Free Guitar AMP VST plugins

jeandoumpier

Hello. Anyone can suggest here some free (or restricted demo versions) of good guitar amp for Cakewalk, especially using for electric guitar recording?

If there are some mini-suits with amp-pedals etc, i would be glad to know where to find them either free or with low cost or demos.

I am intrested of playing rock-progressive rock-blues songs, so i want something satisfying ''disorted'' but not ''over-disorted'' (i don't play metal sounds etc).

Thanks.

1 hour ago, jeandoumpier said:

I already have TH3 but the Free version, you have to pay for having all the TH3 ''suite''. By the way, the main problem is that i generally can't found some free amp with at least one packet of pedals (delay,disortion,chorus,noise reduction etc.).

What are you looking for specifically? Just having hundreds of amps and effects in a plugin is no guarantee of you finding the sound you're looking for.

thanks man. Doe

On 2/24/2021 at 12:02 AM, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Thanks man. Does anyone here could tell me which amplifier sim and which pedals  (along with settings of course) use for Gilmour's sound on TH3 free or amplitube 5 (free version), or guitar rig (free version)? If yes, it would be helpful for me. And slash's sound too. There is slash tone involved in amplitube 5 but it's for paid version. That';s why i am trying some free stuff to play these musician's sounds with my guitar.

i think there are sites where musicians often share their "secret" mix of effects, string sizes, vibrato/or/not, etc to get their sounds. i often watch these videos: https://www.premierguitar.com/topics/820-guitarists it's sometimes amazing how simple the rigs are for the most famous players, and of course some are also quite complex at times. some distortion, reverb, delays, maybe some chorus/phase/flange, and voilà!  then you watch Edge, Andy Summers, Robert Fripp, and many more, and it's mind blowing the layering these guys use.

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

i think there are sites where musicians often share their "secret" mix of effects, string sizes, vibrato/or/not, etc to get their sounds. i often watch these videos: https://www.premierguitar.com/topics/820-guitarists it's sometimes amazing how simple the rigs are for the most famous players, and of course some are also quite complex at times. some distortion, reverb, delays, maybe some chorus/phase/flange, and voilà!  then you watch Edge, Andy Summers, Robert Fripp, and many more, and it's mind blowing the layering these guys use.

I would only use those as a starting point or reference. You will not sound the same as those guys even if they let you use their gear.

4 hours ago, jeandoumpier said:

Thanks man. Does anyone here could tell me which amplifier sim and which pedals  (along with settings of course) use for Gilmour's sound on TH3 free or amplitube 5 (free version), or guitar rig (free version)? If yes, it would be helpful for me. And slash's sound too. There is slash tone involved in amplitube 5 but it's for paid version. That';s why i am trying some free stuff to play these musician's sounds with my guitar.

David Gilmour's primary amps were Hiwatt DR-100 half stacks, but he's been seen using all sorts of Fender combo amps over the years. Gilmour gets most of his drive from pedals, not from the amp. This is quite opposite from players like early Hendrix and Van Halen, where the sound is 99% the amp.

I'll see if I can do a video about it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

You will not sound the same as those guys even if they let you use their gear.

Hehe, of course...If it were easy there 'd be no David Gilmour and other guys to make our living better with their music and inspiration...

Yes, it would be nice a video about these sounds, especially via amp sims for these programs. Because there is no free vst plugin with at least one amp AND 3-4 pedals (the basics) being compo for a solid sound. Amped Roots is nice, but it's a little dirty sound... Even though they released also free (partially) amped stevie t, which is cleaner sound.

4 hours ago, jeandoumpier said:

Hehe, of course...If it were easy there 'd be no David Gilmour and other guys to make our living better with their music and inspiration...

Yes, it would be nice a video about these sounds, especially via amp sims for these programs. Because there is no free vst plugin with at least one amp AND 3-4 pedals (the basics) being compo for a solid sound. Amped Roots is nice, but it's a little dirty sound... Even though they released also free (partially) amped stevie t, which is cleaner sound.

Did you overlook the 12 pedals included this amp sim that comes with Cakewalk? Maybe not the ones you are seeking, but they are included.

TH3 Cakewalk Edition by Overloud

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Plug-ins.2.html#1813385

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 2:51 AM, jeandoumpier said:

Hello. Anyone can suggest here some free (or restricted demo versions) of good guitar amp for Cakewalk, especially using for electric guitar recording?

If there are some mini-suits with amp-pedals etc, i would be glad to know where to find them either free or with low cost or demos.

I am intrested of playing rock-progressive rock-blues songs, so i want something satisfying ''disorted'' but not ''over-disorted'' (i don't play metal sounds etc).

Thanks.

These have demos:

Gilmour was known to use the RAMS head Muff fuzz:   https://www.audiority.com/shop/big-goat/

As well as a fuzz face earlier on:   https://www.audiority.com/shop/blue-face/

Echorec was fundamental in the earlier more experimental days - think Echoes:  https://www.audiority.com/shop/echoes-t7e/

This effect (the Uni-Vibe) for Breathe and Any Color You Like:  https://www.audiority.com/shop/tube-modulator/

Reverb is always welcome with his playing (well not always, he famously turns the effects of in certain setions)  https://www.audiority.com/shop/xenoverb/   But for Free you should really try the B-Reverb ones in Cakewalk.

As for the AMP, you are generally looking for something like a Big HiWatt - high headroom guitar amp when he then hits with either a Fuzz or the Tube Driver pedal.  But honestly if you gave Gilmore any high headroom amp and his pedal board with a Strat and his fingers, it is going to sound like him.

Since you are looking a free options, this is one of the best available:

https://www.nembriniaudio.com/collections/free/products/crunck-v2-guitar-amplifier

It has a very wide range of gain.  This wouldn't be my go-to out of all the options on the market, but in the free category it is a very good starting place.

Amplitube 5 is also a good free one, however none of the free amps with it conjure up typical gilmore amps to me.  But you can demo some of the others that might.

My favorite amp sims on the market are from Plugin Alliance.  None emulate a HiWatt, but you might find one that works for you with the 15 day full functional demos.  I like the FUCHS Overdrive Suprme for clean tones and it has a very wide range of eq options on board with the knobs and switch combinations.  

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 8:24 PM, Brian Walton said:

My favorite amp sims on the market are from Plugin Alliance.

Who are currently running a sale where all but a handful of their plug-ins are $29 each. A very good deal seeing as some of the ones included in the sale normally go for hundreds.

That Pedal Show recently did a video all about the "Gilmour" sound. Using some basic pedals and a clean amp seems to be the way to go. I am guessing that any number of the free ones out there can get you pretty close. TH3, Amplitube and Guitar Rig all have clean amps included. Sadly they don't include the Gilmour "talent" switcher. This make an interesting watch but you can skip through to the last third of the video to see how Dan approaches the sound with amp, pedals and FX. Should be fairly easy to replicate with plugins.

Edited by NealClark

On 3/2/2021 at 3:27 AM, jeandoumpier said:

Yes, but that amp sim ''Brainworx bx_rockrack V3 Player'' which is presented as ''FREE'', doesn't allow you even to change fox example gain, middle, treble etc for it's free version. So, ''free'' it's only at the papers.

That is why that version is free.  

They make soem of the best sims on the market and offer a 15 day demo.  The $30 price point for any of the (today due to a sale) is frankly quite reasonable.  

This is really a teaser, and I don't really use it.