The Harrison MPC $1500 Plugin - Worth It?

cclarry

You know how little a plugin is worth when whoever is presenting it has to spend a third of the video talking good things about the plugin.

Just take those 1500 bucks you were going to use to buy it, and get something like FabFilter's Total Bundle, which is 500 bucks cheaper and gives you an extremely versatile plugin collection that can do almost anything.

• Like 4

Hell yeah it's worth it! If I owned or worked in a professional studio and it had the sound and workflow I needed for the job and to make a living it would be.

But me being a hobbyist sitting here in my spare bedroom office/music room they would have to come down off that price by about 95% to even consider it.

I wonder if you own a pro studio if you get tax deductions for plugins?

• Like 2

Just now, CoveCamper said:

I wonder if you own a pro studio if you get tax deductions for plugins?

YES!  Anything you buy is Tax Deductible as a Business Expense!  I guess that's
one of the perks of having a Pro Studio!  If I could deduct what I buy from my income
they would owe ME money! :P

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 2
  • Haha 3

I couldn't help it and started watching the video. It's painful. The filters filter, the EQ EQs, the compressor compresses. At some point he says that this plugin has the "perfect amount of bands for an EQ." Dude, don't try so hard. As for workflow, there's always trade offs. What if you want two compressors in series? Also, I don't see a control to do parallel compression. Single window vs multiple windows is the same with tradeoffs, single is more convenient, multiple shows more parameters. 

"The really cool thing about this is [that] you can change the order of these modules." Plugin of the year. 

His conclusion is that you get "pro" sound out of this and that's why it's worth its price. What a load...

Funny thing, the next video YouTube recommended was one of Dan Worrall's videos from the series "What's wrong with stock plugins?" I like the algorithm's sense of humor. 

Edited by Monomox
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Monomox said:

His conclusion is that you get "pro" sound out of this and that's why it's worth its price. What a load...

It seems that the Harrison and Samplitude crowd are not that different from each other.

"The really cool thing about this is [that] you can change the order of these modules." Plugin of the year. 

Wait until he learns that in T-Racks Suite, you can have as many modules as you want in any order you want. Or that kiloheart's Snap Heap can load instances of itself as a module. That's at least 6 Nobel prizes.

I couldn't help it and started watching the video. It's painful. The filters filter, the EQ EQs, the compressor compresses. At some point he says that this plugin has the "perfect amount of bands for an EQ." Dude, don't try so hard. As for workflow, there's always trade offs. What if you want two compressors in series? Also, I don't see a control to do parallel compression. Single window vs multiple windows is the same with tradeoffs, single is more convenient, multiple shows more parameters. 

Well, guy has the job of comparing that monstrosity against FabFilter plugins so...You look at that EQ, which doesn't have Linear Phase mode, doesn't have M/S processing then you look at Pro-Q3 with its 24 bands and stereo+m/s options per band, as well as dynamic EQing, EQ matching...Same thing with the other plugins. It's a tough sell, especially considering the product that channel strip is competing against also comes with a limiter, reverb, filter, saturation plugin, delay and two synths...for $500 less.

This is tough as well if you consider that you can buy Nuendo 11 for less than that. And that's not even the upgrade price. That's the full version with the USB dongle included too.

So I get what he's saying with this video. It's less about being better than everything else and more about getting the sound of the old Harrison console itself which, I mean, I guess some people might want that? Maybe? Is it worth $1500? Not really. Alex is a well known person in this industry but you can tell he was choosing his words carefully with this and doesn't seem to be endorsing anything, just giving the by the book information which makes my eyebrows go up a little more when it comes to the plugin itself. I doubt he will implement this into his own workflow.

50 minutes ago, Batwaffel said:

So I get what he's saying with this video. It's less about being better than everything else and more about getting the sound of the old Harrison console itself...

This. The famous M. Jackson's Thriller sound. For $1500 I wish they shipped it with the hardware :D.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Batwaffel said:

more about getting the sound of the old Harrison console itself which, I mean, I guess some people might want that? Maybe?

This plugin emulates  a modern digital console which happens to be used in two locations where film stuff take place. Not really a vintage console emulation. UAD and Analog Obsession already have that covered.

Harrison is one of those companies that doesn't look like they know how much to charge for a plugin. Heck, just their AVA Vocal Flow Plugin costs over a grand and...You can buy several plugin collections for that amount of money.