Jump to content
amiller

River Ride

Recommended Posts

I've written and recorded 9 guitar oriented instrumental songs.  It has taken me forever but I'm now in the final mix down phase.  I'll be posting them here on a staggered basis.  Please give a listen and let me know what you think as I finish up each song.

River Ride

 

Edited by amiller
Added URL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked this.
You captured the feeling of floating on a river...  then it got a little rough 🙂
Maybe the drums could feel a little bigger and a little wetter??

 

But that is just my take... still believe its a nice piece.

Edited by garybrun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, garybrun said:

I liked this.
You captured the feeling of floating on a river...  then it got a little rough 🙂
Maybe the drums could feel a little bigger and a little wetter??

 

But that is just my take... still believe its a nice piece.

Thanks for listening and commenting.  Yeah, I always think the drums, especially the snare, could be a little wetter.  When I solo the snare it sounds like it has too much reverb but when I hear it in context it sounds dry.  Maybe the type of verb and settings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is quite a good mix in my opinion. The acoustic and electric guitars blend nicely and go to the right places. If I was producing a video of a canoe trip I'd definitely want to use it. Only one thing, I'd say. The 30-second synth part at 2:40 is a good refrain but maybe a different sounding synth here? Or maybe instead...  just a thought... let the acoustic have a go out front for a bit. (I assume that section might represent the 'folding area' sign you ignored. In Canada, we call that a portage). You could make it 'big' sounding like the synth part but it would be a refrain from the dreamy electric stuff yet still be in keeping with the overall guitar feel.  Of course, it's easy for me to come up with bright ideas then disappear into the night.

But be assured, I'm aware of the work you put into this, and it shows nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sailor55 said:

This is quite a good mix in my opinion. The acoustic and electric guitars blend nicely and go to the right places. If I was producing a video of a canoe trip I'd definitely want to use it. Only one thing, I'd say. The 30-second synth part at 2:40 is a good refrain but maybe a different sounding synth here? Or maybe instead...  just a thought... let the acoustic have a go out front for a bit. (I assume that section might represent the 'folding area' sign you ignored. In Canada, we call that a portage). You could make it 'big' sounding like the synth part but it would be a refrain from the dreamy electric stuff yet still be in keeping with the overall guitar feel.  Of course, it's easy for me to come up with bright ideas then disappear into the night.

But be assured, I'm aware of the work you put into this, and it shows nicely.

Thank you for listening.  I like your critique but at this point I'm finishing up the mixing.  Writing and arranging are long done...'good ideas though.😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I like this song, everything is clear and balanced.  The melody is soothing, and the whole song makes me want to find a river real fast.  Can't wait for the other songs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lynn said:

 I like this song, everything is clear and balanced.  The melody is soothing, and the whole song makes me want to find a river real fast.  Can't wait for the other songs.

Thanks Lynn, I really appreciate the kind words.  The song was based on an actual canoe ride many years ago.  I just may have to take another trip down that river myself.😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am hearing some of Floyd's(Gilmour's) Endless River in the opening bars, another nicely captured and thoughtful piece, nice (Furry Ears smiled), thanks for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wookiee said:

I am hearing some of Floyd's(Gilmour's) Endless River in the opening bars, another nicely captured and thoughtful piece, nice (Furry Ears smiled), thanks for sharing.

Thanks for listening.  I’m a big Floyd fan but I don’t think I know that particular song.  I’m sure there’s a bit of Floyd influence in a lot of my stuff.😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, that floaty dreamy guitar patch really sounds good. And the composition is just about as cool mellow as you can get. Nice combo! Certianly worthy of the title.

 

The drum fills are very well thought out, but unless it's a fill, I'd drop the volume of the snare (and the sidestick?) just a bit. It really seems that the snare pokes out of your mix. If you like that snare volume, maybe a little more reverb on the snare? In your lead synth part towards the end, the snare is lower in volume and has copious reverb.

But in the parts with dreamy guitar, the snare is kind of loud and dry.

 

Your mileage may vary, as they say.

 

Bass guitar? well, your mix has a really nice 
"clean" quality, which maybe could do with a little more weight on the bass guitar - perhaps add back in some eq around 150 - 200hz? The bass tone has a lot of upper mids, and it cuts through great. You could afford a little more bass weight down low, and still keep a clean mix. Might be something to try, if you are monitoring on something other than headphones. 

 

cheers, and great track, dude.

-Tom

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

For me, that floaty dreamy guitar patch really sounds good. And the composition is just about as cool mellow as you can get. Nice combo! Certianly worthy of the title.

 

The drum fills are very well thought out, but unless it's a fill, I'd drop the volume of the snare (and the sidestick?) just a bit. It really seems that the snare pokes out of your mix. If you like that snare volume, maybe a little more reverb on the snare? In your lead synth part towards the end, the snare is lower in volume and has copious reverb.

But in the parts with dreamy guitar, the snare is kind of loud and dry.

 

Your mileage may vary, as they say.

 

Bass guitar? well, your mix has a really nice 
"clean" quality, which maybe could do with a little more weight on the bass guitar - perhaps add back in some eq around 150 - 200hz? The bass tone has a lot of upper mids, and it cuts through great. You could afford a little more bass weight down low, and still keep a clean mix. Might be something to try, if you are monitoring on something other than headphones. 

 

cheers, and great track, dude.

-Tom

 

 

 

 

Thanks Tom, for taking the time to listen and critique.  The verb is the same on the snare through out but I get what you mean about it poking out at times and dry other times.  

Yeah, I’m always working with my bass player to play with a bit more authority and the bass might need a bit more bottom provided it doesn’t compete mask the kick.   

By the way, that’s not a guitar “patch.”  It’s a Kemper profile...totally different animals to me.😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great "Moody " song ,  I really liked the Feel .  The tone on the lead guitar was captivating and all the backing was spot on.  I also enjoyed the drums and choice of reverb on them.     For me  .. "Sundays" were always reserved for whitewater kayaking  (in my younger years) ,  and I had many trips worthy of a song.    Great job ...      mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mark skinner said:

Great "Moody " song ,  I really liked the Feel .  The tone on the lead guitar was captivating and all the backing was spot on.  I also enjoyed the drums and choice of reverb on them.     For me  .. "Sundays" were always reserved for whitewater kayaking  (in my younger years) ,  and I had many trips worthy of a song.    Great job ...      mark

Mark, I really enjoy reading comments from someone who can relate to a song I’ve written.  Thanks for the kind words...’glad you liked the song.😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice playing and nice mellow relaxing tune! The mix sounds really clear and professional to me.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, edd987 said:

Nice playing and nice mellow relaxing tune! The mix sounds really clear and professional to me.  :)

Thank you for listening.  ‘Glad you like it.😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, thegaltieribrothers said:

Hi amiller,

Great relaxing instrumental, excellent guitar playing + great mix.

Thanks for sharing.

Good Job!

regards

paul

Thanks for listening...’glad you liked it.  For me, music is always a work in progress.😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...