i need help with old files

essentially: i happened across an old hdd that i thought was lost to time and had  a few almost finished album projects on it..   needing a little guidance on how to recover/continue working on these songs..

i don't remember what cakewalk edition i was using.. tho the files are circa 2007 and saved with cwp formatting..

pondering if i should seek out the old program version for compatibility, try using them with this new free daw i just found out about, or what would be best.

thank you for your help 

That's right, Your lucky it's CWP as that's the easiest of all formats to use in the new version. Just open the fines and sort out the few things that might not jive and your audio and MIdi should all be the exact same as when you saved it 15 years ago. As Treesha has said, it will only be any outdated plug ins and possible those were 32 bit anyhow, so good to start with new stuff. 

Yup, Cakewalk has always been very good about backward compatibility. I once successfully loaded a dozen Cakewalk 1.0 projects dating back to 1986 into SONAR 8.5. The hardest part was finding a floppy drive.

But those were all MIDI. Where you're likely to run into a snag is with old plugins you no longer have. Not a showstopper, though, unless they're virtual instruments.