A Fine Example of IK Stupidity

cclarry

MODO Bass is better than any of the sample libraries I have for bass.

I still use Amplitube over Guitar Rig in most cases.    The Mesa Boogie collection is really good.  I also Like the Princeton, Wampler effects, Fulltone collection and a few others. 

I use a few of the compressors in T-Racks, mostly the 1176.

I don't care much about their samplers and sampled contents, although I will say that if you are doing an 80s production, the Hugh Padgham drums will work nicely.

• Like 2

I got into IK when Cakewalk offered the Classic Studio Reverb at a discount. Fell in love with the sound of those reverbs. Still use them today.

Then I got into Amplitude. Loved the clean sound it had. (By this time I already had Guitar Rig and Gear Box Gold. No usable clean in them) Now I have Amplitude 5 and am really enjoying the heck out of it. 

Then I got T Racks to upgrade the CSR to 64bit and really fell in love with the sound of the Neve sims. Haven't looked back since.

If you do not want to use these plugs, don't.  You can find just as good in another company. You might even find them cheaper. 

Me, I'm sticking with what I got.

If your new to IK, wait for the big sale on the Total Studio Max sale. You will make out like a bandit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

you can save money, but some brands in this industry do such deep discounting it devalues their regular prices. As a marketing pro, I would never advise discounting a currently active product line as deeply (at 75% or more) like IK, Waves and Izotope often do. It can greatly alienate loyal customers who paid full price and it trains the market to wait for deep discounts. I mean, most of us hobbyists and semiprofessional musicians aren't going to pay full price for Waves plugins anymore. They've trained us not to. 

Or, you can develop a product that's so good that it will sell well even without discord prices like a certain company that makes a certain equalizer plugin... FabFilter. Pricing it reasonably also works.

Sales and freebies are also used to fool users into thinking products are just "flying off the shelves" when, in fact, the only way for the product to have some sales is to be sold at a lower price.

A few examples of IK shenanigans:

- Hyped Amplitude 5, then product comes out with incorrect copy pasted graphics on some amps, wrong functionality...And less performance.

- While you can open Syntronik presets in Sampletank, you cannot edit the parts. That's a bit weird, since Syntronik is just a glorified preset player. Don't believe me? See how easy is to create your own presets.

- MODO Bass still has a series of persisting bugs that IK knows about but hasn't fixed. Amplitude is their priority now, even though these bugs have existed long before marketing for AT5 even existed.

- Amplitude still has an annoying quirk with the spring reverb in amps, where they have too much reverb, not behaving at all like the real thing. All your reverb amounts are between 1 and 3. Either that is wrong scaling on that knob or something else. IK knows about this and have not done anything about it.

- Their feature suggestions in their forums. Mods will make those to create traction even though IK devs never read them and it's not known if user suggestions are passed to them.

- Have you ever tried sending IK an email and wondering which of the six departments it should be for? Isn't that logistics that the end user should not concern themselves with?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grem said:

Then I got into Amplitude. Loved the clean sound it had. (By this time I already had Guitar Rig and Gear Box Gold. No usable clean in them)

I love the sound, too. IMO it is one of the best guitar amplifer simulations and I have quite a few. Though I don't have Amplitude max, I just have some collections, but they are superb.

On the other hand I think the installation process and the user interfaces of IK products are a bit quirky and annoying (e.g. it lists all the sounds that you are not authorized to and T-Racks does not allow just to install the components you have ...).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, marled said:

I love the sound, too. IMO it is one of the best guitar amplifer simulations and I have quite a few. Though I don't have Amplitude max, I just have some collections, but they are superb.

On the other hand I think the installation process and the user interfaces of IK products are a bit quirky and annoying (e.g. it lists all the sounds that you are not authorized to and T-Racks does not allow just to install the components you have ...).

And you have to baby the installations, which defeats the purpose of having a product manager.

As much flak as Waves receives (and deserves), their manager is simple. Select the plugins you want and tell it to install. No installer button clicking, UAC annoyances. Arturia does the same. When you have to manually click buttons in installers, your product manager is just a gatekeeper that block access to something you were going to do anyways if the installation was manual: downloading and running the installer manually.

