Upcoming NVIDIA RTX 3060 purposely cripples mining performance

abacab

I only deal with GOG now as far as acquiring games. I have a second PC with the Steam, Origin (EA), and Ubisoft game clients available if I need to connect online to use any games that were acquired elsewhere, such through Humble Bundle or other online deals.

But I prefer GOG's methods best going forward, and I have since replaced a few Steam game editions with GOG versions when available and affordable.

56 minutes ago, abacab said:

I only deal with GOG now as far as acquiring games. I have a second PC with the Steam, Origin (EA), and Ubisoft game clients available if I need to connect online to use any games that were acquired elsewhere, such through Humble Bundle or other online deals.

But I prefer GOG's methods best going forward, and I have since replaced a few Steam game editions with GOG versions when available and affordable.

Are you sure you're not accaabbaac? 🤔

😜

On 2/24/2021 at 6:57 PM, bitflipper said:

Sadly, I've never been able to get my old DOS games to work properly within a modern command prompt. I'd love to see Redneck Rampage or Shadow Warrior again.

Although I have not tried them myself: Shadow Warrior is free to play on Steam and GOG; and Redneck Rampage is £6.99 on Steam and £7.49 on GOG.

Steam  and GOG also have Shadow Warrior Redux with expansion packs and improved graphics for £6.99.

People have also been working on high resolution conversions for both of these games. See here for Shadow Warrior: https://forums.duke4.net/topic/3412-shadow-warrior-high-resolution-pack/. I'm not sure how far they got. Or Google "Shadow Warrior HRP".

The only game I ever play is Duke Nukem 3D HRP mostly using the Duke Plus mod, with my own custom soundtrack.

Edited by Wibbles
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

no trouble here with those? installed via steam on this very win10 lappy... sorry you're having trouble with them

That's great to hear. I wish I had a video card. I would give it a try.

The reason I haven't taken the plunge is because there are entire websites dedicated to the topic of how to make them run under Win 10 and it's a nightmare and I suffered enough trying to get their garbage to run on PS3. The problems installing and running those games on current hardware and Windows is legendary as with all of Bethesda's problems. They're getting sued right now for the Fallout 4 Season Pass screw job they gave people. They clearly said the Season Pass provides ALL future DLC content for Fallout 4. So they changed the name of what they called DLC to The Creation Club and started charging people, a lot.

Anyway I'm glad it just worked for you. I guess Todd Howard was right when he famously said, "It just works.". 😂

Hey, on Saturday I bought a GTX 550 Ti to replace the Quadro FX! On Craig's List! Paid $20! 🤦‍♂️

Well, the most taxing things I do on the system are Cakewalk and Vegas Pro (and other video editors), so I figured that for $20 the extra CUDA cores and DDR5 memory would help perk things up.

Gamers are not sucking hind teat when it comes to being served in the GPU market. That honor goes to those of us who use our computers for higher end 2-D graphics apps. I haven't FPS gamed since Quake Arena, last night I tried out SVET (a Myst-like post-apocalypse walkaround) and it ran great, but it's half a dozen years old and doesn't have a lot of changing imagery.

BTW, @craigb, when Quake first dropped, before Internet game servers were a thing I used to have what are now known as LAN parties after work (which is now known as "still being at work") in my lab at Macromedia (pre-Adobe). My boss wouldn't let us put a server on the company LAN, so I cobbled the setup together out of castoffs. I ran the server in headless mode on a 386 Toshiba Satellite I found in a box somewhere in. Then y'all started up the online servers and because we had a T1 and work and I only had ISDN at home, I'd crawl home from work at 11:30 with bloodshot eyes from playing capture the flag Quake for 5 straight hours. "N2O's Gas House" rings a bell, as does "N2O." Pertinent to the thread, my Quake handle was "Gandhi," (later "JonBenet Jovi"). I still have my Logitech Gaming mouse, the one shaped like an animal foot. You and members of your clan probably slaughtered me a time or two. Do you remember that West Coast clan that had Hello-Kitty-esque avatars? Those guys were ferociously effective. I especially miss playing Quake capture the flag (or "capture the Scrag," in one server mod)

Due to the dearth of information regarding 2-D performance specs, mostly I've gathered is that more and faster memory is good, and more CUDA cores will make rendering and encoding go faster. All the graphics card information out there is SO game-centric it drives me batty. If you ask somewhere like here or the equivalent NLE forum, you'll be told "just about any nVidia or even your onboard Intel will be more than enough." On nVidia's site, all they will say is to get a Quadro. Sure, I totally would love to buy your driver-crippled DisplayPort-only gaming card for 5X the price of the equivalent non-Quadro.

It just ain't true. I ran with the onboard Intel after I determined that Mixcraft and my AMD 5770 were not playing nicely with each other and if I played a full-screen movie, closed it, then switched back to Cakewalk, I'd briefly see white boxes in Console View. I stopped getting that once the FX 580 arrived.

The only time Mr. Dell Optiplex seems to suffer is when I have a video preview running alongside Vegas, Cakewalk, or Mixcraft's tracks views. I can't run it at larger sizes without getting stutters in the playback, so I'm hoping that the GTX will either help or at least not hurt with that. $20 worth, anyway. As y'all say, anything newer than that is insanely expensive for a used computer part.

