Soundfonts plug-in

• 2 weeks later...

I've just downloaded Free Cakewalk Band Lab, and use the Bass Midi sound font vst plugin.
I load the 8GMGSMT.SF2 from my old Creative Sound Blaster, and the plugin works seamlessly in my system. No glitch at all.

Very happy with the plugin, and it's free too :).

As far as I know, there is only one VST SF2 which does several things that most free ones (and paid) do not and gets updated is:

VstSynthfont. It is 64 bit, Responds to GM Program/bank changes, allows for large, multi file SF2 files. Full 16 channel mixer. Has many other features for SF2 playback.  It is priced very fairly too.

-------------------------------------------------

The most stable free VST   is:

BassMidi VSTi 1.4 by Falconsoft. A bit limited, but works well. Development stopped on that and as far as I know it will not be getting any future updates.

On 4/1/2019 at 5:30 PM, abacab said:

I'm not sure why anybody would go out of their way to use sound fonts today for new projects, when much better options exist. Unless it's just for nostalgia or retro purposes to load an old project or something.

The wheel is old technology.   Have you stopped using wheels?

FWIW I still use sf2 as my preferred sampling format.

My main reasons:

1. They're easy to manage as they're self contained (unlike sfz which has all the samples loose in a separate folder). I can also easily combine many of them into a single sound-font. 

2. It's supported by several different players across many platforms. 

3. Most players are far lighter on CPU than something like Kontakt.

The only thing that I find missing from sf2 is it not supporting release samples, but I've never found this to be a huge issue. Setting the release time on the player usually suffices for me.

Sure, if you want massive control over your samples and need scripting, then Kontakt is the way to go... but 99% of the time sf2 does the job.

Oh, and I use SampleLord as my preferred player. It's 32 bit so I run it through JBridge in CbB. I also have it running on my SMPro V-Machine.

• Like 1