Another IK Shenanigan:

- None of their installers are signed. This is a bit strange from a business point and leaves the door for security risks, as the installer just shows "Unknown Publisher".

quote - Amplitude still has an annoying quirk with the spring reverb in amps, where they have too much reverb, not behaving at all like the real thing. All your reverb amounts are between 1 and 3. Either that is wrong scaling on that knob or something else. IK knows about this and have not done anything about it. quote

This 'bug' feature has really frustrated me for a long time, and then you get the Vibro-King and the reverb is barely audible at full mix. Did send a ticket the reply was "well I can hear it alright" 

11 hours ago, Grem said:

I wanted the Larsen plugin, but was not gonna pay that price. Took a while to go on a good sale, but I finally got it. And it's really nice. Worth every penny I paid for it.

That thing is amazing! I don't know what sort or magic sauce they poured into it, but so far everything I've run through it sounds better!

Well worth waiting for a sale! It's basically a preset machine that you can tweak a bit, but that's useful for those of us without pro mastering skills. Provides a starting point and signal chain for respective genres.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/lurssen/

What Gavin Lurssen has to say...

• Like 2

I could be upset to about the reactivation fee of $10.00 but I'm glad I will be able to download my purchases.  As I had them on a USB hard drive that was on the top shelf and not so little kitty ( sweetheart ) ended up having the HD take a tumble and looks like it is a goner.  My fault for leaving it up there. I'm the one who wanted the cat and I know now not to leave the HD out like an idiot.    Especially leaving it on the top shelf of a tall bookcase :(

My wife even said at least it was the cat that did it. 😂     She knows me too well.  So the cost will be a new 2TB hard drive, activation fee and time to download the products.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, abacab said:

That thing is amazing! I don't know what sort or magic sauce they poured into it, but so far everything I've run through it sounds better!

Even gain matched? Some people have noted on T-Racks modules that they actually increase the gain of signal going through them even when you haven't touched that knob at all.

21 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I know we can leave real gear to heirs; does anyone know if these virtual gear companies also disallow transfers to heirs?

Make sure your heir has access to your email account and the vendors password. Simples, you live on to be possibly 100s of years old. 🙂 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, cclarry said:

This is true...

And, according to one KVR review, Lurssen Mastering Console boosts the output of incoming audio by 6 dB even with everything bypassed and there's no way to change that behavior, except for using a plugin after it to correct this "feature".

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino
  • Sad 1

xD

Oh Boy ! ...what a thread .....

T Racks throttles the extra headroom on my machines into the Red ...I play Blues ,Rock and Jazz ...I don't need to be louder than a Heavy Metal Band .

Thankfully the Lurssen does not do that over here ... That KRV dude may be hitting the bong super hard if that is happening to him ....

With IK I have taken a Rag Tag approach on buying their products ...If it goes on sale and if I think I want ( need ) it I will buy it ...

Yeah I bought some Artist and Amp collections ...they are nice ...but as people say ..it don't win me any Jam points or better upgrade pricing  ...

I haven't done the group buys ,So when I want to buy something ...IK may think I'm gonna pay full price if its not on sale ...

Forgetaboutit ...I was fresh off the boat 30 years ago .

No Ken Do No Ken Do

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, abacab said:

If I believed everything that I read on KVR... well nevermind... 😉

I would love to test that. Unfortunately, all attempts to load Lurssen end up with the dreaded mkl_intel_thread.dll missing error ARC users were plagued with many moons ago and that IK products tend to cause on people trying to run Python Anaconda environments in their machines. IK doesn't know what causes that issue and none of the solutions I found worked. And this is not a case of "your hardware is not compatible with the product" as is with MODO Drum requiring AVX instructions. My hardware is more recent than the minimum required to run Lurssen.

38 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

I would love to test that. Unfortunately, all attempts to load Lurssen end up with the dreaded mkl_intel_thread.dll missing error ARC users were plagued with many moons ago and that IK products tend to cause on people trying to run Python Anaconda environments in their machines. IK doesn't know what causes that issue and none of the solutions I found worked. And this is not a case of "your hardware is not compatible with the product" as is with MODO Drum requiring AVX instructions. My hardware is more recent than the minimum required to run Lurssen.

Perhaps you should be using separate machines for your DAW and development environment?

• Like 2

I am pretty happy with most of the IKM stuff I have. I use Amplitube, Larussen, T-Racks. They are decent. The syntronic stuff has not blown me away. Neither has Samplitube. I am glad I didnt buy into it. The MODO line looks really interesting. I demoed  Drum and Bass. It was cool but a little heavy on CPU with my old system. I upraded recently. I might try it again if it goes on a decent sale.