Recorded vocals are ahead of the instrument tracks

tdehan

16 hours ago, John Vere said:

Looks good in your screen shot. That info is totally the same more or less as all 3 of my interfaces. 

From what you just said I’m thinking you are recording with

your effects turned on. This can cause the sync issues for sure. Especially look ahead effects. I always bypass my effects when tracking audio and midi 

Yes, I am recording the vocal track with effects turned on for the track.  This has never caused an issue prior and I am using the same effects I always use on my vocals.  I will try it with the effects turned off.

1 hour ago, tdehan said:

Everything is the same except I am using a different mic for the vocal track.  Perhaps I should try my other mic that I typically use for vocals.  However, I have used this particular mic to record my wife's vocals with no issue before.

Is the different mic USB or is it also going into the same interface?

Ok, I just tried it again with the same mic and no effects.  Same thing happens.  When I am recording everything sounds just fine.  Upon playback the vocal track is ahead of the instrument tracks.  I need to nudge the focal track to the right 5 increments to sync up.  Weird!

New Issue:!!

I just received my new Focusrite Scarlett 212 3rd Gen.  Hooked it up to my PC to see if perhaps the issue I'm having above might be taken care of.  Funny thing... I can't even get any sound out of the Focusrite!  What should I be selecting in Drive Mode for this thing?  I've tried ASIO, WDM/KS, WASAPI Exclusive and Shared and MME.  I get no audio out of my headphones attached to the new unit.  Windows recognizes the new unit just fine.  This is getting maddening!

I got it working.  With both my Presonus and Behringer interfaces I've been using a short 3 foot USB extension cable to plug into in order to reach the back of my PC.  Apparently the Focusrite does not like that.  The USB cable with the Focusrite is very short and apparently needs to be plugged in directly without a USB extension cable.  So, that issue is solved.

Regarding the main issue of this post I've just resigned my self to nudging the vocal track to the right 5 increments in order to line it up.  Will see what happens with my next project.

Thanks for all the help everyone.  It certainly is a mystery.

No, it's not the microphone. Still not sure what it is, but we can be fairly certain it's not that.

USB cable does make sense, though. Cheap cables, broken cables, cable extenders, all can cause data corruption/loss. That could, I suppose, cause latency that the driver and DAW would know nothing about.

You need to create a “sync” project. Do a loop back test and see if the Presonus drivers are “syncing” with Cake. Rest assured this is a driver thing. Cake relies on the driver. That’s why it’s always “drivers, drivers, drivers”. IF the new project is in sync, your project is corrupt. The only way to fix that is create a new project. IF the sync project is “off” you’ll have to use the “manual” offset. Back when we relied on the WDM drivers you had to set the offset manually. There’s an epic thread on the old forum dedicated to just that. 
HTH

t

i found on one of my USB interfaces, that it liked the longer older USB (steel braid shielded, heavy duty) over the short one supplied with it. we had someone here in the past 6 months who experienced an issue with their USB cable being old and too long (...no jokes please...) and replacing it with the newer heavier one "fixed" the problem. i'm guessing that as these devices get faster and more powerful (higher current levels for example in USB3) that the capacitance and induction of the wiring etc can impact it's sensitivity to EMI and race conditions (...the electronic kind...).

On 2/24/2021 at 6:22 AM, DeeringAmps said:

You need to create a “sync” project. Do a loop back test and see if the Presonus drivers are “syncing” with Cake. Rest assured this is a driver thing. Cake relies on the driver. That’s why it’s always “drivers, drivers, drivers”. IF the new project is in sync, your project is corrupt. The only way to fix that is create a new project. IF the sync project is “off” you’ll have to use the “manual” offset. Back when we relied on the WDM drivers you had to set the offset manually. There’s an epic thread on the old forum dedicated to just that. 
HTH

t

Unfortunately I have no idea what you are referring to or even how to proceed with it.

Remember in my first reply I said you need to watch my Video? This explains about loopback testing.

But my guess is this issue will not return and was just yet another weirdness specific to one project. That seems to happen from time to time. The solution is to copy the old project to a new one. This is a complicated task involving "save as" bouncing tracks etc but it can be done. Hmm I see my next video taking shape!