Midi output: confusion.

JP van Rumste

Hi all.
Apparently when one has a midi track in a project that is not used it's output is set to the standard midi out port as defined in preferences midi devices. And even if there is no midi out channel selected on the track channel dropdown menu the midi information is sent anyway. Is this normal behaviour for cakewalk? Or is it due to my setup? 
I use midi primarily to send control data via loopMIDI (http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html) to VCV rack and secondarily to manipulate soft synths and plugins in cakewalk. 
As I just spent the better part of the morning thusfar to figure out that my project was going bonkers because of a midi track that wasn't supposed to send any data (the input echo is off, there's no output channel selected but the output is (automatically) set), I'm well, a tad annoyed. 
I'm also slightly mystified as to why the midi input can be set to none, but not the midi output. This can be done with audio tracks, why not midi tracks? 
By the way, I've noticed that midi inputs get changed when closing a project and reopening it; inputs that were set to none suddenly are  set to all inputs, sometimes even to two inputs simultaneously. Just thought I'd mention it. 

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. 
Thnx in advance.
Enjoy

43 minutes ago, JP van Rumste said:

Hi all.
Apparently when one has a midi track in a project that is not used it's output is set to the standard midi out port as defined in preferences midi devices. And even if there is no midi out channel selected on the track channel dropdown menu the midi information is sent anyway. Is this normal behaviour for cakewalk? Or is it due to my setup? 
I use midi primarily to send control data via loopMIDI (http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html) to VCV rack and secondarily to manipulate soft synths and plugins in cakewalk. 
As I just spent the better part of the morning thusfar to figure out that my project was going bonkers because of a midi track that wasn't supposed to send any data (the input echo is off, there's no output channel selected but the output is (automatically) set), I'm well, a tad annoyed. 
I'm also slightly mystified as to why the midi input can be set to none, but not the midi output. This can be done with audio tracks, why not midi tracks? 
By the way, I've noticed that midi inputs get changed when closing a project and reopening it; inputs that were set to none suddenly are  set to all inputs, sometimes even to two inputs simultaneously. Just thought I'd mention it. 

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. 
Thnx in advance.
Enjoy

I have spare hardware out ports, so what I do is to set an unused port as output for those tracks. I think, but I am not sure, that this has been adressed somehow in a recent update. If not, my suggestion is that you create an extra loopMIDI port, label it accordingly an use it for that purpose.

5 hours ago, JP van Rumste said:

Inputs set to None will change automatically to All Outputs Omni or External Outputs Omni when input echo is enabled. Which one depends on whether any plug-ins are generating MIDI data in the project. This is normal operation.

Disabling Always Echo Current MIDI Track will prevent this from happening just by giving a track focus.

MIDI track outputs default to the first output in preferences.

Thnx for the info. 
That settles that then, I suppose.
Nevertheless -and not to put too fine a point on it- is it considered normal/acceptable that a midi output which channel is set to none still puts out midi? I'm quite sure that if an audio output set to none would still produce audio, this would not be tolerated. 

To be fair, a "None" for outputs would be exceptionally useful too (I find that a lot of old projects from when I had hardware synths usually point to silly things when I load them into CbB - and quite often, I don't have a MIDI interface switched on, so they all default to a soft-synth...sigh).