Articulation Map Issue

Hey all, this is my first entry in the forum.  I have been a Cakewalk user for as long as Cakewalk has been in business.  Anyway, I am trying out the new articulation map feature in Cakewalk by Bandlab and I like it.  One issue that I have found ( I think) is that the map will not let me create multiple keyswitches from my vst instrument.  I am using East West play engine in Cakewalk.  It works fine when all I want is one instrument.  In the play engine there are multiple articulation keyswitch sets for one instrument. For example, the Hollywood Pop Brass has a short-sus ks and then an effects ks.  I am trying to figure out how or if I can load both ks sets into one map so I can just use one track in Cakewalk to control both ks sets.  I know in the Play plug-in I can load both instruments and use separate midi channels.  But Cakewalk doesn't seem to play multiple midi channels.  Any of you who use EW sounds have an idea how to make this work or if it can work.  There are other daws that do this just fine.  But I can't seem to get Cakewalk to do it.  Any info appreciated.  Thanks

Hi, Daniel...

I am about to start up an orchestral project with EWHO.  I'm doing Barber's First Essay for Orchestra. 

I have created my own template  for EWHO that switch articulations by changing the MIDI channel of the track output.  So... when I insert a new articulation in the articulation lane it is actually changing the MIDI channel output of the track to the Play instance.

The KS patches in EWHO work by sending a note number and they work great but the library KS patches don't expose much of the library.  So, I was completely thrilled to learn that Articulation Maps support channel switching.  (Thanks to Nico in the FB group Virtual Orchestration.  Also you should consider joining the Cakewalk/Sonar User Group). 

The attached photo shows how to set up an articulation for a multi-patch instrument in EWHO.  You create the instrument by loading all the patches you want to use into an instance of Play, then create an articulation entry for each articulation as shown.  You need an entry for both Note and CC so your controllers are directed to the same MIDI channel as the note.    So the 1-16 setting for "In" will take any input and output it on channel 2 (for the spiccato articulation shown). 

It's a bit of work to enter these.  Also, since the library is so complete it presents a lot of choices and you might have to edit your patch list and articulation maps for specific projects.

I hope this helps. I'll be around the studio today so post any questions.

Also... just in case you don't know it already, make sure you understand how the Mod Wheel works with this library because you might save yourself hours of frustration.  🙂

EWHO articulation maps.png

EWHO VLN1 patch.png