Migrating Program Files

twanghang

Question

My C:\ drive is maxed out on storage and I can't download some new VST3 plugins.

1) If I migrated them to another drive where I have plenty of room, would SONAR be able to locate them or would I have to point SONAR to the new location?

2) If I don't move them and just start downloading the new VST3 files to the other drive, would SONAR know how to find the appropriate files on each of the drives?

Thank you!

7 answers to this question

First. Is there any way to clean up your C drive. It’s not good to have it over a certain amount like 80% or less. How big is it? 
As far as VST’s go each install is different most allow you to set pathways. Best to keep the main files on C drive and point library to a data drive. 
it might be you have installed large libraries already and this is what might be hogging up you C drive. 
But to answer the question yes many people put VST’s and libraries on other drives. 

Plug-ins do not take up much space; samples and audio loops do.

Before moving anything, consider reviewing the disk usage on C. 

Many installers to not provide a way to install VST3 plug-ins anywhere except the recommended "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3" folder. IIRC, some DAWs require VST3 plug-ins use the recommended folder. CbB does not but does have some special rules about scanning the default VST3 folder.

Directory junctions are the best method for relocating folders from C to another drive. Once moved and the junctions are setup, no additional changes are needed to tell programs where to look for data because as far as the programs are concerned the data has not moved.

Here is an example of how to move the "Cakewalk Content" folder. If there are legacy SONAR installs in the folder, Cakewalk Content can be fairly large. To relocate "Cakewalk Content" to the D drive

1) Using Windows Explorer move "C:\Cakewalk Content" to D:\

2) Open a command window as administrator and type

mklink /j  "C:\Cakewalk Content" "D:\Cakewalk Content"

Directory  junctions work for moving almost anything and they are very safe. No registry edits, no uninstall/re-install and moving folders is easy.

If  plug-in folders must be moved here is the process to move the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3" to "D:\VST3"

1) Using Windows Explorer move the VST3 folder in "C:\Program Files\Common Files" to D:\

2) Open a command window as administrator and type

mklink /j  "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3" "D:\VST3"

• Great Idea 1

Another thing that might be worth checking is what is in system error memory dump (using disk clean up) on your OS drive. I recently found 30+ GB of space used up by files that had evidently been dumped in there when SONAR/CW crashed, which was very often at one point. I couldn't understand why my C drive available space had been disappearing despite the fact that very little had been installed for a long while that would have any significant effect. I've leaned to keep an eye on it now and run disk clean up if I've had crashes.

I have an ooOld tiiiiiny 120GB SSD RAID 1 as my C drive. It ran low on space many years before I installed cakewalk, or the GB's of sample data;which all appear to be running on my C drive as far as windows is concerned. What I have done is create junction points onto a larger drive (also RAID 1, but mechanical and huge).

an example to create the link. From memory, you first create the destination folder; i.e."H:\JunctionSources\C_Music"

mklink /D /J c:\Music "H:\JunctionSources\C_Music"

The above is where all my samples & patches go.I also have cakewalk installed/running on another JunctionPoint

mklink /D /J "C:\Program Files\Music Applications" "H:\JunctionSources\C_Program Files_Music Applications"