mixer board and usb possible?

rollsaround

Question

3 answers to this question

The Notepad 12FX has its own ASIO driver ( https://www.soundcraft.com/en-US/softwares/notepad-firmware-and-control-panel-setup-windows-v2-0-4-windows ), so yes.

However, the ASIO driver is limited to 4 mono / 2 stereo inputs, rather than exposing every channel separately:

ASIO Input 1  L & R  come from channels 1 & 2
ASIO Input 2 L & R come from either channels 3 & 4,  the mix of the stereo pairs 5 thru 8,  or the entire mix.

If you're only recording 2 mics, then you have them covered on ASIO Input 1 L  and ASIO Input 1 R.

The stereo output from Cakewalk will appear on stereo channel 9/10.

Be warned. Soundcraft mixers have issues with the interface part, the mixers are great- I bought  a Signature 10  to use for live performance and the USB worked for about 2 years and now is broken. We only played 7 gigs with it and I also used it briefly as an audio interface.  I googled my issue and it seems common. I contacted tech support and they gave me a pulled off the shelf answer which was irrelevant.  I think it's the chip inside the mixer is toast. I asked if this is due to USB 3 on their user forum and it's been 3 months and nobody has answered my question. 

Better off with a dependable interface like Focusrite or Motu and a none usb mixer. Possibly the Behringers have better life span. I was  in a band a few years ago and we collectively bought a Yamaha  USB mixer. It is still working as far as I know. It used Steinberg drivers and was well done. 

My Behringer UFX1204 USB/Firewire has worked well for several years. A couple small issues like scratchy headphone pot and getting a bit warmer than I'd like but otherwise a solid unit.

It has:

4 mono/mic, 4 stereo, & 2 AUX channels giving me 8 stereo pairs to record from, great for digitizing analog multitracks.

2 stereo channels can be used as USB/Firewire Main outs which allows the other channels to be recorded "wet" when using outboard FX.

An onboard multitrack recorder with thumb drive port and a 3 year warranty make it a pretty good deal for home use.