Izotope Music Production Suite Pro

cclarry

They're trying to reach a broader range of users because professional studio's are all but gone. And the ones that are left don't care how much it costs because in reality it doesn't cost them anything. It gets passed on to their customers.

I don't like it but it does save me money. I just signed up for Presonus Sphere. They present it a lot better than it actually is now that I have it and have looked at everything that is available. The only real plus to it is you get some cloud storage and Studio One Pro (current version) and Notion with all the add-on sample packs for Notion for less than the cost of upgrading just Studio One every cycle. The other stuff is nice to have access to, but to be honest, there was nothing there that interested me once I got in and saw what was available and most of the VST's they offer already come with Studio One so they aren't really offering anything special in that regard.

My whole problem with this is, you are locked out of your own work if you don't keep up with the subscriptions. That's not right. Mibby is right, it should be rent to own. You should never be put in to a situation to where you are locked out of your own work if you don't pay a ransom. And true, you can just simply buy a permanent license for the software now, but we all know how the slippery slope works. That could very well go away soon.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

My whole problem with this is, you are locked out of your own work if you don't keep up with the subscriptions. That's not right.

Exactly this.   When you add it up, it's almost cheaper to buy, then upgrade every couple of years...

1 hour ago, Shane_B. said:

My whole problem with this is, you are locked out of your own work if you don't keep up with the subscriptions. That's not right. Mibby is right, it should be rent to own. You should never be put in to a situation to where you are locked out of your own work if you don't pay a ransom.

Right on!

That's the reason I refuse to subscribe to Adobe's Creative Cloud. They don't even allow you to buy a licensed copy any more. No ownership allowed!

I'm not a pro, just a home hobbyist that doesn't make any money with music or art. I just want to buy my tools and not subscribe to nothing!

• Like 1
  • Meh 1

2 hours ago, mibby said:

Rent-to-own needs to be the new standard for subscriptions...

Izotope is notorious for releasing major versions every year. Eventually this rent-to-own model becomes a subscription model.

FWIW, had I been a fan of iZotope plugins, running a professional studio, I wouldn't mind paying a monthly fee to keep my business and theirs afloat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soundwise said:

had I been a fan of iZotope plugins, running a professional studio, I wouldn't mind paying a monthly fee to keep my business and theirs afloat.

I suppose it's a matter of perspective.  As a hobbyist NOT generating income or making a living at it, I want to buy my plugins and move on.  That's why "free for life updates" like Melda and some others do has a lot of appeal.  In fact, I guess the "rent-to-own" model only works with those companies who are not trying to continually generate income from you once you've made your initial purchase...  🤔

• Like 1

I think it needs to be said that izotope DO make great products. 

That out the way. They also have a highly addiction inducing marketing cycle. Each year a new BETTER version. They hook you in with the elements, tempt you with GREAT upgrade deals.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that there is an inbuilt product degradation in the AI. The first months of use it seems to produce miracles, after which the AI appears no better than Bandlab Mastering (or is that just me?).

Going subscription just seems like an extension of their marketing practise. For good and for bad.

• Like 1

At first it was cancel cable and get Netflix. Now it's cancel cable and there's Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max.... on and on and on.

I'm done with subscriptions for software. It makes no sense. Eventually if you want to use more than one company you'll have to have a bunch of subscriptions, which will be very expensive. If I had a subscription to all the software I own, it would be like $1000 a month. Not happening.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cclarry said:

Apparently there are "Pro" versions of the plugins that are going to be released
for this Sub package...

So now there are Standard, Advanced, Plus (for Nectar), and Pro versions of their plugins? Sounds like too many versions to me, especially as they don't even make clear what the differences are for Nectar Plus.

On average in the last 6 years iZotope has changed and continues to change the face of mixing and mastering. They’ve made it more accessible and provide class leading products. I personally have spent on average between 3-400 a year with them. If they offer me all I use going forward for just under 300 for all my usual products, I’m in :).

22 minutes ago, antler said:

So now there are Standard, Advanced, Plus (for Nectar), and Pro versions of their plugins? Sounds like too many versions to me, especially as they don't even make clear what the differences are for Nectar Plus.

My thoughts exactly 

• Like 1

I was just looking through my account and the current prices for the plugins.  Nectar3 Plus is my only "new" plugin.  I've been waiting for the Tonal Balance no-brainer deal to upgrade Neutron and pick up the others. Now I'm wondering if this marks the end of any real sales? They are going to want to incentivize their customer base to subscribe.   That would be sad because I really like my Izotope plugins...   🙄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, antler said:

Actually I forgot: there's Elements too; up to five different versions of plugins.

2 hours ago, antler said:

If you read the following page

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/music-production-suite-pro.html#add-ons

it seems to suggest that there will be only 3 'Pro' plugins coming soon,

Neoverb Pro (Coming Soon)

Tonal Balance Control Pro (Coming Soon)

Insight Pro (Coming Soon)

none of the others Ozone, Neutron, Nectar etc have 'Coming Soon' in their title nor the funky 'Coming Soon' in the Pic, which may lead you to think that Ozone etc are just what Ozone Advanced etc are today, just with a name change? 😲

In case I come off sounding a bit negative, I should probably say this just to be clear. I have no problem with companies wanting to be paid; I have no problem with companies diversifying their payment methods: perpetual licences, subscriptions, rent-to-own - they all have their own advantages/disadvantages. Personally I prefer perpetual licences over the others (and hope they don't remove this option in future, like certain design-software companies decided to go with), but I can see how they can be beneficial in certain circumstances.

• Like 1