Cakewalk MAC issues

Danny

Anyone using the mac version? Decided to test it out but can't get it to see more than 8 inputs from my Midas console. Does anyone know why this may be happening? I've tried all the driver choices and none of them even work for playback other than MME. I would think ASIO would work, but we don't see anything showing up in the driver input/output options. Any ideas? We are using mac os software that is compatible with the release. Totally stumped?!

28 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

it was a failed experiment, i wouldn't waste any time trying to get it to work, google the old forum for the scary details

Yep... It isn't a native MAC version and it is unsupported now. I hope Bandlab to make the program crossplatform eventually. Many of us don't want to rely on a single OS always.

Edited by Feral State Sound

Of course, if cakewalk had a Mac version they’d still be part of Roland since Roland  wouldn’t have had to provide an Mac  daw for their hardware products as well as the pc cake.  Cakewalk tried and tried to make a Mac version but failed.  Don’t expect one.  Cakewalk should have made a p5 Mac version when they wrote that daw.

From what I remember, it wasn't a failure as such. They did get something working, but the cost of making it work properly was too high. Then of course they'd have the cost of ongoing maintenance of DAWs on two OS's.

Cakewalk have already dropped 32 bit support so they can concentrate on only one OS.

So yeah, don't expect one.

I have used the mac version only to record a couple of mono vocal tracks.  It worked in a pinch, but getting much more out of it was ruff and I was glad when I was able to get back to my own rig.  It works, but not fully capable.

3 hours ago, Alan Tubbs said:

Of course, if cakewalk had a Mac version they’d still be part of Roland since Roland  wouldn’t have had to provide an Mac  daw for their hardware products as well as the pc cake.  Cakewalk tried and tried to make a Mac version but failed.  Don’t expect one.  Cakewalk should have made a p5 Mac version when they wrote that daw.

Digital Performer and FL Studio are now cross-platform. I don' t know why we shouldn't expect a Cakewalk MAC version if the Bandlab main goal is to make music production available to everyone. All of Bandlab apps are cross-platform and if they want to use Cakewalk as a host for uploading or importing music from or to their social media if makes more sense than ever to think on a MAC version, even if it implies a high cost.

Edited by Feral State Sound

The Cakewalk Mac prototype was hardly a failed experiment! It was very successful considering we got about 80% functionality with very low development cost, and it demonstrated to us what we would need to do to take the project further if we wanted to. It also helped us to make several improvements and optimizations to the SONAR codebase. Ultimately it was a budgetary decision to not pursue it.

These days all cross platform apps use a framework. It makes little sense to write per platform apps from scratch due to the high cost of development.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

The Cakewalk Mac prototype was hardly a failed experiment! It was very successful considering we got about 80% functionality with very low development cost, and it demonstrated to us what we would need to do to take the project further if we wanted to. It also helped us to make several improvements and optimizations to the SONAR codebase. Ultimately it was a budgetary decision to not pursue it.

These days all cross platform apps use a framework. It makes little sense to write per platform apps from scratch due to the high cost of development.

And is there any plan to bring back that project now with Bandlab? Thank you!

On 3/31/2019 at 11:36 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

Which framework will you be using  for cross platform CbB?  😀

5 hours ago, urock said:

Whatever one you like if you're the one donating the cash to cover rewriting the program from scratch.

Edited by TheSteven

5 hours ago, urock said:

33 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Whatever one you like if you're the one donating the cash to cover rewriting the program from scratch.

If it was me, I'd use Xamarin for the GUI, and JUCE for the low level stuff. You might be able to use JUCE for the GUI as well I guess, but I suspect it would be more effort.

For the Cakewalk team though, that would be a huge undertaking.

On 3/31/2019 at 8:36 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

that's the business response!! technically it definitely makes sense to develop per-platform, but like you say it costs more

there exists the "rule of 3" i'm sure you must've heard of - quick, good, low-cost - choose 2-  most commercial software is usually quick and low-cost...

if the prototype was genuinely successful it wouldn't have been dropped

wrapping windows code in codeweavers stuff only works for basic stuff (check their website for examples), thinking you could do that to sonar?! when you're already using codejock libs for the "skylight" gui, and all the hooks into the windows os ecosystem...? how many layers of wrappers and workarounds do you want?

all this framework stuff is commercial hijacking of software development - if you look at the latest non-commercial/"serious" stuff like ai they wouldn't touch frameworks or wrappers with a barge- pole

/rant over, carry on as you were

• Like 1