Copy Question -Solved

Michael Fogarty

I will try to be clear. I work on long ambient pieces a lot. I want to copy different parts of the song to a later place in the timeline. There are 32 tracks. I hit control A -select the beginning of the place I want to copy paste and the end. I go to the place where I want to copy and all the data is there but not on the same tracks where it was recorded.

Here's what I do and it can't be right. To make sure it always falls on the right tracks, I go to the bottom track and select one track at a time until I get to track 1. Then when I paste it it is always in the right place. Surely you don't have to do this.

copy.png

Edited by Michael Fogarty

I don't understand what you mean by active track. but its late there and you should go to bed. I looked for a tutorial this morning to use the arranger but the instructor (not Cakewalk) was rambling on and on and playing his whole song to hear first so dropped it. Will look on the forum here. Thanks.

EDIT - ok, guessing what you meant, when I pasted I clicked track 1 and all fell like dominoes vobiscum into place. Very smooth and fast. Thanks again. 

Edited by Michael Fogarty

Whenever I want to replicate parts, I just select the tracks, mark the region I want to copy on the timeline, then hold down the CTL key while dragging. Works great whether doing one track or many, or whether copying to the same track or a different one.

I know the new Arranger feature is supposed to eliminate the need for that, but I do it so rarely that it's never occurred to me to figure out how the Arranger works.