Painting Patterns Midi Piano View

kjboies

Please,

I have searched for the reason, but have not yet found why, or how: sometimes, when I Paint Patterns they will paint continuously, for as long as I drag the mouse to the upper right of the piano view window; still, other times, they will only paint the amount of measures that are high lighted: if I have one measure highlighted/selected, the pattern painter will paint one measure and then stop, and then I can paint another measure and then it stops painting. The same thing is true, if I have 8 or 16 measures selected -- it will paint 8 or 16 measures and then stop, the number of selected measures is irrelevant, it only paints the amount of measures that I have selected.  Yet, as I said in the first sentence, sometimes, I can have 1 or 2 or 4 or 10 measures selected, but it will keep painting, until I quit dragging the mouse to the right.  I have watch closely to see what I am doing, but so far I haven't noticed anything that I am doing, different, to make the pattern painter sometimes paint continuously and other to only paint the amount of measures selected....

Thanks,

It will be interesting to find out what is and what isn't....

Edited by kjboies

I have noticed that if you have a number of clips in one track that haven't been bounced into 1 clip, it affects how the painter 'paints' the pattern, particularly with drum notes.

Edited by Detwoen
  • Like 1

Well, I checked out the paint pattern feature and I am glad to now know that it is there in CbB.  Somehow I missed learning about the pattern painting feature when it was added to  Sonar Platinum.   Sonar 8.5 had a Paint pattern Paintbrush Icon in the PRV view and a drop down menu for selecting from a range of drum patters such as conga, snare drum patterns etc.  That feature the best I can tell was missing from X1-X3 and I assumed it was gone for good and I missed noticing it when it was added  to the Draw  Tool button (select pattern) in Sonar Platinum.   It's actually better than the Sonar 8.5 PRV paintbrush that was limited to drum patterns  in the drop down menu.  I  learn something new on this forum every day!  

Many thanks to the OP and Detwoen for posting a response to me. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 11:30 AM, mfanning said:

I loved the paint tool feature but I thought at some point Cakewalk discontinued it.  What version of Cakewalk/Sonar are you using?  I believe it was discontinued in the Sonar X series.  It's a great tool!

If you're in midi drums of some sort go to the note insert tool, click and hold the pen down until a drop list shows, the paint tool is there....