SOLVED: Pops and clicks with bounced audio

Craig Reeves

Quick question. Does anybody else have issues sometimes with bounced audio containing pops and artifacts, particularly on big transients? I've noticed this problem consistently with a lot of projects but it doesn't happen all the time so it's not the easiest problem to reproduce. Anybody else having this issue or had it before? Pops, clicks and artifacts tend to persist whether I slow-bounce or fast-bounce.

Edited by Craig Reeves

I'm not in the habit of bouncing but what comes to mind is your clips are just a bit to hot to begin with so the rendering ( number crunching) pushes something that was too close over the top. I do know this can happen when you export a hot mix that never peaks in the Master bus, but after export will show overs in a wave editor.  I write it off as digital mojo.   I would recommend working at a safer level.  

Just thinking an easy solution would be to put a brickwall limiter set at -.1 or?  in the effects bin of the track( buss) before bouncing. 

Edited by John Vere

9 hours ago, Craig Reeves said:

Quick question. Does anybody else have issues sometimes with bounced audio containing pops and artifacts, particularly on big transients? I've noticed this problem consistently with a lot of projects but it doesn't happen all the time so it's not the easiest problem to reproduce. Anybody else having this issue or had it before? Pops, clicks and artifacts tend to persist whether I slow-bounce or fast-bounce.

I still wonder the samething at times even when things are not in the hot levels. Then oneday / out of the blue / I heard it, after getting a new desk for my setup which moved me about another extra meter from my monitors. 

Everytime you create a send to an Aux or bus track, it adds an extra 3 or 6 dB to the volume. To compensate for that extra bump in volume, I tweak the effects gain knob to count that boost it gives. 

I had ask this before, but rather received a lot of criticism and confusion on the question.

3 hours ago, John Vere said:

I'm not in the habit of bouncing but what comes to mind is your clips are just a bit to hot to begin with so the rendering ( number crunching) pushes something that was too close over the top. I do know this can happen when you export a hot mix that never peaks in the Master bus, but after export will show overs in a wave editor.  I write it off as digital mojo.   I would recommend working at a safer level.  

Just thinking an easy solution would be to put a brickwall limiter set at -.1 or?  in the effects bin of the track( buss) before bouncing. 

I thought that was the case too, so I turned the master bus down to where there was no digital clipping (there wasn't to begin with) and the problem still persisted. I finally got a clean bounce but I had to slow-bounce along with the audio bounce.

When you say bounce do you mean a track or a Export mix? A bounce normally is from a track to a track or a group of tracks to a bus. Is this what your doing? 

And I stopped using Isotope plug ins because they gave me grief. Nice stuff and not really buggy, but they are CPU hogs and I was getting audio crackles even at higher buffers. 

So you might want to try a bounce without them and see if it goes away. 

You should be able to replicate this playing the track in real time. It's very likely something some where is clipping.

If not, I'm with @Kevin Perry on trying to disable the 64 bit double precision but this was a fix like 10 years ago to stuff. Idk if it matters now. I think it's almost never that I use a 32 bit plugin.

Check the red lights on all your pro channels during play back. If they ever blink red, fix it.

It looks like it was the 64-bit Engine after all that was the culprit. I believe that Ozone 9 may have its own audio processing that it does that doesn't jive with the 64-bit engine. As soon as I unchecked it, my projects are bouncing perfectly. If anyone else has this problem, we'll now know what to tell them. Thanks guys! 

More likely it's just because the 64-bit option causes Cakewalk to use twice as much memory during the render. When a process runs out of memory it has to request more from the operating system, which takes a little time. Worst case, you could be running out of physical RAM and forcing Windows to page out chunks of memory to disk. The fact that it correlates to Ozone may just be because Ozone uses (I should say can use, depending on settings) far more memory than most other plugins.

IMO there is no benefit to the 64-bit render option, so regardless of what the actual underlying problem was, you've fixed it.

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

More likely it's just because the 64-bit option causes Cakewalk to use twice as much memory during the render. When a process runs out of memory it has to request more from the operating system, which takes a little time. Worst case, you could be running out of physical RAM and forcing Windows to page out chunks of memory to disk. The fact that it correlates to Ozone may just be because Ozone uses (I should say can use, depending on settings) far more memory than most other plugins.

IMO there is no benefit to the 64-bit render option, so regardless of what the actual underlying problem was, you've fixed it.

That's certainly within the realm of possibility. I have 128 GB of RAM, which is the maximum amount of RAM my motherboard can handle. Although I don't know exactly how FAST that RAM is. 

CPU power should not be an issue at all with fast bounce irrespective of 64 bit, since the bounce speed is gated by the CPU power available.
If there were clicks its likely one of the plugins introducing them. Perhaps you can try disabling the plugins one by one to try and find at what point the clicks stop.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

CPU power should not be an issue at all with fast bounce irrespective of 64 bit, since the bounce speed is gated by the CPU power available.
If there were clicks its likely one of the plugins introducing them. Perhaps you can try disabling the plugins one by one to try and find at what point the clicks stop.

I have a feeling it may be Ozone, because it just seems that once I started using it, I began having problems when I leave the 64-bit Engine checked.