For our friends in Oregon...

bitflipper

Hey Bit,

Only wish I could share with you the beauty of the pending Oregon sunset over a wild Pacific ocean. No flying whales, but plenty of them that shoot out of the water trying to fly.

Settled here because it was about as much a Paradise as I've found from my travels across the planet. Plus the real gems aren't in the travel guides.

Think you live a few hours north of me in Washington. You got a respected invitation to wander down for a visit. Five star ocean front accommodations that will suck the breath out of you.

Deal is, you give me a couple piano lessons and I'll take you on a real tour of Oregon.

Stay safe dear brother,

John

My wife is an engineer and used to travel 2 to 3 weeks out of every month for work. She spent a lot of time in Oregon and Washington designing and setting up water treatment plants and I went with her a few times. I loved the area and wished I could have stayed longer.

Shane,

Cool that you would mention the water treatment plants.

Worked for awhile in Brookings, OR.  Few miles north of the California border.

Major unknown gems there are the Oregon redwood forests and the Chetco Sewer Plant.

Incredible introspective trails thru the redwoods that never get on the map. Maybe why they are still there.

The Chetco water treatment plant is an adventure with a warning.

All you got to do is follow the path on the south side of the facility and hold your nose to not choke from the stench.

Once on the west side a ways past the plant, there is fresh air and you can breathe again. The path follows to a fork, hi road or the lo road.

At the fork, the hi road has a warning to proceed only if you don't value your life (and for good reason).

Low road leads to a more protected landscape of crashing waves and a barrier from the raw ocean. Dangerous, but you could probably take your kid there and not get hauled away for child abuse.

The upper road however ends in a grassy plateau with straight drops to death. 200 foot explosions of water and waves against the cliffs. We mapped out locations on the volcanic basalt where you could sit and grasp rock formations. All you had to do was hang on and hold your breath as long as you were under water. That's if you could take the cold shock. Not proud to say it, but almost lost my daughter on a hair brained adventure.

If you got your will made out and all things in order, check out the Chetco Sewer and water treatment plant. Oregon's finest spectacle. Winter the best time for maximum violence.

John

• Like 1

I love this area, but too many of the people are bat-guano crazy!  Things have gone downhill a lot since I first moved up here in 2003...  I, along with a few friends, have been researching areas in the Pacific Northwest to move to that have the parts we like, but without the lunatics (and their excessive trash, illegal drugs, crime and graffiti).  Right now, Sandpoint Idaho is looking really good, plus I've recently found out that there are friends of friends already living there that are completely willing to help answer any questions I have!  If I move, it would be my first home not on the Left Coast (Kalifornia, AreWeGone? & Washington).

1 hour ago, craigb said:

I love this area, but too many of the people are bat-guano crazy!  Things have gone downhill a lot since I first moved up here in 2003...  I, along with a few friends, have been researching areas in the Pacific Northwest to move to that have the parts we like, but without the lunatics (and their excessive trash, illegal drugs, crime and graffiti).  Right now, Sandpoint Idaho is looking really good, plus I've recently found out that there are friends of friends already living there that are completely willing to help answer any questions I have!  If I move, it would be my first home not on the Left Coast (Kalifornia, AreWeGone? & Washington).

Yeah, since you mention it, when I was in Oregon and Washington the locals were not happy about the state of their states. All I'll say is, if you leave some place because it's so bad and head North ... don't bring your b.s. with you. The natives of Oregon and Washington were some of the nicest people I ever met.

A friend of mine I've known since 1st grade from NJ recently made a trip out west in one of those old people delivery vans she had customized. This vid on youtube is her giving a tour of the van if your interested in that kind of thing. It has over 1.2 million views. Her and her girls stopped to stay with me overnight on her way back through. I hadn't seen her since 89 when we graduated H.S.. Edit: I forgot to mention she loved Idaho and didn't want to leave.

I want my final resting place to be Idaho or maybe even Utah. We went out that way one time for 2 weeks and canceled the 2nd week of our trip to stay in Idaho longer. 

Edited by Shane_B.

