Editing problem using staff view

Max Tucker

While in staff view, I'm unable to insert notes correctly.  For example, if I want to add a quarter note on the 3rd beat, the staff view places the note on the first beat.  It refuses to let me move it.  After many failed attempts, I then opened my project in an old version of "Music Creator" (a legacy Cakewalk product), and was able to make the edits in staff view using that old product.   Is there a fix to this staff view issue in the new Cakewalk?

Just FYI, but another way to enter notes in staff view is to use step record. This presumes you have a keyboard, of course. you can also use regular record, if you are good enough with a keyboard (I'm not so I use step-record most of the time).

If you are just doing spot work, entering by hand is easiest. but if doing long sequences, step-record does come in handy. you can adjust velocity and timing of course afterward.

I don't recall having your problem when I use staff view. I don't even bother to set snap in staff view. I'll have to look into this next time I'm using Cakewalk.

Thanks for the comments so far.  When I go into the "Snap to Grid" menu in Preferences, I get an option called "Snap Interval" which ranges from Light to Extreme.  It also has a "magnetic test" and Landmarks.   I've tested these back and forth, but still can't solve problem.  Also I don't see a place to select or unselect "Whole or Measure".

29 minutes ago, Max Tucker said:

Thanks for the comments so far.  When I go into the "Snap to Grid" menu in Preferences, I get an option called "Snap Interval" which ranges from Light to Extreme.  It also has a "magnetic test" and Landmarks.   I've tested these back and forth, but still can't solve problem.  Also I don't see a place to select or unselect "Whole or Measure".

snap resolution setting.png