Jump to content
Kurre

Start screen icons.

Recommended Posts

You had to mention The Mothers!!!  Now "Status Back Baby" is stuck in my head. 

||: Doo dooo, doo dooo, doo dooo, doo dooo, doo dit' dih doooooooo :|| etc.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sjoens said:

As Daniel mentioned in the video, there are more "magic" words to discover.

Daniel's list (from Kurre):

Rock / triggers the sunburst les paul guitar
Mixing, Basic / trigger the speaker image
Piano, Keys / trigger the grand piano image
Mastering / triggers the gold album image
Drums / trigger the drum set image
Orchestration, Bass / trigger the violin,viola and cello image     (orchestra)
Synth / triggers the synthesizer image

What I found in addition with defaults:

Guitar Amps, Metal = Amps
Electronic, Dance, Techno, Trance = synthesizer
Guitar, Pop, Jazz, Blues = les paul
Acoustic, Song = acoustic guitar  (<< John Vere)
Rap, HipHop = boombox
Vocals, Singer = microphone

If 2 trigger words are used, alphabetical order takes precedence for which image is used.
It also seems if part of a  word contains a trigger word, like songwriter, it will display that image. 
Extra points to anyone who finds triggers for the 4 and 16 track icons, if there are any. 

For me, using "Basic" gets me nothing (the default .cwt file image) but using "Mixing" works for the speaker image. I can also not get the "Empty Project" image of the blank staff paper to come up with anything so far, nor the 4 and 16 trk mixing consoles.

I've also noticed ('tho I think it has been pointed out here somewhere) that simply changing any of the template file names in the template folder within Windows Explorer to any of these magic words is enough to get the associated Start Screen icon to be chosen/changed. You can even keep CW open, but close and re-open the Start Screen to see the change.

 

As for custom templates with custom images....

Strange, @sjoens, that you can't get "my way" to work, but perhaps there is something in the following. I have noticed this peculiarity (this whole thing is peculiar, really!):

In the Save As dialog, IF I type the name of my template file first and then choose Type/Template and Go to folder/Template files after and then save, the file is nevertheless saved in the Projects folder as a template! It, of course, then doesn't show up in the Start Screen templates.

IF however I choose the Type/Template and Go to folder/Template files before typing the file name and then save, the file saves in the Templates folder as desired and shows up with its chosen image/icon on the Start Screen templates window.

This second method has been my habitual default, and so I didn't notice the difference until today by accident.

 

How's that for idle hands!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool

 

For the Empty Project, 4 & 16 Track images there seems to be no "magic" word. 

If you open one and save it with the same name, CbB removes the image from the file.

For these 3 files the image seems to be embedded in the file itself whereas the others appear to retrieve their image from a location within CbB.

Edited by sjoens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, winkpain said:

As for custom templates with custom images....

Strange, @sjoens, that you can't get "my way" to work, but perhaps there is something in the following. I have noticed this peculiarity (this whole thing is peculiar, really!):

1. In the Save As dialog, IF I type the name of my template file first and then choose Type/Template and Go to folder/Template files after and then save, the file is nevertheless saved in the Projects folder as a template! It, of course, then doesn't show up in the Start Screen templates.

2. IF however I choose the Type/Template and Go to folder/Template files before typing the file name and then save, the file saves in the Templates folder as desired and shows up with its chosen image/icon on the Start Screen templates window.

This second method has been my habitual default, and so I didn't notice the difference until today by accident.

Like Starship both these methods give me the default image. I can only get a custom image doing it Glenn's way.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2021 at 3:04 AM, sjoens said:

Like Starship both these methods give me the default image. I can only get a custom image doing it Glenn's way.

So W E I R D !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always had the start screen shut off as well. I  use the File menu out of habit. If I click Open it takes me to my Data drive where I have different folders. One of them is a Template folder but the templates are all actually CWP files. I was only using the Start screen in my Tutorials as that's easy for beginners to figure out. 

But for me none of those Magic words work either. All I get is the screenshot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are template icons for anyone that would like to utilize them.  They have transparent backgrounds to they display exactly as project temp icons were meant to do.
vst_Cc2a.CA-2ALevelingAmplifier_64_device.png.445623f4b15690d73717ee579b9f5dd3.pngdefault_box_shot.png.85fa6d0083bd49f67b8609380e83fb9c.pngKeys-Icon.png.4628c49ff7d415f539c4c39258fb6745.pngGuitars-Icon.png.f099feb7d21488564a773fa458be99c3.pngElectricPiano-Keys-Icon.png.0770b146d88f108a8a913a9972536a09.pngSynth-Icon.png.8fdac879d01e6d61a75e8190db2dc100.pngOrchestral-Icon.png.26f045a3d55f488366cdf90ff4c1bae6.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Command Center\Cache\images"

They are "Rapture" icons.

