Start screen icons.

Kurre

2 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

That is some great detective work.  How did you find out about the trigger words and who wrote up the trigger word list?

Thanks. One of the topics here on the forum mentioned a YT video. I checked it out and that guy had come quite a bit in solving it. His name is mentioned in the pdf. It is Daniel Carl Heister.

The video:

For some reason he is doing the right thing with renaming the template but do not point out that the filetype need to be untouched.

My guess is that it is his usual way to rename files when saving and thus perfectly normal behaviour.

When i rename files in "save" windows i usually delete everything on the name line, write the new name and let the filetype be addended automatically. That did not work in this case.

Why? I haven't the faintest idea. 🤔 :)

Edited by Kurre

• 4 months later...

FYI, even with all of these step-by-step instructions, I have still never been able to get my templates to show anything but the default sheet of paper with "CWT" on it in Start Screen:

image.png.249e62d78e02d4b251755f2a12ccb0e9.png

That's the start screen icon I get after opening the factory Basic.cwt (which has the monitor picture on it) and without doing anything else, saving it as a template in my templates folder by clicking on the existing filename "Basic.cwt," then selecting the word "Basic" only and replacing it with "Really Basic" and clicking okay.

It just won't work for me for some reason, even though multiple people have reported success. I sat through the video where he shows what he's typing, I read the PDF.

What am I doing wrong?

On 7/3/2021 at 9:15 AM, Starship Krupa said:

FYI, even with all of these step-by-step instructions, I have still never been able to get my templates to show anything but the default sheet of paper with "CWT" on it in Start Screen:

image.png.249e62d78e02d4b251755f2a12ccb0e9.png

That's the start screen icon I get after opening the factory Basic.cwt (which has the monitor picture on it) and without doing anything else, saving it as a template in my templates folder by clicking on the existing filename "Basic.cwt," then selecting the word "Basic" only and replacing it with "Really Basic" and clicking okay.

It just won't work for me for some reason, even though multiple people have reported success. I sat through the video where he shows what he's typing, I read the PDF.

What am I doing wrong?

Seems you stumbled upon another one of the hidden laws of start screen icons. 🥜🥜

The 4-track, 16-track and basic template icons is "unique" for some reason. You can't change the name. You can with the Guitar Amps and Vocals.

Then there's the situation where you happen to delete one of the unique ones. I tested this by moving it to another folder and then using Vocals.cwt and rename it to Basic.cwt. It did not produce the Basic icon. I then tried this on Guitar Amps and renamed Vocals.cwt to Guitar Amps.cwt which produced a nice new Guitar Amps icon.

I'm sure there's more hidden gems? like this that we don't know about. 🥰

• Like 2

In a recent post Glenn Stanton described a solution where you can use any icon you want in a template without having to include magic words in the file name. After adding the image you simply save as a normal project and then change the file extension to cwt. I tried it out and it seems to work flawlessly. See his post here:

• Like 1

you have to change the icon in the file, save it as a "normal" project file, then rename the extension to .cwt instead of .cwp. otherwise the image embedded will not change. if you open a .cwt file and a .cwp file you can see how the header of the file in the cwp contains a large MIME encoded image in the first part of the file, whereas the cwt files have the image embedded further into the file which is then used when you save the template-generated project as a cwp.

here's the sequence:

new (or existing project or project from a template you want to modify:

2076413235_2021-07-04(0).png.a47c7f976b7c2d98daf74a5374b799d9.png

add your image

1440555681_2021-07-04(1).png.73156fd8b4ebcc0d9ee0ff3f35e4160d.png

save as a "normal" project file

632679528_2021-07-04(2).png.f19b150d811b024d3b2c1953bf27ebf3.png

rename .CWP as .CWT

2002124383_2021-07-04(3).png.bce23115637b97387b35e69ccb282a33.png

copy or move the file into the project templates folder

1235434656_2021-07-04(4).png.6cb5f29dc0870de6db2f87c4352c209a.png

when you open the start screen and select new project, you should see the template with the image

137435369_2021-07-04(5).png.7690a0c7dba55bc7778ece0fed422fbb.png

if you want to change an existing image - use the RED X to remove then add a new image, remember to resave as CWP and RENAME to CWT

643568168_2021-07-04(6).png.9ab90fab1e95b5ace925b0143e37a7f4.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I haven't found it necessary to save as a normal project file first. Not sure what that step is for.

I simply add my desired image in the Browser/Notes,  Save As a Template in the Template Files folder with my chosen name typed into the File Name, and it appears in the Start Screen templates with my chosen image as the icon. Works every time.

