Note names/numbers in PRV

Lawrie Anness

Question

Apologies if this is a facile question, but I have am a relative beginner who has just started using keyswitches and I thought I was going crazy when the keyswitches failed.  I have figured out that when my keyboard send s out Middle C (C4), Cakewalk's PRV sees it as C5 and my Ample Guitar VST (inside CbB) sees it as C3.  I also have "Chordie" which confirms C4.  Can anyone tell me if its possible to align these or at least see the note number CbB receives?

3 answers to this question

There are 2 ways you can go about this. Accept the fact that Cakewalk starts at Octave 0, whereas almost everything else starts at Octave -2.

So if Ample Guitar says C3 you need to use C5. A lot of people work this way. You get used to it.

OR:

You can go to Edit -> Preferences -> Display -> Base Octave for Pitches (right at the bottom) and change it from 0 to -2.

Now the lowest note on the PRV is C-2, instead of C0. And when Ample guitar wants C3 you look for C3 on the PRV. Makes life easier.

EXCEPT:

There are a few VSTs which use C0, so you have to compensate with those. Also, when you start using Articulation Maps (which you should be doing) they will all be wrong.

Takes yer choice. 😀

Articulation Maps: Look at this and this.

Many thanks for the explanation Nigel.  I had previously believed C4 was Note 60 and that it would be the same on on all midi systems.  Thanks also for the info about the Base Octave control, I had never heard of it!   

I had already looked at the Creative Sauce Articulation Map video.  Is your comment about these maps related to maps I import?  I had thought that if I was creating my own it would be best to go for the option of adjusting the Base Octave, at least that way my keyboard, PRV and Guitar VST would all be reporting the same?

On 2/18/2021 at 11:59 AM, Lawrie Anness said:

I had already looked at the Creative Sauce Articulation Map video.  Is your comment about these maps related to maps I import?  I had thought that if I was creating my own it would be best to go for the option of adjusting the Base Octave, at least that way my keyboard, PRV and Guitar VST would all be reporting the same?

Yes.

Yes.

Just don't forget about the change if you ever decide to import a map. 😀