Best DAW deal, now promoted by Warren Huart

Bapu

32 minutes ago, craigb said:

My last house had a nice basement (the only time I have ever had one), so I turned it into the best, small English pub-style bar in the area!

DuckAndCover02.jpg

(The guy at the dartboard is prior-World Champion Bob Anderson!  The other guy ran a dart league about 150 miles away and lost a lot of money to me and Bob that night.  LOL! 😜)

I see from the winnings  you stocked up your liquor supply  🤑

Heh, you're only seeing part of it!   The house rule was drinks were free, so don't bring anything over (a case of cheap beer would have never been touched).  Instead, there was a tip box on the wall (see below) and anything put into it went directly into buying more (and mostly new types of) booze or the occasional food delivery (I ran a few blind draw tournaments).  Because even the nice micro-brew beer on tap (normally around $6 a pint at a bar) only costs about 50 cents a glass, I ended up with over 120 types of liquor!  Fun times.  🙂

DuckAndCover25.jpg

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

On 2/19/2021 at 7:21 PM, Tezza said:

I don't mind Warren Huart, he always makes me feel so marvellous. For some reason he always reminds me of Elvis Presley, I don't know why, he doesn't look like him and the accents wrong but whenever I am watching his videos there just seems to be something Elvisy about him.

It's a big plug for Cakewalk though if he's churning out a video about it.

I can definitely see that. It's a combination of his hair, which is a bit reminiscent of a 50s style Elvis had during that era along with his pork chop sideburns, an iconic Elvis trait. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, craigb said:

Heh, you're only seeing part of it!   The house rule was drinks were free, so don't bring anything over (a case of cheap beer would have never been touched).  Instead, there was a tip box on the wall (see below) and anything put into it went directly into buying more (and mostly new types of) booze or the occasional food delivery (I ran a few blind draw tournaments).  Because even the nice micro-brew beer on tap (normally around $6 a pint at a bar) only costs about 50 cents a glass, I ended up with over 120 types of liquor!  Fun times.  🙂

DuckAndCover25.jpg

If you were to invite me over you would have a couple of less bottles of booze. Not that I drink too much. Well, not that I Didn't. But because your dart board is too damn close to the booze.

• Haha 2

On 2/19/2021 at 3:24 PM, cclarry said:

It is indeed the best FREE DAW...however those of us who had Platinum really
lost about $500 on the deal...for our Lifetime updates...but I guess, in a roundabout
kind of way, we're still getting those updates!  Perspective!

It was bitter sweet for sure! I was so glad when BandLab bought it!

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 8:21 PM, Tezza said:

It's a big plug for Cakewalk though if he's churning out a video about it.

He told me he saw that a lot of people in the community are using it and was wanting to help in some way! I hope it will get more people on board, whether they find bugs or not. After all, some people with fresh perspective might eventually come up with the next best idea for improvement as well!

• Like 6

On 2/20/2021 at 7:15 PM, Starship Krupa said:

Not that I'd discourage Robert McClellan or anyone else for putting together commercial courses. He must believe that he has put together something that people can't get from the other tutorials, so more power to him and his efforts.

Thanks man! A lot of the information in my course is geared toward achieving a finished mix quickly that you can be proud of. I don’t consider myself a guru or anything, I just love the software and after 15 years I can navigate my way around it quickly. My main desire was to help others and in the process get Cakewalk the publicity it deserves. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 2/19/2021 at 3:35 PM, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Which he's never done a video about since the introduction of it, but hey! We have a course to sell here!

When I interviewed Warren some time ago on my channel we talked off camera for quite some time about it and he was intrigued as he’d never heard of it. I asked for a moment of his time to give him a quick tour via screen sharing and he was blown away!

His first question was “Why aren’t more people talking about this?!”

I told him of the sorter history and reassured him that regardless of the past there was still a strong community of Cakewalk users and that it now has full support again!

Thats when he told me that several in the community had been talking about it but it slipped under his radar as it isn’t widely used or spoken of daily. It was then that we discussed doing a course for his community. 

Even though there aren’t as many that use it in the PLAP Academy (of which I am a Lifetime Member) he still took time out of his crazy schedule to try and help. I assure you Warren is truly a gentleman and an excellent mentor. If he makes some money off of the course in return for his countless hours of free training, I am completely fine with it.

• Like 6

Well hello Robert.

It's intrigued me very much to read about the history of Cakewalk, Inc.'s various mergers and acquisitions over the years. My stepfather was CEO at a couple of leisure product companies in my childhood, so I heard him talk about that stuff over the years.

Then as an adult I toiled in the software industry, including a few shrink wrap houses like Adobe, prior to and during the advent of the www as a game-changer.

My thesis has always been that as a freeware corporate giveaway, the quality of Cakewalk is likely to increase. This is because development will be driven by the developers' impulse to please their own needs (one of which is to do a job they can be proud of) and those of the user community rather than the survival need to acquire new licensees. I was called a dreamer on the old forum and this one, and well, I'm so happy to be able to say "neener-neener." There were (and still are) those who insist that the whole scheme is doomed and that there is no possible way to maintain high-quality software without charging people to use it. They'll post these assertions using Firefox, Chrome, and Edge, and apparently have never been to a trade show where companies are giving away tote bags or guitar picks with their logos on them. Just gotta think of Cakewalk now being the promotional item rather than the thing being promoted.

I've seen people endlessly confounded when after almost a year, the developers have been working their butts off to ship the latest major version, and it finally ships. Yet it still carries all these bugs and design annoyances and oversights that people have been complaining about since 2 versions earlier. I've been both on the selling side and the buying side. The reason is simple: because fixing bugs and small featues doesn't bring in new licensees and upgraders. Fixing bugs costs money, adding flashy features makes money. It's why so many companies would love people to subscribe to their software as a service. With that model, if you continue to ship buggy crap, you open yourself to loss of subscribers due to people questioning that $30 per month bill, with competitors lining up to eat your lunch, and you can also afford to attract new users at a reasonable rate of uptake because you have a steady stream of cash coming in. Rather than depending on huge adoption right after the magazine reviews of the new features (which never mention bugs) are published.

I've seen others wondering what effect Cakewalk's free license scheme is going to have on the DAW market. Will it take out a smaller program or two that someone might have used to get started? On that topic, I have no idea. Maybe there is less room for the Mixcrafts and Mu Studios of the world. I dunno.

What I haven't given much thought to is the effect it might have on people who teach and produce instructional materials, like Warren and Robert. Did the companies that were doing this before Gibson binned Cakewalk Inc. suffer? Probably? Will there eventually be an uptick, or are we already seeing one? 3 years later, there are 4 YouTubers I know of who are publishing regular tutorials, which means there are probably more. Are colleges showing interest? Or do they still pretend that what you must do is learn Pro Tools prior to moving to L.A. to "make it" in the recording industry (iLok in hand)? Things will take longer than with payware programs due to there being nobody paid to go around and advocate for it.

Always fun to watch the story unfold....

• Like 5