The weird part is if I want to save a template that uses one of the default  image icons, I must use one of the "magic words" in its name (i.e. Guitar, Mastering, Vocals, etc.), AND include the extension in the File Name section of the Save As window (still with Type being template and Template Files as the go to folder).  In other words to get the default guitar icon to appear on the Start Screen, I save my template as "My Guitar.cwt" as the file name. If I do not include the ".cwt" typed into the file name, a screenshot is used as the icon (or an image I've placed in the Notes section)

• Like 1

To add to the weirdness. I opened the Basic template. I added a few tracks and busses. I made a few basic changes and then used “save as” , re named it and saved it as A CWP file.

I then out of boredom decided to also save it as a template file. So I used save as again, browsed to the template folder, and saved as a CWT file.
It shows in my start screen under templates and I don’t know how this happened, but it uses a picture of a guitar? Cool.  Bet I can’t do it this again.  

5 hours ago, John Vere said:

To add to the weirdness. I opened the Basic template. I added a few tracks and busses. I made a few basic changes and then used “save as” , re named it and saved it as A CWP file.

I then out of boredom decided to also save it as a template file. So I used save as again, browsed to the template folder, and saved as a CWT file.
It shows in my start screen under templates and I don’t know how this happened, but it uses a picture of a guitar? Cool.  Bet I can’t do it this again.  

What was the filename of the project?

@Kurre

Song Template.

I have no clue how the guitar got there but it sure looks nice! This is the first time I stored a template in the proper folder. In the past I store them on my data drive in a folder I made. I was making a tutorial on using templates when I did this. 

Screenshot (75).png

Edited by John Vere

So then I did this again and now what I get what seems to be a screen shot of the project. I did it twice and then on a different computer. This was also save as a CWP first and then not saving as a CWP first. didn't make a difference. I used different names too. Both machines are up to date. 

Screenshot (76).png

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

So then I did this again and now what I get what seems to be a screen shot of the project. I did it twice and then on a different computer. This was also save as a CWP first and then not saving as a CWP first. didn't make a difference. I used different names too. Both machines are up to date. 

Screenshot (76).png

Ok. Interesting.

Tomorrow i have to use those names "song" and "templates" to see what happens. It seems they would belong to the magic words, but anyones guess is as good as mine.

Just did it again, Opened Basic Template, colored a few things, inserted SI Bass. Used Save As and browsed to the Template folder and saved as " No Busses". Still get the screenshot as the icon. So might be they changed something in the new release. Having the screens shot might be a good idea and obviously one could figure a way to include a easily identified icon in the screenshot too. 

Screenshot (77).png

As Daniel mentioned in the video, there are more "trigger" words to discover.

From Daniel's list (Kurre), John Vere,  & me:

IMAGE = WORD

4 track = (image triggered in default file only?)
16 track = (image triggered in default file only?)
Acoustic Guitar = acoustic, song
Amplifiers = amp, metal
Boombox = hiphop, rap
Drum kit = drum
Gold Record = master  (unless certain other key word also used)
Grand Piano = piano, key
Les Paul = blues, guitar, jazz, pop, rock
Microphone = singer, vocals (not "sing" or "vocal")
Music sheet = (image triggered in default file only?)
Speaker = loud, mix ("basic" triggers image in default file only)
Strings = orchestra, bass
Synthesizer = dance, electro, synth, techno, trance

Most variations of above words work.
Some, but not all, root words work.
If 2 words are used, highest alphabetical word normally, but not always, wins.
To override a trigger word, you must add your own image in Notes Browser.

Updated: 9/11/23

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sjoens said:

As Daniel mentioned in the video, there are more "magic" words to discover.

Daniel's list (from Kurre):

Rock / triggers the sunburst les paul guitar
Mixing, Basic / trigger the speaker image
Piano, Keys / trigger the grand piano image
Mastering / triggers the gold album image
Drums / trigger the drum set image
Orchestration, Bass / trigger the violin,viola and cello image     (orchestra)
Synth / triggers the synthesizer image

What I found in addition with defaults:

Guitar Amps, Metal = Amps
Electronic, Dance, Techno, Trance = synthesizer
Guitar, Pop, Jazz, Blues = les paul
Acoustic, Song = acoustic guitar
Rap, HipHop = boombox
Vocals, Singer = microphone

If 2 trigger words are used, alphabetical order takes precedence for which image is used.
It also seems if part of a  word contains a trigger word, like songwriter, it will display that image. 
Extra points to anyone who finds triggers for the 4 and 16 track icons, if there are any. 

Ok. It was a magic word - song -

After i did the howto i let go of start screen icons. I found out that my focus is on the filename using file menu and not the icon/image. I've turned off the start screen.

I can not turn off my curiosity though. :)

Edited by Kurre
Correction.

Same here. Although I do have my own custom template, I’ve made it my default so I just press Ctrl+N whenever I want to create a new project. I never go through the Start Screen. Guess it was the puzzle-solving that intrigued me.

It's obvious that some of us are here because we are between projects and are fueling curiosity with boredom. 😆

What do they say: Idle hands are the Mothers of Invention ?? 

...No, that's not it. But yeah, boredom fuels curiosity.