15 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

ah those were the days... my quake nick was "an old lady" so it would hilariously say "YorGoinToDie was fragged by an old lady"

That's hot. "BringerOfPain was killed by Gandhi" freaked a few people out.

I suspect that 30-somethings like I was at the time were a higher percentage of Internet players at first, because we could play from work via T1's and nailed-up ISDN and whatnot. There wasn't broadband at home for kids to use. We were a bunch of underground BBS denizens (I worked with and was friends with some of the founders of DEFCON) and would pitilessly mock schoolyard bravado wherever we found it.

It was a strategy: rile someone, get 'em typing and then frag 'em into little pieces. Sigh. Good times indeed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 3:43 PM, Shane_B. said:

The Winkey plus semicolon trick works though.

Winkey plus period does the same thing. 😜👍
Handy thing when emailing or using various chat systems at work.  Which begs the question why does any company need to support multiple chat platforms for internal communications (ms teams, yammer,  something else I can remember the name of and Skype which they've just removed)?

On 2/19/2021 at 12:23 AM, craigb said:

Yeah, my PC is picking a bad time to be having video card issues!  (An NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050.)  It's old, getting streaks and going blank sometimes.  Time for a new card, but there's about as much inventory as I have extra cash to buy something with! 😕

Wow! I still have a 9800GT still going.  I've never had a video card die but only the fans on a unit.

On 3/31/2021 at 5:52 AM, Rudransh said:

Fun Fact : Gamers hates miners

I'm starting to dislike developers.  Too much bloat and video cards get outdated because of their shoddy development. Many games are over 100GB,  Most games have a 1TB OS drives these days.   Few allow quick saves which means they demand more of your time.   Witcher 3 is one of the best games because it doesn't demand boutique hardware and has quick saves.  Some games with checkpoints annoy you with redundancy. 

39 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

...Few allow quick saves which means they demand more of your time. 

That one really annoys me too.  I hate the games where you have to do an entire "thing" before it autosaves at a checkpoint.  I'm a big fan of quick-saving just for the fun of trying something stupid knowing I can do a quick-reload once it fails. 🙂

1 hour ago, Paul Young said:

Wow! I still have a 9800GT still going.  I've never had a video card die but only the fans on a unit.

I just landed a new full-time IT job, so new hardware is finally on the horizon but, the more I look into things, it appears that the issues may lie with the motherboard and chipset.  I get sporadic issues with USB, disk access and video.  The new company gets deep discounts on Dell equipment, so I may just try the 1050 with a new box and my current hard drives before going crazy with the Cheez Whiz. 

1 hour ago, Paul Young said:

I still have a Windows 7 box for games running a GTX 950 GPU. I like older games (like 5-10 years old) that run really well on this older hardware. Got a good deal on the GPU about 5 years ago.

I always let my computers idle to sleep when I'm not actually using them. I'm sure that adds to the lifetime of fans, as well as lessens the general wear and tear.

Edited by abacab

• 3 weeks later...

I still like to do Folding@Home, but my old GTX 980s are just getting used for day-to-day computing.  F@H sits idle.  Sorry, Cancer and Parkinson's, you'll just have to wait!

This is the problem.  For most of us, we just want good GPUs.  But then, there's that "second use" for GPUs that increase the demand for them.  It could be Boinc, it could be F@H, or it could be the latest shiny "somethingCoin".

I'd rather let supply and demand work itself out, because I don't think anybody is qualified to tell any of us that our rendering or helping in the search to cure cancer is not important to society.  And that's why I won't tell anybody else that their *Coin work is any less important to humanity.  None of us has the right to pass that kind of judgment.

So right now there's a run on cards and that's just the way it's gonna be.  I know it's painful, because right now the fastest way to make a buck is to buy and sell the cards at inflated prices.  Making more cards or offering competitor cards is something that will require investment of time, money, and legal capital.  And that's even before the first wafer is foundried.

But in six months, all those shiny new cards could be collecting dust amidst a price crash, with all those Ebay deal-makers losing their shorts in a huge market crash.  This is probably a very good reason that nobody is willing to invest billions on new fab designs, plants, or equipment in the current climate.  Would YOU be the one to open a new foundary, only to have the US Congress step in and throw its political obesity all over the market, or the US President, with a scribble of his Executive Order pen, possibly ruining your and your stakeholders' investment in the process?  No, of course not.

These are the things currently hurting competition from developing.  But maybe even in the face of this, we'll still see in a year or two, more GPU chipmakers than just AMD and Nvidia.  I prefer to remain optimistic that we could one day see the next competitor to CUDA, just in the same way that Maxtor and Seagate had to deal with SSD technology and in the same way that Intel is currently getting the crap scared (kicked?) out of them by Apple's new M1 chip that does everything just as fast with less heat than the Intel part can do.

Or maybe not.  Because politics, fear, and jealousy.

The moral of the story:  Be ready for any eventuality.  For my part, I'll keep looking for deals on a couple of RTXs for my desktop machine, but for now the GTX 980s are holding up well.