Waves Central Updated to 12.0.16

cclarry

When i did this I got a dialog about some component already being installed (without the dialog identifying what) and acting like it made the install fail.  But it appeared to work anyway.  I think Wave's is trying to install one or more of the Microsoft C++ runtimes and didn't pass the right flags to silence the installer.  I really wish companies would do a better job with their installers.  I'm still upset with Magix and their totally broken ACID Pro installers.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, what would be the benefit from updating waves central? Does it make any influence on how the waves plugins work, or it's just about the waves central alone and I can just skip it until I'll need to install/uninstall some of the plugins? Thx

2 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Out of curiosity, what would be the benefit from updating waves central? Does it make any influence on how the waves plugins work, or it's just about the waves central alone and I can just skip it until I'll need to install/uninstall some of the plugins? Thx

Usually updates are for "new" plugins, or for performance and/or bug fixes...
so skipping probably wouldn't matter unless you were affected by whatever issue it fixes
I would assume.

1 hour ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Just in case you were wondering this update doesn't fix the sndfile.dll problem Cakewalk updates are having with WavesLocalServer.exe

On my system I only have a dialog box saying "Failed to execute script WavesLocalServer" during scan the first time I run Cakewalk after updating Waves Central, but then it's all working ok and the dialog box never comes back, weird.

In Task Manager I can see two WavesLocalServer processes loaded during the first scan.

Edited by chris.r

On 2/24/2021 at 6:54 AM, Matthew Sorrels said:

Just in case you were wondering this update doesn't fix the sndfile.dll problem Cakewalk updates are having with WavesLocalServer.exe

IMO, the issue that needed to be "fixed" is that Waves Local Server keeps running after I exit my DAW. I guess they're trying to close the annoyance gap with iLok PACE.

Waiting for support for generic thumb drives to be dropped.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

IMO, the issue that needed to be "fixed" is that Waves Local Server keeps running after I exit my DAW. I guess they're trying to close the annoyance gap with iLok PACE.

Waiting for support for generic thumb drives to be dropped.

I think they see it running as a service/server as a feature.  The fact it doesn't shut down is the design.  A bad design, but it's clear they made a choice.  They could however change it so that it doesn't load DLL's from the DAW that launched it instead of their own.  I suspect the best we can hope for is they make it running after the DAW exits an option.

• Like 2

So my computer was acting a little odd and I generally spend a lot of time tracing things like that.  Along the way I noticed that the WavesLocalServer.exe was eating 1.6GIGS of ram.  In fact it was highest consuming app running on my computer at the time.  Now it's true I do have Mercury+ so I guess I have a lot of browser presets (which is what the local server manages I think) but that's crazy.  I think I'm going to do something so it gets nuked every time I shut down my DAW.  Not exactly sure how I'll do it, maybe some sort of thing that checks to see if a DAW is running and if not kills it.  They have gone beyond crazy.

When I checked on my WavesLocalServer it was only using 122 MB.

But the only Waves bundles that I own are Abbey Road and the H Series, plus a handful of other individual plugins, so clearly not as many presets as you!

It would be interesting to know what makes that memory usage increase.

It hasn't been a problem in the past (I checked/watched it when they first added it), but I did this Wave Central update the other day.  It might have just been some sort of odd case.  But no invisible background app should reserve that much memory.  I'm pretty sure I can rig something up with Powershell or perhaps a scheduled task that will kill it if no DAW is running.  Seems like something like that may be necessary after all.

I read somewhere that all that happens if you nuke Waves Local Server is that the new Preset Browser doesn't work any more. I haven't tried it, don't remember where I read it.

I, too have checked and found Waves Local Server gobbling up resources. I have maybe a dozen of their plug-ins and only regularly use about 3 or 4.