On 2/23/2021 at 8:14 PM, craigb said:

Right now, Sandpoint Idaho is looking really good, plus I've recently found out that there are friends of friends already living there that are completely willing to help answer any questions I have!  If I move, it would be my first home not on the Left Coast (Kalifornia, AreWeGone? & Washington).

I have longtime roots in Sandpoint. My grandparents settled on a couple hundred acres there in 1949, and it was the first destination of my life at 2 months of age. At 13, I spent a summer there logging with my grandfather. Mom 'n Dad bought a couple acres with a cabin on the lake in the 60's and it was our annual summer destination growing up. Lost my virginity in those woods (not a joke). My folks built a rammed-earth house there in the 90's, but we had to sell it when Mom died and Dad got dementia. So yeh, lots of fond memories there.

But I am genuinely sad to report that Sandpoint ain't what it used to be. It has traffic lights now, and the traffic to go with them. It's become San Francisco of the north. The local government has been infested with California refugees with their big-city ideas about zoning rules and such. No more building your own log cabin without a permit. Lots of music still happening, though.

On 2/23/2021 at 5:08 PM, John K said:

Hey Bit,

Only wish I could share with you the beauty of the pending Oregon sunset over a wild Pacific ocean. No flying whales, but plenty of them that shoot out of the water trying to fly.

Settled here because it was about as much a Paradise as I've found from my travels across the planet. Plus the real gems aren't in the travel guides.

Think you live a few hours north of me in Washington. You got a respected invitation to wander down for a visit. Five star ocean front accommodations that will suck the breath out of you.

Deal is, you give me a couple piano lessons and I'll take you on a real tour of Oregon.

Stay safe dear brother,

John

You're on! 

I've seen a number of Pacific sunsets from the Oregon coast, mostly from Yachats, where my daughter's in-laws had a place. Also spent time in Newport, when we felt like enjoying big-city amenities such as the Ripley's Believe it or Not museum.

Lots of talk here about places we'd rather live. But I've travelled pretty extensively, lived in Europe and in every corner of the U.S., have a tropical island home in the Philippines, and still haven't found anywhere that suits me better overall than the Pacific Northwest.

21 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Wow when you want your space Shane you want your space ;)

The only time I get to mess with my music is when she's gone, so to be honest, I do look forward to her being gone. She'll be in Texas for 3 days next week. Then back to Hawaii in May I think. Nothing important going on in May now is there. 🤨 She was gone 3 weeks every month during our first 13 or so years together. She hasn't traveled like that in over 10 now. Been together 24 or 25 years?

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

I have longtime roots in Sandpoint. My grandparents settled on a couple hundred acres there in 1949, and it was the first destination of my life at 2 months of age. At 13, I spent a summer there logging with my grandfather. Mom 'n Dad bought a couple acres with a cabin on the lake in the 60's and it was our annual summer destination growing up. Lost my virginity in those woods (not a joke). My folks built a rammed-earth house there in the 90's, but we had to sell it when Mom died and Dad got dementia. So yeh, lots of fond memories there.

But I am genuinely sad to report that Sandpoint ain't what it used to be. It has traffic lights now, and the traffic to go with them. It's become San Francisco of the north. The local government has been infested with California refugees with their big-city ideas about zoning rules and such. No more building your own log cabin without a permit. Lots of music still happening, though.

Yikes!  Certainly NOT what I'm looking for...  Plus, once I can afford to, I've got custom house plans I'd like to use that will definitely have parts where permit-checkers won't be allowed!  Heh... 

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

Lost my virginity in those woods (not a joke)

Now I'm thinking of that story about the man and the bear that ends with the line....

The bear whispered in his ear........."you're not really here for the hunting are you"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, craigb said:

Yikes!  Certainly NOT what I'm looking for...  Plus, once I can afford to, I've got custom house plans I'd like to use that will definitely have parts where permit-checkers won't be allowed!  Heh... 

Oh, there are still plenty of remote, unincorporated spots to build your house without gummint interference. When the Nazis moved out they left behind some verdant, low-tax, isolated properties.

At least, I think they've gone. But then that's what they'd want you to think.

• Haha 1