I'm missing the CA2A image for some reason.

Edited by sjoens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2021 at 5:27 PM, sjoens said:

"C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Command Center\Cache\images"

They are "Rapture" icons.

I'm missing the CA2A image for some reason.

I may have included CA2A by mistake as a few of the images are  screenshots created by Reason and are great small graphics to utilize

 

Edited by cloventine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MichelCA said:

Is there any new information about the icons route?  

If you mean "C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Command Center\Cache\images" you will not be seeing this if you don't have installed the old Cakewalk that was before Bandlab took over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kurre said:

If you mean "C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Command Center\Cache\images" you will not be seeing this if you don't have installed the old Cakewalk that was before Bandlab took over.

That explains why I couldn't find that path. I have the latest update by bandlab, I hope they consider the icons pack location  in a near future for customization

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, new information. After trying all of the suggestions in this thread, I still couldn't get it to work reliably. Believe me, I've tried, multiple times. I'm picky about visuals, as a look at the 6 custom Cakewalk themes I've authored will attest.

Thanks to the video I'll be linking to at the bottom, I found yet another method, and this one seems to work every time, at least so far. Here are the steps:

  1. Choose a PNG image you wish to use for your template's icon
  2. Rename it <template name>.cwt.png (for instance "Basic Audio.cwt.png")
  3. Place a copy of it in the folder where Cakewalk stores your templates.
  4. Save your project template (if it already exists, open it and save it again, it seems to be during the saving process that Cakewalk looks around for the image file).

Voila, next time you hit the Start Screen, your icon should show up. I'll use careful language and say that so far, this doesn't seem to require any keywords or typing over existing filenames or any of the old voodoo. This is new voodoo, and it lets you name your templates whatever you wish.

Please try it and let me know what you find. Who would have thought that it would take so long to crack this nut. I'm going to ask Neel (the guy in the video) how on Earth he figured this out. His videos are good in general, too, and feature interesting genres of music not often heard on YouTube tutorial vids.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2021 at 10:35 AM, winkpain said:

Extra points to anyone who finds triggers for the 4 and 16 track icons, if there are any.

(Actually winkpain didn't say that first, rather he quoted it from sjoens and I quoted it from winkpain's post)

Then there's the matter of the seemingly random ones that Cakewalk puts on my Recent Projects. About half of them have the standard screen shot, but then the others have the Mini Moog, the generic icon, or this one, which I guess to differentiate from the gold record, suggests that you will get your song on to vinyl, gold record optional:

image.png.772ee64e0946657f26cced25f9ef3707.png

Looking back over these posts since February, it's astonishing how many times someone has posted saying that they have come up with a method that works 100% of the time. But experience tells me that this only really means it works 100% of the time for them, whether a single other soul is going to be able to get their method to work is anyone's guess. I'm sure that after posting the one I got from Neel, someone will chime in and tell me that nope, doesn't work for them, or maybe it'll stop working for me after a while.

I've had that happen, where these methods will work for me for a while, then suddenly for no apparent reason, stop working. Worse than anti-depressant meds in that regard. 😂

Edited by Starship Krupa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Then there's the matter of the seemingly random ones that Cakewalk puts on my Recent Projects. About half of them have the standard screen shot, but then the others have the Mini Moog, the generic icon, or this one, which I guess to differentiate from the gold record, suggests that you will get your song on to vinyl, gold record optional:

image.png.772ee64e0946657f26cced25f9ef3707.png

Looking back over these posts since February, it's astonishing how many times someone has posted saying that they have come up with a method that works 100% of the time. But experience tells me that this only really means it works 100% of the time for them, whether a single other soul is going to be able to get their method to work is anyone's guess. I'm sure that after posting the one I got from Neel, someone will chime in and tell me that nope, doesn't work for them, or maybe it'll stop working for me after a while.

I've had that happen, where these methods will work for me for a while, then suddenly for no apparent reason, stop working. Worse than anti-depressant meds in that regard. 😂

I hear you.

My "basic" template icon suddenly disappeared and my first and only attempt to get it back failed.

Right now my thoughts are to wait and only fix it when i make a decent song. Like blackmailing myself. 😜

There's a chance it will never be fixed. 🤡

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there's a display limit for each... :D

BTW, not sure how winkpain got credit for my quote (2 notes up). Just makin' sure royalties go to rightful parties. :P

Edited by sjoens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...