HOW TO EXPORT PROJECTS FILES TO MY COMPUTER SO I CAN USE THEM FOR A SOUND COPYWRITE FILE

lendel reynolds

I am new at this. I have written songs for over 35 years. Before I had the gift of writing we used the old reels to record on. I at one time was a computer tec. but everything  has changed over the years. I have copywritted  songs  by snail mail alone the 2000 error, Using the old mail in forms.  Many of my song were destroyed in Hurricane Charly in 2004; that was when my roof was ripped off. Recently after my last child was grown and moved away. I have gone back into my boxes of old song. I have never recorded the first one. I was ask by both Willy Nelson and John Anderson if I would let them hear my songs. I did not at that time. My life was not in order when they had asked.  I have written more song within the last few mounts. I was told about your new Cakewalk program. I have made a few recording as a trail. Not my best songs; waiting to see how it works out first. I want to use them to make sound recording for my Applications for sound copywrites. How do I download or export my projects to my computer so I can play them off line; also to be able to use them in an acceptable form, for a sound recording copywrite to the Library of congress?

There are a few things you need to do before you can export successfully:

1. Make sure all of you tracks are routed either to an intermediate buss, like drums, guitars etc
  2. Make sure all your intermediate busses are routed to your Master bus

Then you can simply select all (ctrl + a)

Then hit File > Export

There are several options in the dialog that need setting appropriately as well as choose where the export goes on your pc

If you are the sole author of multiple songs, you will likely want to take advantage of the relatively new option of "Group Applications for Unpublished Works" (GRUW).  That will allow you to copyright up to 10 individual songs for a single filing fee.  To use that option you must use the online (eCO) registration, and upload each song as a separate digital file. You can apply for both the composition (music and lyrics) and the recording rights at the same time, but be careful to be sure that you are doing so when you file. Most song writers are primarily interested in registering the composition, and the quality of the performance and recording is not an issue, they just want the convenience of not having to transcribe the music into standard notation.  The advantage of the GRUW, aside from the cost,  is that each song gets its own individual copyright, which makes it somewhat cleaner to license individual songs. If you want to copyright the actual recording of a group of songs that you have organized into an album, then you need to register as a collected work uploaded as a single file, and the assumption is that it will be released in that form.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Just remember, the process of registering with the copyright office has nothing to do with GETTING or OWNING the copyright, it's literally only registering it. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but you automatically are the copyright holder when you create it. And please stop spelling it "copywrite", it's the RIGHT to COPY thus COPYRIGHT. This world is confusing enough without these common misspellings!

R

• Like 1