Zoom to Fit Data in Piano Roll

Starship Krupa

I spend way too much time dragging the scroll bars around in the Piano Roll just trying to find the notes I want to edit.

It would be great to have a command that would adjust the horizontal and vertical zoom so that all the MIDI note information of the currently selected track were visible (or at least centered) in the window. We have a couple of commands in the Track View that work great for this, I'd like to have something similar for the Piano Roll.

(I know that there is already a command in the PRV menu named "Fit MIDI content." The times I tried it, it seemed to function similarly to the shuffling algorithm in Minesweeper. I don't mind if this command stays for backward compatibility, although I seldom have use for it myself.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

13 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

I spend way too much time dragging the scroll bars around in the Piano Roll just trying to find the notes I want to edit.

It would be great to have a command that would adjust the horizontal and vertical zoom so that all the MIDI note information of the currently selected track were visible (or at least centered) in the window. We have a couple of commands in the Track View that work great for this, I'd like to have something similar for the Piano Roll.

(I know that there is already a command in the PRV menu named "Fit MIDI content." The times I tried it, it seemed to function similarly to the shuffling algorithm in Minesweeper. I don't mind if this command stays for backward compatibility, although I seldom have use for it myself.)

Just a question: 

How does the Ctrl+⬅➡ directional keys work on the PC keyboard for you for that? 

36 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Indeed.

This has been one of my most sought after features for many years; a command in the PRV that makes it easy to quickly zoom in all MIDI content. As for the existing "Fit MIDI content" menu command, it only works vertically. When it works, that is.  Consistency has unfortunately never been a particularly prominent feature of SONAR and CbB, but it sure would be nice if the same shortcut keys (F and Shift+F) would perform the same fit operation in both Track View and Piano Roll View.

This has been requested a number times both in the old and in the current forum, but it just doesn’t seem to happen. Below is one of those feature requests from almost five years ago.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3493927

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Just a question: 

How does the Ctrl+⬅➡ directional keys work on the PC keyboard for you for that? 

Works great for zooming in and out horizontally. It doesn't help when the data is down at the bottom or up at the top.

I'm looking for a command that centers the data vertically and horizontally.

9 hours ago, Canopus said:

As for the existing "Fit MIDI content" menu command, it only works vertically.

Ah, so that's it. Explains why when I have a couple of empty measures at the beginning of the project, I don't see any notes. Well, might be useful now that I know what it does. I'm used to using it, then still seeing nothing. Executing that, then using Ctrl+⬅➡ as Will suggests might speed things up, at least it's a workflow rather than a random hunt with the scroll bars.

Los panaderos put a "fit horizontally" command (Ctrl+Alt+F) in the Track View that I requested on the old forum 3 years ago, so maybe they're in the mood for another similar convenience feature.

4 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Works great for zooming in and out horizontally. It doesn't help when the data is down at the bottom or up at the top.

I'm looking for a command that centers the data vertically and horizontally.

Ah, so that's it. Explains why when I have a couple of empty measures at the beginning of the project, I don't see any notes. Well, might be useful now that I know what it does. I'm used to using it, then still seeing nothing. Executing that, then using Ctrl+⬅➡ as Will suggests might speed things up, at least it's a workflow rather than a random hunt with the scroll bars.

Los panaderos put a "fit horizontally" command (Ctrl+Alt+F) in the Track View that I requested on the old forum 3 years ago, so maybe they're in the mood for another similar convenience feature.

You can also use Ctrl ⬆OR⬇ in conjunction with the ⬅➡ Until a dedicated command key get's implemented.

A center command key would be great though. For now, this is the fastest workaround for me to navigate in the PRV and had been so for a few years. 

That scrolling bar movement is too aggressive when zoomed in - Urgh! I sometimes gets lost in my own work when I scroll with the bar. It needs to get smoother. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

That's one of the issues, I think, the controls are too coarse when we're looking for basically dots on a grid.

Yes but it would be big improvement to zoom memory of prv and also keys of piano roll occopies smaller space by default : ) Also some zoom memory for piano roll posible save zoom presets

On 2/19/2021 at 6:54 AM, Starship Krupa said:

You know I’m on board for all zoom additions. My one biggest issue since the silverlight framework was added.

I spend far too much time fiddling with zoom issues.

some of this got much more fidgety at that time. If at least lasso zoom consistently gave us what we select...

sorry, i digress.

5 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Alt-MouseWheel works great for me in the PRV and the Track View, but I guess your experience may vary depending on how you've set the Mouse Wheel Zoom Options.

Ugh, that's another can of worms, Mouse Wheel Zoom is so broken. It's supposed to allow the user to zoom vertically, too.

The only way it works is for zooming horizontally, and then only if Simultaneous Horizontal and Vertical Zoom is checked.

Thanks for reminding me about setting the zoom factor. Mine was set too fast. To see what I mean about broken, for instance try setting your horizontal zoom factor to 1.000 and then mouse wheel zooming. Oops.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Ugh, that's another can of worms, Mouse Wheel Zoom is so broken. It's supposed to allow the user to zoom vertically, too.

See the thing is, cakewalk is not up to standard with windows 10 in return hindering it unstable. Cakewalks memory on functionalities are still left with Windows 2000 / XP.

Microsoft introduced a whole new world to applications with Vista and most software adapted to this, but we can't blame the current company for this. 

PLEASE! I'm not stepping on toes here! ✌ 

The mousewheel functionality currently being broken has nothing to do with Windows versions. It's right there in the manual, on the page that I linked to, and I've gotten confirmation from veteran users that it once worked as designed (as described in the documentation), then broke fairly recently in the fossil record.

On 2/21/2021 at 6:38 AM, Will_Kaydo said:

See the thing is, cakewalk is not up to standard with windows 10 in return hindering it unstable. Cakewalks memory on functionalities are still left with Windows 2000 / XP.

Microsoft introduced a whole new world to applications with Vista and most software adapted to this, but we can't blame the current company for this. 

PLEASE! I'm not stepping on toes here! ✌ 

What exactly do you mean by this?  Real examples please.

My Suggestion .....

Zoom Horizontally
    Zoom In or Out Click and drag vertically in the Arrange or Edit view timeline.
    Zoom In or Out Position cursor in Arrange or Edit timeline and move mouse scroll wheel.

Zoom Vertically
    Zoom In (vertically)
    Zoom Out (vertically)
    Zoom In or Out

Other Zoom Commands
    Zoom to Loop Press
    Zoom to Selection Toggle (horizontally and vertically) Press
    Zoom to Selection Toggle (horizontally)
    Zoom by Selecting Hold
    Zoom Full Press

Everything with Mouse or Hotkeys.

Edited by Roland-Music