Rachael

mark skinner

Here's a lost song I recently found on an old flash drive . Stereo mix so everything is baked in. I had a nice time doing it. With the exception of some TTS percussive stuff , everything came from a single pass on a Takamine acoustic into a zoom rack mount effects unit . I ended up with a corrupt patch on the unit that didn't want to decay , so I took advantage of it. It was pretty easy to get a "Blade Runner" feel with the synth sounds and overtones , all with the guitar. Any suggestions on the final mastering would be great . Thanks    mark      https://soundcloud.com/user-810058643/rachael

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 2

@David Sprouse Rachael is an android who thought she was human from the original Blade Runner movie. Even if you're not a syfy fan , it's well worth watching for the music score. This track would make more since knowing the Blade Runner feel. @Wookiee I've already done the pre mastering. That's what I was referring to for suggestions. You wouldn't want to hear the original raw track. The pulsing bass arp would be cool, but the main point of this was to see what I could get out of a single guitar track. @jack c. I'll try a touch of the high pass. Thanks ..  mark

Mark, very interesting to listen to . . . so, playing live guitar into an efx box is how you got this sound ? It really sounds like guitar with added synth ambience, some incredible side effects from your process here. Musically, you've stated a melody, so it all works well, and washes out with the effect echoes playing a chord background.

I really appreciate the experimentation here !  Yes, a few bits where the decay abruptly cuts off,  but nothing to worry about, the overall feeling of the piece still shines through.

• Like 1

Love that movie.

Excellent piece and a good save! Your piece evokes it, to an extent. Maybe if dystopian Los Angeles got moved a little closer to the Mississippi Delta . :)

I think I'd agree, maybe not quite hpf but cut a db or two from wherever your bass is peaking?

It's got a super cool vibe and spaciousness that you could add more washy things to, though that might not be your target.

"I want . . . more . . . life . . . f%%%%r!"

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mark skinner said:

I've already done the pre mastering

I was aware I was just making a suggestion as to what I would do if it was my track. 

I like the track as is I just thought that sense of menace from the bass arp might have added a tad more tension.  It was only a furry idea it is your track and I would not push anyone to do anything to a track they did not want.

• Like 1

Hello , Thanks for the listen and suggestions. I made some eq changes smoothing out the bass and lowered some of the high mids reducing some of the piercing freq's. Also added a little plate reverb giving the TTS stuff a little reverb tail.  I "think" it's a little better.  Thanks ...  mark

• 2 weeks later...