Sonixema Hang Drum

cclarry

Not knocking the dev at all  -- their libraries sound beautiful in the demos -- but look at how many hang drums for KONTAKT are already out there. I have at least four. It's almost as pervasive as music box libraries. I wish more developers would be original and push the envelope. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

Not knocking the dev at all, but look at how many hang drums for KONTAKT are already out there. I have at least four. It's almost as pervasive as music box libraries. I wish more developers would be more original and push the envelope a bit more. 

As someone that has recorded a few hang drums made by one of the most respected names in the biz.  I can tell you it isn't exactly easy.  They are also rather expensive instruments.  So fully understand why there are a few.   To be able to get a nice one in the box is a nice to have.

They were also pretty trendy not that long ago with super long wait times by any of the top guys.

Yes, of course, it isn't easy, but Sonic Couture, 8Dio and several other KONTAKT devs have detailed hang drum libraries. I realize that my opinion will differ from others, but I'm just seeing such a great deal of mimicry among KONTAKT devs that I wish they would spend more time thinking out of the box. 

Again, it's completely subjective and I'm  not trying to persuade those firmly set in an opposing view -- that's fine -- but IMO, the KONTAKT world is good when it comes to deep sampled music boxes and hang drums, so how about trying for something different? 

Edited by PavlovsCat

54 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Yes, of course, it isn't easy, but Sonic Couture, 8Dio and several other KONTAKT devs have detailed hang drum libraries.

I understand your point, but the "it's been done before" argument could also be applied to pianos, strings, guitars, drums, vibraphones, etc... I'm sure each library offers a slightly different tone, or articulation set, or something.

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

Yes, of course, it isn't easy, but Sonic Couture, 8Dio and several other KONTAKT devs have detailed hang drum libraries. I realize that my opinion will differ from others, but I'm just seeing such a great deal of mimicry among KONTAKT devs that I wish they would spend more time thinking out of the box. 

Again, it's completely subjective and I'm  not trying to persuade those firmly set in an opposing view -- that's fine -- but IMO, the KONTAKT world is good when it comes to deep sampled music boxes and hang drums, so how about trying for something different? 

I own 8 guitars and don't even have a tele.

Not sure how much you know about the HAAG drum, but there is a fair amount of difference between them.  Most are even tuned to a particular scale or melodic idea and are anything but chromatic.  

(also how many of them work with the Free Kontakt player like the one in the op?)

36 minutes ago, antler said:

I understand your point, but the "it's been done before" argument could also be applied to pianos, strings, guitars, drums, vibraphones, etc... I'm sure each library offers a slightly different tone, or articulation set, or something.

I've advised at least a couple dozen sample and plugin developers over the years, so I definitely have some opinions.  Yes, one could easily make a similar observation about other extremely competive areas such as drums and pianos. But I think you're lost in the weeds on my point.

I'll stop at this post. I was simply expressing that I find there's far too much of sample developers copying territory that's already well covered and failing to explore new territory. Of course, if a developer can cover that well saturated area and bring something innovative to the table that's great. But I'm saying I didn't observe that on a cursory look -- maybe I missed something. Anyhow, it's just a point of view. Innovation is rare and immitation is the norm. I'm just wishing for more developers to innovate, that's all. 

When Orange Tree Samples, who I've worked with, came on the scene, they innovated. No other guitar sample library was as detailed and innovatively scripted. Truly brilliant, a big leap in a category I care a lot about as a musician too. And there were a lot of guitar libraries out back then, but not with that kind of innovative scripting and not at a level where top movie, trailer and TV producers -- even pop artists -- could use sampled guitar in the final production. So that's an example of a developer that innovated. And of course, a ton of other developers copied Orange Tree Samples' since then. 

I think we're starting to see some great things with physical modeling the past years. Some real innovation.  Anyhow, I'll stop there. Not everyone is going to understand my point or agree. That's okay. 

Edited by PavlovsCat