Upcoming NVIDIA RTX 3060 purposely cripples mining performance

abacab

Well that's depressing. He mentioned the high amount of RAM and how games really wouldn't utilize it. Makes me wonder if it benefits miners in some way and that's who they are really targeting. I don't know.

I also see one of his benchmarks used Quake II. I've run that on far older equipment smooth as glass. I don't get it? This is why I got out of PC gaming. It got too confusing on what would play what properly and the cost and setup and keeping it running.

IRT Redneck Rampage, it's $10 bucks at https://www.gog.com/game/redneck_rampage_collection and supposedly runs on Windows 10. If I'm reading their forum correctly Gog bundles it with a version of DOSbox that has been tested and runs fine on Windows 10. It comes with all the add-on packs and a link to download the cuss pack.

Then explain to me why a new i5 6 core blows my i7 4 core 8 thread out of the water. (I know why. Just trying to be funny.) 😁

BTW/OT ... Do remember in another thread you were asking about the emoji's suddenly becoming very limited here on the forum? I installed the Brave secure browser today and it's happening to me now too in it but not in Chrome. The Winkey plus semicolon trick works though.

So far Brave has blocked 2,600 ad's and cookies and stopped 50MB of data from being sent. And I haven't been on much today at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shane_B. said:

So far Brave has blocked 2,600 ad's and cookies and stopped 50MB of data from being sent. And I haven't been on much today at all.

My home page says 371,592 trackers and ads blocked, 5.2 hours time saved.

But they could be just making that up. It's not like I've been keeping track.

A more useful metric would be how many hours I've wasted watching cat videos.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

1 hour ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Uh...Brave and Chrome are effectively the same browser. Same engine underneath.

I view them as twin brothers. One Good, one Evil. Everything runs better through Brave on my system. Especially streaming services like YouTube and Twitch. I've only been using Brave a few days now and here's what it's done so far so I'm happy . . . 

114875645_Screenshot2021-02-28104616.jpg.c4934f9c107cb1f6b642cca66775e209.jpg

99% of that is just from Twitch and I don't watch it that much. I can watch a stream for just 20 minutes or so and watch the adblock counter just keep ticking away. Hundreds a night. I really love some of the live music acts and there is one game streamer I really like too. She messes with some of the guys she randomly gets teamed up with in COD and scolds them for swearing and talking dirty. It's more entertaining to watch her for that then the actual game. Good clean fun which is a rarity these days. :)

2 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Uh...Brave and Chrome are effectively the same browser. Same engine underneath.

So's Microsoft Edge. It's not the underlying engine that's the problem, but rather the unnecessary crap Google piles on top of it. It's like buying a computer from Dell - it's all Windows underneath, but you're also gonna get a whole lot of garbage you didn't ask for, and which will take a nontrivial amount of effort to remove.

Come to think of it, all DAWs must be the same because they're all using the Microsoft C++ runtime library underneath! Well, OK, maybe not Logic. But you can see where this logic could take you...Archie comics and The Old Man and the Sea are the same because they're both based on the same underlying language. Elvis and Hendrix both played guitar. Hawaii and Alaska both have lots of volcanic mountains. Beer and Coca Cola are both 99% water. Gandhi and Freddie Mercury were both Indian. This is fun.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Come to think of it, all DAWs must be the same because they're all using the Microsoft C++ runtime library underneath! Well, OK, maybe not Logic. But you can see where this logic could take you...Archie comics and The Old Man and the Sea are the same because they're both based on the same underlying language. Elvis and Hendrix both played guitar. Hawaii and Alaska both have lots of volcanic mountains. Beer and Coca Cola are both 99% water. Gandhi and Freddie Mercury were both Indian. This is fun.

That's like saying all electric cars are the same because they run on batteries. Brave and Chrome are both built on top of the Webkit framework, which is not the only browser engine out there.

I uninstalled FF when I saw their official statement about people needing to be more than "de-platformed" and calling for more censorship if they don't agree with their (Mozilla's) beliefs. I can't link you to verification due to T.O.S. here, but it's out there if anyone chooses to search for it.

So I de-platformed them from my devices. If you choose to use and it works good for you (you as in whoever is reading this) then I'm happy for, more power to you.

See the difference in mindsets there.

1 hour ago, pwalpwal said:

that's listed in the steam store, so they must've done something to get it working?

Nope.

Steam did nothing to get it to run. Same with Fallout 3 and New Vegas. You basically get what you would get if you installed them from the original install discs. That's how it was the last time I looked at Steam. Maybe it's changed.

GOG does include 3rd party software to make it run but even then Fallout still needs tweaking. GOG's claim to fame is they legitimately sell you versions of games that you do not have to be online to use.

It's why I never used Steam in the first place. If you don't have a really good internet connection you're screwed. Only in the last couple months have I gotten high speed (cough cough) internet. The fastest I ever had up until a couple months ago was 3Mb/1.5Mb and I was paying the same for it as my current 30Mb/20Mb which is $130 monthly or $100 per month if I pay a year in advance. Plus I have to supply the router. I just saw a TV ad this morning. $49.99 a month for a Gb fiber connection, if you are in or near the city.

If you want to live out in the country now it's going to cost you. It's how they are backdooring that proposition to force people in to city's.

R.R. and Fallout 3 don't work on Windows 10 without a 3rd party utility for R.R. and cracking Fallout 3. Fallout New Vegas will but it's difficult. Fallout 3 uses a verification method that is no longer supported. I just don't see how Steam can sell something you can't install. GOG legally disables that in Fallout 3 and provides you with the 3rd party stuff you need to run R.R. and all the other games they sell so you don't have to hack it yourself. I don't like Steam or GOG, but to me GOG is the lesser of two evils because you don't have to be online. I get having to go online to activate something but being forced to download 10's and sometimes 100's of Gig's of data is not right, IMO. I downloaded COD Warzone and it made me get the entire full game. Over 100Gb. After I did it said I could uninstall the retail version and just keep Warzone to save HDD space. Sweet. Thanks Raven.