us!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, abacab said:

CA-2A is a pretty complete product.  And since we aren't on Mac, maintaining it isn't going to be a drain on resources.

Granted, you may need someone to set up shop, but that's not the same skillset.  Perhaps they can outsource that to one of Meng's other brands.

6 hours ago, Keni said:

Ive wished I bought Rapture Pro when I could. I do have Rapture and Dimension Pro as well as Rapture Pro Lite as they work so well together as a single entity I miss not having full control.

Rapture Pro is very cool from the perspective of having all of the Rapture and Dimension Pro sounds integrated.

As an editor, though, not so much.  I have long said that I use Rapture for patch creation and import to RP.

Before the bankruptcy, I set up whichever version they were giving away with CM on my kids machines.  I even copied my Magic Russ 30 for 30 patch library over, and it worked fine in RP Lite.  My kids never used it but thought it was cool that I had my own patch set.

37 minutes ago, Magic Russ said:

Rapture Pro is very cool from the perspective of having all of the Rapture and Dimension Pro sounds integrated.

As an editor, though, not so much.  I have long said that I use Rapture for patch creation and import to RP.

Before the bankruptcy, I set up whichever version they were giving away with CM on my kids machines.  I even copied my Magic Russ 30 for 30 patch library over, and it worked fine in RP Lite.  My kids never used it but thought it was cool that I had my own patch set.

I typically know which type of sound I’m looking for and often use sampled instruments very differently than I do synth sounds so one or the other is what’s needed but I often thought about the merger abilities.

19 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

CA-2A is a pretty complete product.  And since we aren't on Mac, maintaining it isn't going to be a drain on resources.

Granted, you may need someone to set up shop, but that's not the same skillset.  Perhaps they can outsource that to one of Meng's other brands.

I've already got the plugin. 😉

But as you mentioned, it isn't a technical issue. If that was something they were willing to do, they would probably have done so a couple of years ago.

Edited by abacab

On 2/26/2021 at 1:52 PM, bitflipper said:

This has been a mystery to me since BandLab took over Cakewalk. You'd think they'd be looking for ways to make money off their now-free product.

As a standalone VST, it's not tied specifically to Cakewalk. It also happens to be one of the best LA-2A emulations around. I really expected to see several Cakewalk products offered for sale, such the Adaptive Limiter, which is also very good.

At first I wondered if it's because CA-2A had been licensed from a third party, but that seems unlikely. The DLL properties say "Copyright 2016 Cakewalk Inc.". When BandLab bought Cakewalk's assets, my understanding is that included all of Cakewalk's intellectual property.

That in itself does not definitely prove Cakewalk owned it outright, though. It could still rely on some licensed library. But looking at the DLL's dependencies, I see nothing listed beyond standard Windows files and the C++ runtime. No obvious third-party components. Even if it had been developed by a contracted third party like, say, Rapture, I'd think that any ongoing revenue sharing agreement could be revived. But I have asked Noel about it in the past, and all he'd say is that it was developed in-house.

The same holds for all the other stuff that was made and it's copyrighted by Cakewalk themselves. Sure, you can understand that in cases, like the Blue Tubes stuff or the AAS stuff but...Unless other company developed those plugins for Cakewalk, why are they still kept behind that gate?