Minor Issue with RME drivers

Cristiano Sadun

Hi,

just a heads up - it's not a big deal and the workaround is obvious and easy, but when changing the buffer size on the RME drivers (v 4.29) to small buffers, (64, 32) Windows gets  a BSOD if Cakewalk is open. No problems in changing it without the DAW open, so the obvious workaround is to close CW before changing the ASIO buffer. It also doesn't seem to be an issue if the buffers are large (from 256 up I seem to remember).

It's probably as much an issue with the RME driver as with CW but I haven't noticed happening with other applications open, so just thought of mentioning it.

• Sad 1

On 2/20/2021 at 11:13 AM, Cristiano Sadun said:

Hi,

just a heads up - it's not a big deal and the workaround is obvious and easy, but when changing the buffer size on the RME drivers (v 4.29) to small buffers, (64, 32) Windows gets  a BSOD if Cakewalk is open. No problems in changing it without the DAW open, so the obvious workaround is to close CW before changing the ASIO buffer. It also doesn't seem to be an issue if the buffers are large (from 256 up I seem to remember).

It's probably as much an issue with the RME driver as with CW but I haven't noticed happening with other applications open, so just thought of mentioning it.

Is this a new problem starting with the RME driver v4.29?

I have in 10 years never had Cakewalk crashes with my RME HDSPE AIO card when changing ASIO buffer sizes, including 64 and 32 samples. I'm currently on RME driver v4.28 with Cakewalk 2020.11.

Also, I am using the RME Hammerfall DSP settings Window. Didn't newer versions (unsure which) of Cakewalk have some changes with regards to this, like support for changing ASIO buffers within Cakewalk? Maybe that causes issues? Or what if you go back to v4.28 for RME?

EDIT

Cakewalk 2019.11 had the changes below with regards to ASIO. (I can't change the buffer size for my RME card from within Cakewalk, so I suppose RME isn't "supported"?)

ASIO latency can be set from the Preferences dialog box. For supported audio devices, the latency slider in Preferences > Audio - Driver Settings can now be used to change the audio buffer size without the need to open the manufacturer’s ASIO panel.

StopEngineOnASIOPanelOpen Aud.ini variable. A few ASIO devices require that the host should not use the device while making changes to device settings. Some devices may display an error or gray out the controls in the ASIO panel while others may silently ignore changes. In prior versions of Cakewalk, the only solution was to exit the app for such devices. In version 2019.11, you can set the StopEngineOnPanelOpen variable in Edit > Preferences > Audio - Configuration File. Setting it to True will automatically stop and release the ASIO interface, allowing you to change settings in Cakewalk.

Edited by GreenLight
Added ASIO info for Cakewalk 2019.11

• 2 weeks later...